Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gemini615_gw

Giallo Veneziano/Cherry cabinets too dark?

gemini615
15 years ago

We are in the process of selecting granite countertops for our new cherry cabinets, which will be stained "sienna". Our cabinets will go all the way up to the ceiling and the pantry will be encased in cherry wood. Our kitchen has a northern exposure and we are worried that the countertops may be too dark for our kitchen. We have chosen Giallo Veneziano for the cabinets around the room but would like to do black on the island. The desk will be replaced with a cabinet. We have selected Armstrong Exotics Afzelia for the flooring. The pictures show how our kitchen looks now and samples of the cabinet, granite and flooring. We will have under cabinet lights, can lights in dinette and island area as well as a a light over the table and pendant lights over island. As far as natural lighting, we have a window over the sink and a patio door. The kitchen is open to the family room, which has a very large window. We will have a stainless refrigerator, stove and above the stove microwave. The stove will have a black top as well. The dishwasher will have a cabinet front. Would appreciate opinions and any pictures. Thanks!

Comments (23)

• shellfish
    15 years ago

In our last house, we had dark cherry cabs, bamboo floors and black (AB) granite on both the perimeter and island countertops. We too, only had one window over the sink-our set up was similar to yours. We had no problem with the lighting-we used undercab lights, pendants, and can (halogen-makes a huge difference). The result was beautiful and I never once felt it was too dark. Sorry, I have no pics to post.

• gemini615
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm also concerned about mixing the patterned granite with a solid. Any thoughts or pictures out there?

Shellfish, good to know that you had a similar setup and that it worked well. Thanks!

• old1880home
    15 years ago

Out of the three...counter, floor, cabinet...one combo has no fluid movement pattern-wise (with the dark granite) and the other does. You want pattern in at least one of the three. The dark granite will make your kitchen look smaller and lack of pattern would look blah. I think the lighter granite is beautiful for your kitchen.

• Christine Decker
    15 years ago

I have American cherry cabs. with a Merlot glaze and I have New Giallo Venziano granite and I love it! Here are pics

From kitchen pics of new house

• petra_granite
    15 years ago

I think it's a good combo that will keep your kitchen light: Veneziano has a warm look: and be careful: if you don't like peach or pink: it can take on that look. Other simular choices: Giallo Venezia, Giallo Vicenza, New Venetian Gold or Giallo Ornantal or maybe a version of St Cecilia (many out there). They keep changing the names. Most of these help tie in cabinet colors with floors with a warm look. You want the granite to stand out.
    ~best wishes~

• Christine Decker
    15 years ago

opps! Forgot to say that you need to click on the photo to see all the pics!

Happy Kitchen choosing!

• gemini615
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cdecker1: I love your kitchen - especially the granite. I like the movement and the lightness. I think I'll have to go back (again) to the warehouse and see how that looks with our cupboard sample. My husband had pointed out one that looks similar to yours but I had a closed mind until I saw your pictures. You stated that it is New Giallo Veneziano but I'm confused because that is the name of the lighter sample that I show in my pictures. Do you think it would work to have your granite on the island and our original lighter choice on the perimeter?

old1880home: I agree that there should be at least one pattern. My husband wants to do the lighter color (which has a pattern) on the perimeter and black on the island but I'm so afraid that it's going to be too dark and that we'll lose the flow of the pattern. Plus, everyone keeps telling us that dark will make it the kitchen look smaller.

petra_granite: Thanks for the tip on the peach and pink hues. I do like the warm colors better.

Why do I have to be a Gemini who can't make up their minds? Thanks for all the comments.

• petra_granite
    15 years ago

Gemini II here! 5/24 & Mom too! 06/13! We have our moments!

• petra_granite
    15 years ago

no AB: I will put my 2 cents in!
    Go on a field trip! an adventure to a stone yard! it's fun! take your camera!
    Just an idea: Or is it too cold where you live?

• gemini615
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks petra_granite. My husband really wants the black. I'm trying to have an open mind but it's hard because I'm just not sold on having two different granites especially AB. We are going to check out another warehouse. Wish me luck. Thanks for the opinion. :)

Gemini II: Mine is 6/15 and our daughter's is 6/18. Two in the same house! Whew!

• kathielo
    15 years ago

cdecker1, what a gorgeous kitchen you have. I see you have the Miele Master Chef oven. How do you like it. I have it as well and am quite disappointed in it. Everything takes longer to bake/cook than it should, especially poultry. Master Chef is not perfect in my opinion.

kathie

• sprengle1
    15 years ago

Is that what the problem is, that I'm a Gemini? (6/4, son at home 5/27, Mom 5/28)

I LOVE the Giallo! Go for it! It's what I'd pick (and that was an easy decision) if granite was in our budget!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I have the giallo veneziano in our kitchen with cream cabs and plan on putting on either soapstone or honed AB on two hutches that are in progress.

• gemini615
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cooperbailey: The giallo veneziano with cream cabinets sounds very pretty. Such a warm fuzzy feeling.

Sprengle1: This Gemini is driving her husband nuts!

Thanks for help!

• Christine Decker
    15 years ago

kathieo - I am actually very happy with my ovens. I would list them as my second favorite appliance! My thermador range is my fav! I wonder if perhaps something is wrong with yours? I had GE monogram ovens before and they were a lot slower cooking and the temp was off! I even proof bread and make yogurt in my Miele's. I use them about every other day and sometimes more! I love that they don't radiate heat and that they are self-cleaning and wipe up so easily!

• Christine Decker
    15 years ago

gemini615 - I am not fond of mixing counter treatments in the kitchen unless it is really simple (black) or simple soapstone etc. I would like to tell you that "in person" the granite is very beautiful but really stands out! That is why I went with a neutral travertine floor. But it all comes down to personal taste. My house designer warned me (constantly) that simple is better because you get tired of it
    when you have "too much going on" It has been almost two years since we started our project and I am VERY glad I listened to her!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

Your light colored granite is beautiful. Why would you want to break up the flow with black granite? I think it will just confuse the eye to have so much going on. If you regret it after it's been installed it will be too late. Kitchens tend to get cluttered anyway and if you start with a disjointed layout that will become even more bothersome when the inevitable clutter occurs.

• gemini615
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cdecker1 and ingrid_vc: I am also worried about mixing the granites. We are making another trip to the granite warehouse but this time with a decorator who can offer some expertise. I have teased my husband that we should just go with all black (don't know which) and then I wouldn't have to make these decisions!

We have also decided against the wood laminate. The ones that match our choices have such a yellow cast to them, which I'm not fond of. That's another story!

• lisalisa2009
    15 years ago

gemini615

I too am having such a hard time deciding on granite and i'm really tempted to just get the black. I have to make my decision tomorrow. My husband has had it with me!
    I wish I would have found this website a month ago.

• helplisa
    15 years ago

We are just having Sienna cherry cabinets installed and picked a VERY similar granite(leather finish). Have you decided on a backsplash tile? I still need advise on a backsplash tile and floor tile(am thinking a darker greyey/browns floor tile.... and thoughts

• melody55
    15 years ago

Hi
    I would like to update my small kitchen with Cherry cabinets.
    Contractor says they will make the kitchen look smaller.
    I have all Black appliances with a stainless look microwave.
    I have a beige ceramic floor and a breakfast bar that desperately needs updating will use cherry look on that too
    and update the butcherblock counter top on the breakfast bar as well as the other counter top (not picked out yet) but would like a countertop with beige/black look and a light back splash.
    I love the cherry and am not that crazy about the maple cabinets but I don't want the kitchen to look too small, as we plan on selling the house next year
    Any suggestions I love the cherry cabinet look!!!
    the den is next to the kitchen separated by the breakfast bar (kitchen has one window) and open to the dining room which has two windows! It's pretty open.
    Just want some opinions.

• marilyn234
    15 years ago

I have to disagree with your contractor. We did cherry cabinets to the ceiling and have a small kitchen and did not make the kitchen look smaller. I like you was so afraid to make it look small or too dark and went back and forth with cream cabinets, but we were drawn to the cherry from the start. We are so happy with them and so glad with our decision.

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

We have Giallo Veneziano with dark cherry perimeter cabs and a linen glazed maple island. Not a ton of natural light as our kitchen opens to screen porch. I just went and stared at it and I can honestly say we've never seen peach or pink going on here and we have a light colored aged brick that could do that