Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fix or fixture for 80s recessed flourescent? Low cost?

Posted by lazygardens (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 11:16

The lighting in my rather small kitchen is the 1980s standard recessed huge fluorescent fixture in the center with yellowing plastic panels flush with the ceiling.

Is there a way to drag it at least into 2001 without blowing my budget?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fix or fixture for 80s recessed flourescent? Low cost?

You can remove everything and then texture, paint and put can lights in the recessed part. That's what we did as a quick fix to an outdated light and it was inexpensive.

You might get lucky, as when we removed our metal brackets and the plastic...inside the recess was already textured and primed. We just had to remove the lights and with minimal repair to the drywall it was ready to paint. Then DH added some can lights inside.

Made the kitchen feel taller too.

o

a quick / easy fix for now would be to change the yellowed panels. you can get new ones at HD or L's. they also have replacement fixtures.

later on you can go with patching the ceiling and a new light fixture - after the budget recovers.

o

".inside the recess was already textured and primed. We just had to remove the lights and with minimal repair to the drywall it was ready to paint"

that'd be great! hope the OP finds that when checking out her fixture.

I have 2 of those and if that's what we find I'll be changing mine out - maybe next yr. I'm too tired and poor this year. and I don't mean just when the yr # changes!

o

I've looked inside the box - it's yucky painted (or not) plywood.

I like the "add drywall and can lights" idea. I'll run that idea past my long-suffering handyman/contractor. And SO, who has an unreasonable fondness for fluorescent lights.

Although this is appealing, if you ignore the total lack of crown molding anywhere else in the house. Just clean up that box, call it a recessed ceiling and add a chandelier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here