Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonzai80305

What's the biggest sink that can fit into Ikea cabinet?

bonzai80305
10 years ago

Does anyone know the dimensions of the biggest sink that can fit into an Ikea 30" base cabinet? I'm looking for the biggest undermount, single basin, stainless sink I can find that will fit into my cabinet.

I understand that you can shave the sides a bit to fit in 30" sinks but that if the sinks are 10" deep then they will interfere with the hinges. If I use a 9" sink will I still have this problem? Will a 28" sink that is 10" deep work?

Thanks for your help! I know I could go to Ikea to measure this, but my Ikea is really far away.

Comments (47)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Any sink cabinet can fit a sink that is 3" less than it's overall size. You do NOT want to get into scooping the sides of cabinets. Especially with frameless, like Ikea. Without a face frame, the sides are all you've got supporting the heavy countertop.

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

I have a 36" farmhouse sink in a 36" IKEA cabinet.

• bonzai80305
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I'm just having a hard time finding a 27" sink for my 30" cabinet. I don't really want to go down to 25" sink.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Assuming your sink box is flanked on both sides, you have 2 side walls. We put a 30"/9-1/2" deep sink in a 30" base by shaving the 2 sides and never noticed a problem with the hinges. Note that my sides are not vertical and the corners rounded, so only part of each side, where dimensions were largest, needed shaving. I did ask DH and son to set the sink as far forward as they could, too, closer than the sink instructions suggested. I sort of assume a deeper sink could be set back slightly instead, though, to clear the hinges if they were in competition.

BTW, they decided it wasn't necessary because of the amount of cabinet rim left in place, but my instructions to my guys were to give me what I wanted, and if the walls needed extra support after diddling to do what was needed, such as metal bracing, to add it back in.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Check out blanco super single. Sink interior is 26 1/4".

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I have the 28" Blanco Stellar Super Single undermounted in my 30" base, with room to spare. And, there is room for the garbage disposal and pullouts underneath.
    Amazon had it at a fabulous price, too.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

"You do NOT want to get into scooping the sides of cabinets."

Please allow me to respectfully disagree with LWO. I have yet to see any failure, cabinet or sink, due to "scooping" cabinets, frameless or other.

10 years ago

RE scooping the cabinet sides:
    My understaning of that is that one is notching the top of the base wall or side enough to allow the sink to fit into or onto it. So making the wall shorter, but the weight bearing/strength feature is really the width, isn't it? and the sink will fill any gap created, so the weight of the counter and sink will still be transferred to the full width of the side?
    I am just curious about how it works.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

I would just remark that the pro installers who post on the ikea forum scoop out the sides all the time. It probably will void your warranty on that cabinet, though.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

raee:

You can scoop cabinet sides, you just can't go crazy. You've got to leave some of the top of the front sides in place. There should be a gap between the sink and the scooped side. The sink will not bear on the scooped side.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

There's a reason that all cabinet manufacturers prohibit alteration of the sink base to accept a larger sink than it was designed for. It compromises the structural integrity of the cabinet. Which in turn compromises the support for the counter above. With a heavy sink of water.

eYes, it voids your cabinet warranty. And yes, I've seen at least one counter crack when it was done to frameless. 18 months later after the company that sold the cabinets and counters to the customer was out of business. She was looking for a "fix". The broken counter had to be pulled so the cabinet guy could reinforce the Chinese cabinets, and she had to go to a smaller sink with the new slab. The "plywood sides" looked perfectly fine, but were poor quality once they were cut into and you could see the internal voids. Yeah, worst case scenario. But, if a manufacturer tells you not to do something, and you do it, that worst case scenario is all on you if there is a problem.

• xedos
    10 years ago

You folks with "scooped" cabinets -

do none of you have dishwashers next to the sink like 99% of the rest of us?

I suppose you all have lightweight laminate counters too ?

Strictly speaking Trebruchet is correct, it CAN be done.

BUT - it's not the sort of thing that would be recommended by a cabinet manufacturer or a competent installer. A savvy designer will also have you sign a waiver if you insist on putting 51 gallons of sink into a 50 gallon sinkbase cabinet.

I have to agree with LWO, it's not the sort of thing to advise people to do that have to ask about the procedure in the first place.

And, I have seen this exact failure , twice.

• bonzai80305
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone for the input and expertise!

We may go with the Blanco just to avoid the hassle of adjusting the cabinet but I was hoping to find a slightly bigger sink. If I don't scoop the cabinet at all, I think the biggest sink I can fit in there is the Artisan Chef Pro zero radius 29x19 (inside is 27x17x10) which is the same as the Frigidaire FPUR2919 10mm radius. But I could only find one review on each of these sinks. Anyone know anything about the Artisan or Frigidaire sinks?

• dan1888
    10 years ago

If you're worried about a 'scooped' cabinet box then brace it to reinforce it's carrying capacity. The corners transfer the weight to the floor through the adjustable feet.

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

When I was searching for a silgranite sink that would fit into a 30 inch cabinet, I found the undermount Blanco Precis Cascade on the blanco canada website, specifying "Minimum cabinet size 30" (760 mm). I got happy until I looked at the diagram which has the SAME measurements as the Blanco Precis Cascade on the USA site, which specifies a minimum cabinet size of 33 inches! Since the outer edge is 28 3/4", it would not fit into most 30" wide sinks with 3/4" walls unless the top edges were scooped.

Would be nice if Blanco would take pity on us and reduce that width by 1/4 inch so that it would fit into those 30" wide cabinets (28.5 inch interior space).

Here is a link that might be useful: Blanco Canada Precis Cascade

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

There are many people on IKEAFANs who scoop the sink cabinet sides. Sometimes It involves extra bracing and sometimes the people install cover panels on either side of the cabinet as well for extra strength.

Here is a link that might be useful: One scooped side in action

• bonzai80305
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FWIW: I took measurements of my friend's Ikea installation to ascertain the following Ikea cabinet dimensions for those folks who want the biggest sink with minimal cabinet scooping/adjusting:

The top hinge is 9 1/8" from the top (so 10" sinks that are very wide can interfere with the hinge unless you set the sink back from the counter enough. The hinge goes back 2 5/8")

The inside width of the cabinet is 1 9/16" less than the outside width.

All this to say that I think the biggest sink I can fit in my 30" Ikea with minimal cabinet adjustment is the Water Creation SS-U-3018B that is 30x18x9.

Now onto the faucet. I did not realize these decisions were going to be so hard!

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

Make sure you post the "scooping" and the final result!

• YuliaO
    10 years ago

what about kohler stages 33 inches?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Apparently "all" cabinet manufacturers does not include IKEA. Their warranty does not specifically exclude "scooping".

I have years of experience as a cabinet manufacturer and the state of Florida has licensed me to do structural repairs in buildings up to 3 stories high, so I'm at a loss to figure how the removal of even 1/3 of the side of a cabinet will result in the loss of any measurable structural integrity.

The weight of almost every countertop I've installed has been borne on very thin shims used for leveling at the perimeter (cabinet backs and fronts), not sides. The function of unexposed cabinet sides is to hold hinges, drawer slides, and the front and back together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Warranty

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 8:33

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

I scooped out my 24" IKEA sink base in my second IKEA kitchen, but had a 2x4 "rail" installed behind it that was lagbolted to the wall and the bases were screwed into the 2x4 as extra support to make up for the cabinet mod that was done. I did have more granite on that side due to the 2x4 installed behind the cabinets, and the dishwasher was not next to the sink, it was diagonal to the sink on a different wall. My granite guy told me it was all overkill.

Ikea cabinet sidewalls are 3/4" particle board and pretty solid things, if you do a mod, I would suggest applying clear silicone to the raw edge after it is cut just in case there is condensation under the basin.

• sarayale
    8 years ago

Hoping someone can give me advice along the same lines. I am building a house and bought kohler undermount sinks that measures 19 13/16" in width. If I have drawer bases on each side of my sink base--can I fit this sink in a 21" cabinet. Assume the sides of my cabinet will take up 1.5 (for both sides)inches so I am left with 19 1/2 inches. I am figuring that the lip of the undermount sink can sit on the side walls of the cabinet and extend into the flanking drawer bases if necessary. Can any experienced cabinet installers tell me if this will work without any issues. I like to make the sink base as small as possible so I have more room for drawers on the sides.

8 years ago

Is the exterior dimension of the basin 19 13/16", or is that the measure from the edges of the flanges? If it is the measure of the basin itself, sounds like it will not fit. I am not an installer, but 19 1/2 = 19 8/16 which is 5/16 too small.

• sarayale
    8 years ago

its the total dimension of the sink including the flanges so sink base is smaller. I talked to an installer today and he is pretty sure it will work.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

I would never have thought that you could squeeze a disposal under a sink that deep. Looking forward to seeing the other photos.

8 years ago

Thanks for posting, that looks like a great sink that I didn't see (or, probably did not think it would fit) when I was shopping for a sink.

• wildchild2x2
    8 years ago

I recently ordered the Kraus pictured for a 30" Ikea sink cabinet. For us it's a temporary measure because we are having plumbing problems that cannot wait for a full remodel. Decided to do a tear out on that wall and not only fix the current problem but run a new line for the pot filler and future ice/water and do other in wall upgrades, including a taller window, while the wall is open. So we are using Ikea and the Kraus KHU100-30 since it was the best value dollar wise for the large sinks I am used to having. Later the cabinets and sink will be re-homed to the laundry room and I will use my Whitehaven (in storage) as planned for the actual dream kitchen.

I checked the specs very carefully. See absolutely no issues with it fitting the cab. Measured the Waste King, measured the area with the rear drain. It will be fine. Hammatron's pic confirms this and so does another pic I found on this site before I ordered the sink. Our sink is right next to the dishwasher but I left room for a filler so it won't be snugged up to the sink. This gained me 6 inches of drawer space for the temporary redo.

• Michelle F.
    5 years ago

Bumping this old thread for a similar question. Has anyone had any luck jiggering Ikea cabinets to accommodate large sinks that require a 48 inch cabinet base?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Tommy: Post your proposed sink and proposed cabinet and I'll tell you if it'll fit.

• macvfamily
    5 years ago

I am buying a 36" Ikea cabinet what farm sink will fit well??? a 36"??? and can we have a disposal? this one work? https://www.signaturehardware.com/36-risinger-60-40-offset-bowl-fireclay-farmhouse-sink-smooth-apron-white.html

5 years ago

You can have a disposal with any sink/cabinet, although you may have to pay attention to the size of the disposal when you choose it (some are longer, height-wise, than others, some are narrower) to get the best fit for your space & how you want to use the undersink space.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

You can install a 35 1/2" apron sink in a 36" cabinet: I did it today. Don't clip your sink in place, strap it please.

• meagain1
    5 years ago

I'd like to know if that Kraus sink could be Top Mounted. I see no reason why these under mount sinks can't be top mounted. ???

• HU-785268746
    4 years ago

I have a 36” IKEA sink base and a 28” Krause under mount sink - I am having a huge dilemma because I cans support my 28” sink. Traemand installed my kitchen and said I would have to build a “shelf” for my sink to sit on. They said I should have purchased a smaller sink base and a smaller sink! How can this be? Everything I’ve read talks about the max size for a cabinet - I didn’t think I’d have issues with a smaller sink in a 36” cabinet but I am! Help, please....

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

HU:

"Traemand installed my kitchen and said I would have to build a “shelf” for my sink to sit on. They said I should have purchased a smaller sink base and a smaller sink!"

Traemand is full of crap.

Get a larger sink please, you'll love it. You can fit an Elkay Quartz Luxe in that 36" sink base. Tell them what sink it is, have them cut the opening, install the top, then strap the sink in place with a Hercules Universal Sink Harness or a Sink Strap or two. No shelf, no problems.

• sarayale
    4 years ago

usually the countertop installers are responsible to attach the sink. They should know how to do it and it is usually included in the job--especially if you are doing some kind of stone. If you are doing a laminate countertop not sure. In any event, make sure it is included in your counter install price--might be slight upcharge if they have to do extra work.

4 years ago

I don't understand what they mean. My sink doesn't sit on or touch the base cabinet at all (it is about the same size as yours, but in a 30" cabinet). It is supported by a sink strapping system - originally it was just attached to the granite with adhesive, though, which is the standard method used by most counter fabricators.

When sink manufacturers recommend a minimum cabinet size for a particular size of sink, that is with the idea that the sink will not be resting on the cabinet at all. So it doesn't matter if your sink is smaller.

Perhaps your installer was thinking in terms of providing additional support like a strap system would be, but they aren't aware of those products (there is also a rigid metal frame product out there).

• Kari Nielsen
    4 years ago

Thanks so much for the feedback!
    Joe - do you recommend the strap system only? Or clips and the strap?
    My fabricator said they would “take care of the sink” and plan to use clips. I’ll suggest to them (and buy) the strap system. Templating for the quartz is next week and I’ll mention this.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

You can use both, just make sure the sink gets strapped, please.

• Layla Al-Ghawas
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Reading everyone'everyone's responses responses and hoping someone has some advice for me! Have an 31"x16" IKEA cabinet and really struggling to find a sink that'll work. Should I get a 28×18 and scoop out the sides?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

You can fit a 31" sink into a 31" cabinet without scooping if you strap the sink in place with a Hercules Universal Sink Harness or a Sink Strap or two.

4 years ago

If the cabinet is only 16" (front to back I'm assuming) but the sink is 18", how can that work, straps or no straps, Joe Corlett?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Good catch. Obviously the sink will have to be small enough to fit into the cabinet front to back with room for a faucet.

• Judy Olsen
    3 years ago

Hi, I have a 36" Ikea cabinet and a Swanstone underhung granite sink-QURC3322...my builder says I can't use the sink but from what I am reading, I think I may be OK? I want to have the right sink when Ikea comes out to measure for the countertops.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

It'll fit, but I'd rethink a double bowl sink please.

• Judy Olsen
    3 years ago

Thanks! any direction on super single bowls? I can sell the one I bought, I got it pretty cheap