Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Help & Ideas Needed For Backsplash Behind My Range

amck2
9 years ago

I hadn't planned to do a tile BS on the new corner wall behind my range. In all my previous kitchens I've just had painted walls and the simplicity suited me.

In my remodel I chose to do a full wall BS behind the coffee station for practical purposes and also to set that cab off as it's the only one w/ full glass doors - almost gives the look of a little hutch.

I brought the countertop stone right up to my large 6' window & added a granite sill, so no tile BS needed on that run. And with my expansive granite island I felt it would be overkill using more stone on the range wall. I still do think it would take away from the island & those other stone features.

However, I found through cooking on my new range over the holidays that I'm using my back burners more often on the induction cooktop than I did on my gas range because certain sized pots are better suited for those burners. I'm getting more splashes on that wall that have to be wiped down so it needs more protection.

Also, now that the kitchen area is more expansive that corner area seems to call for some visual interest. As you can see from the pic, it looks kind of blah from the LR/keeping room vantage. Instead of just plain subway tiles, I was thinking I could do something else in that corner.

I have a "square" motif going on with the weave in my counter stools, the square knobs on my cabs, the lighted glass on my cabs & the wainscoting on the wall behind the island. Do you think I should go with square tiles? Should I do a muted check pattern in cream & taupe to mirror the weave in the stools? Or maybe have a pattern like the checks in the rug in front of the sink?

The run of stone BS currently surrounding the range is only 3" high, so I don't think it would interfere with a tile BS pattern. Both it, the cabs & wall color are muted tones of cream/taupe.

Thoughts on those ideas or any other suggestions would be much appreciated. This backsplash is my Christmas present this year. DH & I planned to go to local tile showrooms today but they're both closed for the holiday till next week :(

{{gwi:2141488}}
{{gwi:2141489}}
{{gwi:2141490}}

Comments (50)

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

What a serene atmosphere. I cannot tell the colors of your stone on my monitor. It looks like a watery pale gray might work?

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely! I'm not a huge tile backsplash fan but I agree with you that above the range could use a little something. Maybe because it's in the corner it looks like it wants to be more focal point-y.

I'm thinking that some glass tile with a little blue-green to it would complement and echo the window wall. I also think that would avoid colour and pattern that would risk clashing with your lovely stone counters.

photo on right:
    {{gwi:2141491}}
    I don't know what tile that is.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Or some cement tile awesomeness:

{{gwi:2141492}}

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Oops, reread your post and see taupe. Would pale taupe glass tile work?

Or, do have china, decor colors in adjacent or other rooms that you want to carry through?

Here is a link that might be useful: Something like this?

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm loving the suggestions so far! I want to provide the best representation of the color on my granite but find it so hard to photograph. So I'm attaching a pic of a taupe mug from Crate & Barrel that is exactly one of the main shades in the stone. They call it taupe, but you can see it leans toward green. Their photo captures the color so much better than mine do.

{{gwi:2141493}}

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I have seen onyx that has a color like that in minute amounts against a white ground. That might be very pretty there, if you are able to find exactly the right stone.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Something like this?[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/marble-yard-colonial-cream-granite-traditional-kitchen-orange-county-phvw-vp~325848)

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Sat, Dec 27, 14 at 15:34

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

What would you think about this color range in ogee drop shape?

{{gwi:2141494}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireclay

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Encore has many subtle glazes that can be ordered in different shapes and sizes. One example below with a stone that appears to have some of your stone's colors:

Better view at website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Encore Ceramics

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I really like the last tile that kitchen detective posted. The taupe color would look really nice. I liked the onyx too.
    Unrelated to your tile question. I think your corner stove looks very nice. How much space does it take up on the sink wall. What size is the cabinet to the right? How many inches from the back corner to the right edge of the cabinet on the right wall? My daughter is considering a stove in the corner due to wall space constrictions.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Karenseb, no walls were moved in my remodel and constructing the corner wall was the major structural change. But the difference it made in allowing me to reposition appliances and change the feel of the kitchen was remarkable.

I was concerned the new wall might make the room feel smaller, but it has the opposite effect. I had the same worry about taking cabinets to the ceiling, but it feels so much more spacious and the ceilings feel higher because the eye is drawn to the crown and upper lit glass.

I sacrificed a lazy Susan (which I never liked) on the bottom and an awkward upper corner cab, which I was happy to see go, in order to build the wall. Overall, I have fewer cabinets, but lots more usable storage in drawers and pull outs.

I still have plenty of landing space on the right of the range between it & the sink - even some prep space, though I usually prep on the island. There's also ample room on the left for taking things out of the Breville toaster oven.

There are 21 1/2" from the back corner to the right edge of the wall. The right cabinet itself measures 16 1/2". The inset door measures 12" and the interior width of the cab is 13 1/2".

The angled wall on the back of my island is parallel to the range wall & my microwave sets on a shelf there - really works well for me. A deep drawer below it holds all my cutting boards, trivets, and plastic wrap for the MW.

I'm attaching a pic so you can see the old kitchen configuration before the angled wall was built.

{{gwi:2141495}}

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I love your kitchen so much! I love the cabinets, the counters, the appliances, the new layout, your beautiful hardwood floors and all the light that you have.

I agree that a backsplash would add a wow factor. I love Kitchendetective's last two choices. Maybe the tile from the first suggestion with a pattern inside like the 2nd suggestion. Maybe you should bring home samples for us to see and take a close up of your counters. Would love the details of your kitchen.

• romy718
    9 years ago

This one might not have enough color, Ann Sachs Michael Smith in Ghost Gloss. I would also recommend looking at the Encore tiles, possibly Mint. There are so many colors. The tiles add so much interest without being overwhelming.

• romy718
    9 years ago

This one is one of my favorites. Not sure if it right for your kitchen.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Or something in a bolder color that blends with your granite.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Just posting this pic because I like the two contrasting colors. You did say you may want to replicate the square pattern on your chair rather than do subway tile. I remember Mayflowers posting some pics of square tiles on another thread.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like what I read about design yesterday by either marcolo or palimpsest --"First, do no harm". I'd be hesitant to add another focal point so close to that wonderful window and its granite backsplash, which has a unique quality that draws my eye. You could add more "pretty" with tile, but I think I'd bring in a touch of a chef's kitchen with a sheet of stainless as a backsplash. It keeps with your clean, simplistic decorating style. I'd include a SS shelf because they look too plain without one. A high shelf between the cabinets would beef up your hood too.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I like the stainless steel idea with a shelf a lot. Also since you already have the gorgeous backsplash and reading what May_flowers wrote, maybe the very plain smaller tile that Romy718 posted at 1:00 will work out to not complete with your backsplash under the gorgeous windows if you do not do the stainless steel idea.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was wondering if anyone would mention stainless as an option...

May flowers, you speak precisely to my dilemma. While a part of me yearns to do something with oomph, I'm also wary of losing the simplicity that makes the kitchen work for me. I've had fun using pops of color in my glass cabs over T'giving & Christmas and will change out the art seasonally. Keeping the background "quiet" let's me have fun with those without a long term and costly commitment.You're right, too, about the window bringing in additional views (colors/textures) that aren't visible in most shots of the kitchen.

I'm also not sure about going too bold because my induction range doesn't (to my eye) have the heft to balance that the way the rugged grates on my gas range would have.

Yet, the splash romy718 posted on 12/28 @ 1:37 made me smile, as did those colorful cement tiles feisty68 posted yesterday. I'm really torn.

This post was edited by amck on Sun, Dec 28, 14 at 11:39

• mjocean
    9 years ago

amck,
    Your kitchen is beautiful. I agree you need more of a focal point over the range. I have attached a photo of what we chose for over our range top. It was made for us by Wet Dog Tile. They were great to work with during the project. We used one of their murals, expanded the size and added more sea creatures. We had to order the mural through our local tile store, however Wet Dog Tile will communicate with you directly once the order is placed if you wish to make changes, etc. their website is www.wetdogtile.com. Our kitchen is on their website.
    Best of luck,
    MJ

• mjocean
    9 years ago

Here is a close up showing more detail.

• mjocean
    9 years ago

Here it is as seen across the kitchen.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I'm not in favor of the stainless idea (although I have a stainless backsplash) because once a high shelf, backsplash, the refrigerator, and the dishwasher are all combined in that "L"-shape, the stainless will become a statement of its own. I'd rather see a warmer tone/ceramic or texture.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Sun, Dec 28, 14 at 13:07

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Thanks for the information on your dimensions. It was very helpful.
    I can see what you are saying about needing a little something, but not too much behind your stove. I like your idea of two tone tiles. I think a muted tone on tone might work.
    How about something like this.

Here is a link that might be useful: [backsplash[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/a-welcoming-rustic-kitchen-rustic-kitchen-chicago-phvw-vp~883910)

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like the idea of bringing cohesiveness with the stainless, and ceramics can sit on the shelf to keep it from getting too utilitarian. I think the stainless is less busy because it doesn't introduce another finish and pattern like tile will. I don't think this kitchen is big enough to handle another focal point, and I wouldn't want to detract from the window wall. There's also the hutch, island, and pendants.

What makes a range worthy of being featured is if it's a special piece of equipment, or there's no other focal. It feels to me that it's being forced into being another focal only because of its unusual corner placement. But there's a spectacular window just feet away. And a hutch, island, and pendants...

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Here is another one

Here is a link that might be useful: [backsplash[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/finished-product-traditional-kitchen-toronto-phvw-vp~117195)

• cupofkindness
    9 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen! On a different note, amck, how do you like your french door fridge? Is it counter-depth? By KA or a rebranded KA? Is the stainlesss easy to maintain?Thanks!

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm eliminating stainless as an option. I was intrigued by may flowers' idea of a shelf and came down to measure. That's when I realized I would be obsessive about keeping the stainless streak and spot free and how difficult it would be for me (I'm short) to reach over the cooktop to the top of the wall to wipe it down. Unlike tile, which I would most times just spot clean, I would have a tough time maintaining it.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

That's what husbands are for. ;)

• cupofkindness
    9 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen! On a different note, amck, how do you like your french door fridge? Is it counter-depth? By KA or a rebranded KA? Is the stainlesss easy to maintain?Thanks!

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cupofkindness (love the name..) I just spotted your question after posting about cleaning stainless. My fridge is an Electrolux counter-depth and so far - heavy use since week before T'giving - I love it.

Had a GE Profile side-by-side with water & ice in the door & it was the worst configuration space-wise that I've ever owned. As you can see from my old kitchen pic, there was water damage to my fridge cab & floor when the water line system failed--twice!

This time around I wanted lots of storage, easy accessibility, a clean uncluttered look and as few bells & whistles to go wrong as I could find.

The stainless is easy to clean (as stainless goes ;) and the handles, which are easy to grasp without touching the fridge, help keep fingerprints and smudges at bay.

may flowers - LOL It was actually his weekend breakfast-making that first gave me pause about using stainless.

This post was edited by amck on Sun, Dec 28, 14 at 14:38

• backyardmomma
    9 years ago

I was wondering what the story was with the stain in your "before" pic
    and I appreciate your info on the new fridge even when it is off topic. So do you not have an ice maker at all with new electolux or it's just not in the door? You have a lovely space and judging by all your excellent choices you made on your remod I am confident that you will make the right choice on the back splash.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Amck, I am short also so that will rule out the stainless steel backsplash behind the range for me also as I will not be able to reach it without a chair and climbing no the counter as my arms are short. Please let us know what you decide as your kitchen is gorgeous.

Thanks for letting us know that the Electrolux refrig is easy to clean as my LG one is also but I do not want another LG refrig with all the problems that I have had and I don't want a stainless steel difficult to clean Kitchenaid one if it will be like my dishwasher that is so difficult to keep clean. My LG Refrig and my GE Café Gas Range both have an easy to keep clean stainless brushed steel. Only my expensive Kitchenaid Dishwasher is magnetic and shiny and has to be cleaned daily.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

And here I thought husbands were for running fingers up and down stainless steel refrigerator doors and absentmindedly feeling the sleekness of the steel while simultaneously leaving finger prints all over. . .

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

While a part of me yearns to do something with oomph, I'm also wary of losing the simplicity that makes the kitchen work for me. I've had fun using pops of color in my glass cabs over T'giving & Christmas and will change out the art seasonally. Keeping the background "quiet" let's me have fun with those without a long term and costly commitment.

That's my motto. Keep it changeable.

{{gwi:2141496}}

{{gwi:2141497}}

24" x 24" framed vintage tin ceiling tiles

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

deleted duplicate which mysteriously appeared

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Sun, Dec 28, 14 at 23:06

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Winchester Tile has some glazes that may work.

Or, perhaps, just a piece of clear glass, mounted as invisibly as possible.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I like Mayflowers idea of the stainless but can see why you wouldn't want the upkeep. I really like the idea of a shelf in stainless to tie in with your stainless hood. What about something like this pic - simple subway tiles in a color to match your cabinets with matching grout & a stainless shelf between your uppers?
    My question is whether or not to keep the 4" granite splash. You could mock up some tiles above the splash. The glossy tiles would add interest & you could display pottery or oils, etc on the shelf.
    I think my previous suggestions would compete with your granite window ledge (love it!) & your coffee area backsplash.

• Jackbone123
    9 years ago

As you have a contemporary ambience so I would suggest to have anything with geometrical design. If you prefer square then it is perfect one. Moreover, these days 3D designs are also very popular. By the way your interiors are really impressive!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is one that reminded me of your mug color. From The Tile Shop.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Romy's got something there with matching the tile to the cabinets, not the granite, and using matching grout. You're not adding another color and very little pattern, so it's the next best thing to SS. I think the shelf is the right touch to add interest without being there for "more pretty". But do those shelves interfere with venting?

I like the smaller subways for the tight space. I don't think you need to remove the short splash.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good point about venting re a shelf. And haven't I enjoyed having a good vent while cooking all those company breakfasts and holiday meals! An unsung but major improvement from the old kitchen.

With the granite sill for decorative display, I don't think I want to have a shelf & items on it that will need frequent cleaning and could interfere with venting.

I can't wait to get into a tile showroom and see some of the recommended tiles in person. I've received suggestions and brands to consider that I otherwise wouldn't have found.

• LE
    9 years ago

I totally agree with "simple" as the overall goal. I like your idea of repeating the squares. If you wanted to repeat the checkerboard, I've seen it done using the same color, but alternating matte and gloss versions. It adds some texture in the right light, but is very subtle. I think it would be more compatible iwith the rest of your space than the more "look at me" options.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Yes, shelves do interfere with venting. If the venting is the correct power and design, it will still be effective, but you will have to clean the bottom of the shelf periodically, which can be sometimes be an acrobatic endeavor. All that said, I have a large, high, stainless steel shelf and I am not sure that I could get used to not having it, despite the cleaning issue. I keep my most used bowls and mortar and pestle on it and reach for them while cooking daily. However, I suspect that you have a cleaner aesthetic than I, so you may not desire that arrangement.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Mon, Dec 29, 14 at 14:39

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My backsplash was installed today. Grouting is tomorrow!

Almost went with alternating matte & gloss, as lori inthenw suggested, but it is not a large enough area for the neutral color I chose to have been very noticiable as a pattern.

I went with a very simple 4 x 4 crackle tile that harmonizes with the lighter shades in my granite. Super simple, but it looks just right to me. Will post pics when completed.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your help and input. I am delighted with my backsplash.
    I went with 4x4 Horus Art Cristalli tiles in Biscuit. The color blends so well with my granite and IRL you get just a touch of luster and dimension from the crackle finish.

I agree with all who suggested not to make the BS a focal point, but to have it complement the other stone features. It's so simple, but it really adds a finished look, I think. {{gwi:2141498}}

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

It is lovely. I cannot tell from your photo exactly how far it extends on the sides.
    Okay, I blew up the photo. Please do not be offended, but I wish the tile extended on the sides.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 12:05

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kitchendetective, we considered doing that but thought it seemed off if the tile abutted one side of the window and not the other. To have tiled to the window on the other side of the sink would have had 3 whites (the trim, tiles & cab-to-the-counter side by side in a small space. And the tiles would have looked dingy, IMO.

Also, my photos tend to wash out the wall color - especially with undercab lighting on - and I really like having that hint of color around the range and window. To me, it warms up the whites & ties the space together.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It fits right in! Repeating the motif of the squares was a smart move.

I almost posted a photo of wvhippiechick's sheet stainless backsplash in a diamond pattern, but that did seem like too much to clean.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Ah, I understand.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Really pretty - beautiful understated jewelry. I just noticed it also repeats the squares in your glass doors. Love the stools. Now we need another reveal.