Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie1973_gw

What happened to this marble seam?

julie1973
9 years ago

My beautiful imperial danby marble counters were installed yesterday. Seam at the sink looks great from the top. Then this morning I noticed the front of that seam which is visible when sitting at the center island. It looks like it was cracked and filled or something. I don't think it looks good but don't think anything can really be done about it at this point. What do you all think? Would it bother you?

Comments (16)

• julie1973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for multiple posts but I want to add some additional pics. Here is the same shot with flash.

• julie1973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more. Sadly the seam looks perfect from INSIDE the sink.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I too learned this the hard way. They put in the epoxy, and it was like a dark stain that spread away from it into the marble. They scraped it out, tried again, and the same thing happened. They had no idea what to do (the installer was pretty upset), and the seam is very visible now.

Around three weeks after, I learned here that apparently white marble seams need to be dealt with differently from all other seams. You either need to use a different kind of epoxy, or you need to seal the edges of the stone first so the epoxy can't bleed into it this way.

If this is the only place in your marble that looks bad, you are lucky it's such a small area. Ours is a two-foot seam smack in the middle of the biggest, most visible stretch of counter.

• julie1973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jillius. And sorry to hear about your experience. I sent a pic to the fabricator and I'll see what they say.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

This was a very timely post. I was considering the Danby Montclair with a sink seam in the same spot. Now I know to insist that it be sealed first.

Could you post a larger picture of the sink and adjacent counter? Thanks.

This is probably a stupid suggestion, I hope an expert will tell me why this won't work. Why don't they cut a section out on both sides of the joint and insert a plug of marble that has been sealed on both sides? It might be worth trying before you scuttle the whole slab. I bet the fabricator would be game for it.

• julie1973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a pic from further back.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

Wow- very timely for us too. Our fabricator is coming out to measure tomorrow for our montclair danby install. Will discuss this with them! Hope your situation can be rectified!

• julie1973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a pic from further back.

{{gwi:2141562}}

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

They could have easily filled that with marble instead of what looks to be polyester. I'd be embarrassed if that were my repair. Make 'em do it over.

• julie1973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much trebruchet - I was hoping to hear from you. Can you clarify for me - is the issue the whole length of the seam on both the left and right sides?( it all looks odd to me) I see a strange opaque white substance toward the top on the left of the seam and then the grayish triangle at the bottom right. Are these the same issue?

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Trebruchet, how do you do a seam over when the epoxy has already dried?

• huango
    9 years ago

I'm not an expert, but for those who have not had their slabs templated/cut, please consider NOT having a seams right at the sink.
    I have Danby Mt White Marble and I don't have a seam at the sink.
    But the water/wear-tear around the faucet/soap dispenser/water dispenser requires a lot of scrubbing there, or else there's a build-up. I can't imagine subjecting 1-2seams (front/back) to that much usage and the seams still looking good.
    Yes, I chose to go w/ a longer seam (not pretty) to the sides of the sink than to have 2 small ones at the sink. Too much water exposure.

My 2 cents.
    Amanda

• huango
    9 years ago

wrong thread

This post was edited by huango on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 10:10

• huango
    9 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by huango on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 10:11

• romy718
    9 years ago

Also not an expert, but from reading on GW, Danby seems to be a challenge regarding seams. Not sure why as compared to other white marbles.
    I did my seam (Imperial Danby) at the sink. My faucet doesn't cause much splash so I don't get a lot of water on the sink deck. I'm pretty diligent about wiping up - more so to avoid water spots versus concern about the seam.
    No issues in the last year.
    I also had to have them redo the front seam. They sent the fabricator (versus the installer) for the redo. Julie1973 - they can do a better job on that seam.

• julie1973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I sent pics to fabricator and waiting to see what they say. They do have to come back to template and install backsplash anyway. For those going with danby marble and concerned about seams, i will say that i also have a mitered corner seam and that one looks great, as do the back of the seam at issue and the seam at the back of the sink. Its just this one spot, which happens to be in a prominent spot of course! Fingers crossed that they can make it look better!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES