Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Redoing oak dining room table - best finish?

Posted by hrumor (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 11:25

We have an oak dining room table that looks very sad in our newly renovated kitchen. I am planning to sand/strip the table top and try Minwax White Wash Pickling stain.

Last time, we used regular wood stain and two coats of Minwax poly to seal the table. Unfortunately, the poly did not seem to hold up very well over time.

Is there a better way to finish the table? Also, has anyone here used the white wash stain - how did it come out?

Any advice/experience is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Redoing oak dining room table - best finish?

You may want to post this over in the Woodworking forum.

I recently redid an oak student desk: strip, sand, stain, topcoats. I used General Finishes stain and poly and am very pleased with the result. A lot of people on GW don't like Minwax. I don't have any experience with it one way or another, but based on the comments here, I decided not to use it.

I used General Finishes High Performance water-based poly, 3 coats on the desk frame and 6 coats on the top and drawer fronts. I also let it cure over two weeks before using it. Whatever you decide on, with a table you'll want a good, protective finish.

GF oil-based stain is a dream to use.

Good luck. I love refinishing wood furniture.

o
RE: Redoing oak dining room table - best finish?

linelle-any pics? Did you go darker or the same color stain as it was before? We are toying with refinishing our oak dining table...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here