Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

pantry door- glass or solid?

akl_vdb
9 years ago

So we're getting new doors throughout the house, painted 2 panel shaker style. We had glass on our old pantry door. Our 2 panel shaker doesn't come with a glass insert option. So do I go to a different style, or just forgo the glass. It might break up the area a bit to have the glass, but then I saw breezygirl's door and it looked good too. Thanks!
And sorry, first time posting on my phone, so hope the pic is ok!

Comments (17)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I honestly think either would look nice, but if I were to get a glass door (which would break it up a little), I'd go for something relatively opaque and maybe textured, like rain glass.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd probably get the simple etched glass so I couldn't seen every thing in there. Than1ks sjhockeyfan , happy new year!

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

If you use a texture but sure it is easy to clean. I have seen some frosted glass that shows every finger print. We have a full glass door in our kitchen and it has ribbed glass. It takes a little longer to clean due to the ribs.

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

I agreee with sjhockeyfan, either would work. The plus for a glass door is that it does break up the solid white and makes it less likely people will be opening that door thinking it's something else. I kind of like this one, but there are many to choose from
    {{gwi:2141502}}

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks debrak2008 and suzannesl, I 'll have to go feel up the glass choices!

• friedajune
    9 years ago

I've always loved Buehl's pantry door (waving hi to Buehl), which is what Suzannesl has pictured above. I will link Buehl's thread so you can see it in her kitchen, and she provides in the thread the website for the door. Buehl's pantry was inspired by Sbarb's luxury kitchen--which has of course, a chandelier in the pantry! I will link that too.

Buehl's Pantry Thread

Sbarb's Kitchen

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think the "pantry" doors are too country for your more modern style. How about a stained wood to pick up the browns in your countertop? Here's a quick example.

{{gwi:2141503}}

[Transitional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2112) by Kansas City Kitchen & Bath Designers Kitchen Studio: Kansas City

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you akchicago. I do agree with may_flowers and just think the pantry sign is adorable, but a bit too country for my taste.

I love that door may_flowers. I feel like we have so much wood in the house with our hardwoods, but it has made me think. We are getting new baseboards and casings and doors painted to match the cabs to break up some of the wood.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I really like the door May_flowers posted. Maybe someone could photoshop some different door styles for you.

• dawn_t
    9 years ago

I badly wanted, but had no place for French style glass doors anywhere in my house, so I installed a glass pantry door to get my fix. Unfortunately, this style (which matches my Lidingo glass cabs well) was not available in a frosted or textured finish. I experimented with obscuring the clear glass myself but ended up just using a sheer curtain panel (which matches my dining room's sheers).
    Now, on to the next project... (installing the over fridge cabinet, perhaps?)

*edited to add, that I *love* the door that May_Flowers posted!

This post was edited by dawn_t on Thu, Jan 1, 15 at 13:52

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Hi Aklvdb. I don't like the "pantry" glass door for you either. I like May Flowers photo above. I briefly considered glass for my door. I choose painted wood for two reasons. 1.) the kids grimy prints would be all over it all the time. Plus the cats noses. I don't like cleaning glass. I have a glass door to the deck next to my dish hutch and have to clean it every time we host a party. These issues might not pertain to you, but I thought worth mentioning. 2.) I didn't want to have to keep my pantry arranged tidily all the time with the visibility of glass. I'm not the only one who gets in and out of it, but I seem to be the only one who cares how it looks. I'm OCD enough with everything else that needs to be straightened in this house.

Here's my door for reference. We replaced all of our doors in the reno. Interiors are now 2 panel painted shaker. I went with a single panel for the kitchen in trying to keep in the spirit of the cabs, of which I have a lot. In hindsight, I'm sure I would have been fine with the double panel.

This is old pic before we installed door handle, which is just one of my long cab pulls.

Your kitchen looks great! IMHO, I would do solid wood in your case. You have other surfaces going on in that corner with the stainless fridge, different oven surfaces, etc. I think wood would be a nice visual break there. Reminds me of mine. :)

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks breezygirl! I was looking at your pics and pining for chrome handles, even though it took us forever to find the ones we now have and love (kind of graphite coloured), my poor DH living with my ever changing mind!

I do have a small child, and a dog with a wet nose, but we did have glass before and it was fine. (see the old picture)

The dog is small and the kid, well, he's trainable :) Your corner does remind me of our kitchen, yet yours looks so much more polished and gorgeous.

We are also getting 2 panel shaker interior doors (I ordered them yesterday, yay)

And thank you dawn_t, your pantry door looks like it goes to somewhere much more fancy than a pantry. Good job!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

I wanted a "pantry" door (etched glass) too but didn't like the standard ones. Sans Sousie has tons of different designs with custom options and we ended up designing one from there that went w/ our kitchen. If you want an etched glass that isn't so country, that might be a good option :)

Sans Sousie Pantry doors

Here's the one I designed, which I do not think is country at all:
    {{gwi:2141504}}

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I know those pulls you have! I installed them in my closet. They are subtly elegant and refined.

Your kitchen looks great! Your floors are gorgeous. And congrats on ordering your doors! I love mine.

My youngest child is 5, and I still can't get her to stop approaching the glass deck door with hands on the glass. Between her, the cats' wet noses, and my toddler nephew's occasional visit, my glass door needs cleaning often. When I look closely, it's quite gross. :(

Did you make a decision?

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Breezygirl, i have been to the lumber store and they have been closed due to holidays so I haven't been able to see what they have and would look good. I'm almost thinking a 5 panel shaker etched glass (if the etched is easy to clean). And I put a bit if a shout out to you and your kid's art work display(i think it was you!) in the what to do with niches thread. I do love how you echoed the cabs in your pantry door with the one panel wood.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I didn't see that thread. I'm hit and miss here recently. I do have an art wall for my kids art. Let me see if I can find the thread.....

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's in Home Decorating, still pretty active.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz