Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_6333

Do Silgranite sinks hold up?

joyce_6333
13 years ago

After alot of research, I had finally decided on a black Silgranite sink. When I mentioned this to the cabinet maker, he told he his customers had a lot of problems with them after 5+ years (cracking). His recommendation was to stay with SS. He had built the cabinets for our kitchen 10 years ago, and the SS we put in then still looks like new. But it was expensive, and I thought I could save a little by going with Silgranite. The cabinet maker does not provide the sink, nor does he install it, so he has nothing to gain/lose by my decision.

So now I'm waffling over the Silgranite, or a triple bowl SS sink I found that is a great price. The SS sink is 16 gauge, and comes with alot of accessories. Between DH and the cabinet maker, I'm going nuts. And I need to decide as the size of the sink base depends on which sink I choose. You guys are the experts...could I please have your opinion?

Thanks a alot!!

Joyce

Here is a link that might be useful: SS Triple Bowl sink I'm considering

Comments (35)

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

Lots of things to address in your post. First, if you decide you want stainless steel, there is no reason to spend a ton of money. There are wonderful 16 gauge SS sinks at great prices. There was a thread from yesterday on this topic, which I will link below; it has a bunch of links to excellent value SS sinks. Second, a triple-bowl sink will always be more expensive, which leads me to my third point which is to advise you against a triple-bowl sink. You are using up an enormous amount of valuable kitchen real estate that could be better used for more countertop or a wider fridge or cooktop. None of the 3 bowls is adequate to soak a roasting pan or cookie sheet. Which of the 3 bowls will have a disposal? It will mean the other two won't, and you will have to clean the gunk from strainers for two bowls. Also, the surfaces you will have to clean have tripled. And all those drain pipes under your sinks mean you won't have much under-sink storage. My advice is to get a large double bowl sink in a 36" base.

Now, regarding Silgranit. I have only had mine for 5 months or so, but I love it. I did A LOT of research, googling back YEARS, and the only complaints I ever saw about Silgranit cracking were those that were damaged in transit. They were cracked before install, cause they were poorly packed. The advice was to go over your sink with a flashlight when you receive it to check for cracks during transit. The sink will not crack once it's installed. The only other negative comment I saw from an older sink was someone with a white sink who said it was stained. Further questioning discovered the sink was a granite composite, but not the Blanco silgranit brand. My final point is that Blanco further refined silgranit a couple of years ago with what they called "Silgranit II". Silgranit was already a great product, but they made it even better. I will link below their press release.

Final note: if you do decide to go with Silgranit, make sure your contractor knows not to use plumbers putty to attach the lip of the sink to the counter. It sounds like he may not be so familiar with Blanco Silgranit. Plumbers putty will stain silgranit, and the Blanco instructions specify to use silicone instead.

Thread Called Best Value Sink

Blanco Press Release about Silgranit II

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alwaysfixin: I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond to my request. So much information, and I am grateful for your advice about the triple sink, and the information on the Silgranite products.

I had considered the size of the triple sink, but with over 130 sq ft of counters, it didn't seem to be a problem. The other issues are things I had not considered. So thanks.

Definitely leaning toward the Silgranite again! Most of the people out there giving us advice about what we should..or shouldn't...get for our new kitchens, are not people who actually use them. What a wonderful resource this forum has been.

• still_lynnski
    13 years ago

We put a Silgranite sink in our home about 7 years ago. Loved it! Left that house, and put the same sink in our current home about 3 years ago. Love it, too!

No complaints whatsoever--even over many years of hard use and a fair amount of neglect.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

In my experience, whenever a trades person expresses negativity of the kind of which I read in your first post, it hides something else.

A hotshot plumber told me recently that KWC had such and such a problem. (Doesn't matter what he said.) I went to another person I know with 30 years experience in plumbing fixtures, and I found out that the plumber in question is always able to put the blame elsewhere when he uses too much brute force installing fixtures or does other things that simply don't occur when the average plumber or average installer are involved.

Granite salespeople slip it into conversation that soapstone is soft and porous, when you ask about it, (and when they have no soapstone to offer).

Kitchen cabinet carpenters have told me stuff that I didn't believe. They as a class seem to be the ones who are most likely to tell tall tales, misleading information, or half truths. For some reason, they do this more than any other group I've come across.

What odds would you give that this guy has even seen more than one Silgranite install? If you dig hard, he might backtrack and say oh I thought you meant...

hth

• ladyamity
    13 years ago

This is not about SS sinks nor is it about SIlgranit.
    More about a triple bowl sink.

AlwaysFixin is exactly right on all counts regarding the triple-bowl sink.

There is more sink to clean.
    The pipes under the sink take up more room, keeps you from being able to store as much under the sink than you would normally.

When you add a garbage disposal to the mix, there is a lot of "stuff" going on under that sink.

Yet, having my triple-bowl with running water (after having to secure/weight it with rocks for 24 hours...don't ask. lol) for the last 6 weeks, I'm thrilled!

Yes, it took a bit more planning under the sink so that I wouldn't be losing too much space for cleaning supplies but once we had that part figured out, it was actually rather easy to hook up ourselves....me and Mr. Amity.

I guess it depends on the life you lead whether a triple bowl would be something you'd like to tackle (on top of the counter and under the cabinet).

For us, six adults in one 1500 sq. ft. modest home,
    I have been grateful for the triple-bowl several times already.

OH, the cabinet on the wall to the right of the sink was too close to the window frame.
    After all cabs were in and I had been using the kitchen about a week, I realized it DID in fact bug me enough to remove everything from the cabinet and have the Mr. move it over.

I was gone when he attempted to unscrew and move the wall cabinet.
    The left corner came down right into the right bowl of the sink.
    He said a few choice words but his biggest fear was facing me when he had to tell me he had broken our sink.

Nooooo crack, no chip, no dent...nada!
    You wouldn't know the cabinet came down into the sink, not anywhere.

I've never owned a composite sink but for our money, we are really, really happy with the composite triple-bowl.

Just keep in mind you are giving up counter space and all the other things AlwaysFixin noted above.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    13 years ago

My mom had a white Silgranite sink and she constantly complained about staining. One of my employees had a black one and loved it. What is everyone doing with a triple bowl sink? Have we not discovered the dishwasher? No triple bowl sink will fit a cookie sheet, or basically anything that does not fit in the dishwasher inside the bowl. Same goes for just about every double bowl sink. The sink of today is a large single bowl sink with a rear corner drain. Everything fits without covering up the drain.

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Ahem!!!!.. let me just say yet again, that since the inside of one of my triple bowl sides is 18x14, it does INDEED fit my half sheet pans. Or a 9x13 pan easily turned either direction. As well as my biggest roaster.

Geez, it's annoying when people talk about things in such definite terms and are wrong! And yes, I "discovered" a dishwasher about 35 years ago... but unfortunately it won't wash many of my items.... cast iron, bread machine pan, electric coffee foamer, wooden tools, cutting boards etc) :)

I can't speak about Silgranit, but went with the triple because it offered me the chance to have the disposal/handwashing/fruit washing area in the center as well as a place to dry my handwashables and still have a place to soak and wash if necessary.

Perhaps if I had a separate prep sink in my kitchen , I'd be hotter on a single or big double, but without a prep sink, for me (note: for "me" and the way I cook) I wouldn't want only one sink section no matter how large it was.

Differences, that's what makes the world go round! I'm hoping to use a Silgranit in the mud room of our new build, so I'm anxious to hear some long term reviews. But I'll be going with another triple in the kitchen!

Photo prebacksplash...Elkay eluh4020

• pfmastin
    13 years ago

I've had 2 of the black single bowls for 2 years and they look the same as when they were installed. I always hope to have a silgranit.

• colorlady
    13 years ago

From all the posts I have read....Silgranit rocks. No question. But I wonder if the lighter colors are as forgiving as the black. I also wonder if anyone has purchased the gray or dark brown colors and if they are as forgiving. I'd kill to see pictures of anyones silgranit (or Swanstone) sink posted here.

• ladyamity
    13 years ago

I wish I would have done more research when it came to composite sinks but when I saw ours on Craigs List, first thing I did was go searching online for reviews.

Had I read the name "Silgranit" during any of those reviews I would have researched that too!

Since the only way I'm leaving this house is with a toe-tag, I knew whatever sink we ended up with had to last.

But again, had I heard or read the name "Silgranit"....with actual granite impregnated into it, I would have probably searched and waited for a good sale on those instead.

But the Swanstone showed up at less than half the average going price online and at big box stores around me so we jumped on it.

Staining: A little Comet/Ajax (or what I think is it's equal: Barkeepers Friend).
    My elderly parents live with us and it's very, VERY hard to teach an old dog new tricks. No matter how many times I gently try to remind, to coax, and even a few in-jest threats, they just won't get into the habit of rinsing the sink after they pour out a half a pot of old coffee from it's carafe.
    Nor do they rinse the sink after pouring out a half glass of cranberry juice.

Yes, both those liquids discolor the area of the sink where the liquid sits all night or for several hours during the day before I find it.

Little bit of Comet, a little swish, stain gone.
    If the stain is harder to get out than a swish, I plug the sink drain, fill with a couple inches of hot water, add half a cup of bleach and in 10 minutes the sink is like new. I love that part! LOL

My big thrill right now is a gift I received earlier this week: Grid, Veggie strainer and Dish Drain Basket specifically for my Swanstone!

I am soooo excited and yet I can't get anyone around me to do the Swanstone-Grid-Happy-Dance with me. Wonder why? *grin*
    But I'm sure most everyone here understands that elation with getting sink accessories specifically made for their sink, right? *smile*

Anyway, long story a bit shorter, here's my triple-bowl (sans Backsplash)....I've been grateful for that third bowl several times already and I'm sure more times will be coming up soon with the Holiday season here.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

New kitchen renovators should know that biscuit and white silgranit will pick up minor stains. Definitely.

Also, with a light color sink you see more easily all the little specks that could wait till later. It can lead to obsessive cleaning and rinsing until you learn to live with it.

• JillED
    13 years ago

I'm close to purchasing a Silgranite colour Biscotti. What kind of problems have been experienced with the lighter colours and can the minor stains be cleaned away. What caused the minor stains>
    Thanks.

• pew1
    13 years ago

We have had two for over 5 years, no problems at all with the lighter color and stains.

A comment on the breaking, we did have considerable problems with a super single arriving with cracks. After several arrived cracked, they sent one motor freight and it was fine. No issues once installed.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

JillED your 2 questions were answered and addressed in the posts prior to your post.

See this thread about similar subject
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1213552425604.html

Here is a link that might be useful: white quartz countertops and staining

• chriskakev
    13 years ago

I had a horrible time trying to decide on a sink. We finally purchased our HUGE single bowl, offset drain silgranite sink. My husband did not want it, since it was a single bowl, but finally just went along with it so we could move on to our next decision. Today, I heard him tell a neighbor how he really loves the sink, especially since you can practically hide a whole day's worth of dishes in it!
    We love it! I got the biscuit color and it is a light beige and is not hard to clean at all. A friend of mine has had hers for several years and has not had a problem.

• alex9179
    13 years ago

I have a Silgranit in grey and I still love it after about 2 years of use. I wanted a single bowl to replace the shallow double bowl that was there. I do have staining, but cleaning removes it most of the time. If the stains are stubborn then I do an overnight soak with a bleach solution as recommended from the manufacturer.
    We have hard water, which is why I went with something other than black. My poor faucet is constantly covered with water spots but my sink looks great.

Picture just after installation

• jimcufsem
    13 years ago

We have a black Franke composite granite single bowl sink. It is 8 years old, and still looks like new. Never a problem with cracks.

• istyleit
    13 years ago

My sister has had a white one for 5 years, she still loves it. I have had my big bowl metallic grey for only 3 weeks, but we are in love with it. I struggled with the decision since i have only know stainless steel, but i am soooo happy with it, and i love my color!

• arleneb
    13 years ago

I have a black Silgranit double bowl -- almost two years without a complaint. I love it!

Biggest problem: I have to remind myself to really clean it because mostly it looks clean with just a quick water spray. "Really clean it" means a dishcloth with Dawn on it.

The only thing I really avoid is thawing a turkey, but that's really about the weight on the undermount rather than the Silgranit . . . I'd do black Silgranit again in a heartbeat!

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Is the popularity of silgranite regional or are they just relatively unknown all over? I ask because I have had the *hardest* time even viewing one in Los Angeles -- I chase after a store the website says has them and when I get there I hear things like "we finally unloaded that sink -- everyone hated it" and "No one bought them, we got rid of them", etc, etc. When I finally located one I thought it looked just terrific so I'm wondering if there just aren't any reps in the west, are they eastern? Just idly curious I guess... they sure seem like a great idea to me! I'm still wishing I could see that cascade bowl in person.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I couldn't find any to view here in northern New England either, so I ordered mine online. People who don't want them don't know what they're missing!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi aliris..

I live in So. Cal, and when I searched for a silgranite sink to see in person, the closest I could come to it was at Home Depot in one of their kitchen models. They said they would order me a Blanco sink, but when they quoted me the price I found I could order it online for less. Home Depot was selling Pegusus(?) sinks off the shelf, which in my opinion, didn't seem to be as nice of a quality as the Blanco. I remember the Home Depot kitchen lady also said that Blanco was better..but I also got the feeling that
    it wasn't a big seller. Maybe the west coast is a little behind!
    Love my Blanco Sink!

KA:)

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Thanks, kitcheaddict -- warmfridge maybe it just is that overall they're relatively low-popularity everywhere.

Someone -- sorry, can't remember who -- mentioned that they viewed both Blanco's silgranite and Elkay's e-granite in person (with a friend) and the preferred the silgranite for reasons they couldn't remeber or articulate. Pacific Sales in WLA has both on the floor (thank you!) and I agree the Blanco is nicer. It feels smoother and more sturdy and just has a better "crumb" to my mind. IYKWIM. Obviously YMMV. But when I finally found the two side-by-side it was interesting to compare tabs with the other poster's impression.

Out of curiosity, apart from the cracks that used to at least plague the silgranites in shipping, and the staining that occurs with lighter-colored bowls, are there any other complaints to share about the sinks? I guess I'm just kind of attracted to the aesthetics of using a granite composite; natural meets synthetic...now it's me for whom words are really failing!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi again aliris..

The only problem I have had is that the water where I live is extremely hard....so on occassion I see a white residual, that I think is from the hard water. I phoned Blanco and was told to use a litlle CLR (Calicium,Lime,Rust), which can be found at the supermarket, and a green scrubbie. It worked like a charm.

Other than that, I have not issues at all with my sink. It looks like it did the day it was installed (8 months ago).

KA:)

• still_lynnski
    13 years ago

I replied earlier upthread, but the discussion's gone on long enough that I want to add another 2 cents. Love both my Silgranite sinks, and have had NO problems after many years. One of the sinks was first installed as a topmount, then about 3 years later we installed better counters and had it installed undermount. That's sure to have been stressful, but no problems. When installing undermount, both times the installers cut off the back lip where the holes were for faucet, soap, etc. No problem. In fact, there was a small discoloration on that lip from when my DH first installed it himself as a topmount (hrrrrm...methinks perhaps he used plumbers putty)and it was nice to have that cut away.

Anyhoo, we've had two Blanco Silgranite anthracite big singles, with a total of 10+ years hard use, and we're pleased as could be. We're in the semi-rural Northeast, btw, and first read about this sink right here on GW.We love the quiet look and the huge functionality, and if we were to buy yet a third sink, we wouldn't change a thing.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

With some stainless sinks, specks and particles slide off easy while other finishes are grippier. Silgranit is like that. A bit grippy.

I got a biscuit sink so it would be discreet and not call attention to itself. Mission accomplished. With a steel sink, it's an eye draw.

A month ago I posted about "stains" but it's more like tea and coffee darkening it a quarter shade, and making it generally less attractive. The original color comes back, when you leave a little Ajax or Comet powder on the sink base. Later you scrub a bit. It's a whole lot easier than trying to whiten your teeth. No comparison.

HTH

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I live in a smallish town about 65 miles south of Seattle. I see granite sinks all over...big box stores, local plumbing supply showrooms, and the granite fabricator. I didn't know anything about them until I visited a plumbing showroom about a year ago. They had many shapes and colors on display. I also have seen Blanco and Elkay side by side. The colors are very close. Close enough that I had been thinking about putting one of each in my kitchen in order to get the specific sizes I need. To me, Blancos seem to be richer in color and better quality to the eye and touch than the Elkays.

Since then, I have had two people independent of each other and in the plumbing industry tell me that Blanco's granite is the best brand of any out there. This info was unsolicited, and I wasn't even buying sinks from these people. I'm now planning Blancos for both sinks.

Aliris-don't let someone semi-knowledgeable in a store sway you from what you want. It could be that the salespeople there prefer SS sinks so they pushed those at customers without explaining how fabulous the granite sinks are. Since they aren't as well known, I think most non-TKO people are leary of them if they aren't "sold" to them. I would listen to actual users here who obsessed about sink choices for months and who love their granite sinks! ;)

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Indeed, obsession is rampant around here! I should know ... I should be working instead of reading and blathering in order to afford this stupid reno.

Thanks, breezy -- I have cottoned on to the reality of salesmen-knowledge-limitation. In fairness the guy at the store that actually showed the sinks on the floor simply said he sells few of them and didn't diss them; and also to be fair, I do believe the experience of the salesmen whose stores had nixed the sinks altogether; they seem to be little-appreciated around here. But the appreciation among you mavens online is loud and clear. Interesting that the sinks may call the Pacific NW ground zero; you'd think they'd roll downhill.

Davidrol, your knowledgeable posts *always* help! thx...

lynnski -- that's funny about your dh's plumber's putty snafu considering all the mileage it's been getting here. I guess it wasn't you who sent the plumber who tried to use plumber's putty packing. I read your story with a little shock because I'd actually already forgotten about that and I really ought to bear it in mind because given what's been happening around here, there is absolutely zero chance of whoever potentially installs one of these would either know it a priori or ever crack an instruction manual prior to starting. sigh.

• shannonplus2
    13 years ago

Someone -- sorry, can't remember who -- mentioned that they viewed both Blanco's silgranite and Elkay's e-granite in person (with a friend)...

Aliris19, that was me. I'll link the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread Discussing Granite Composite Sink Brands

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Are you implying that I live "downhill"? ;)

• TheQueen
    13 years ago

Greetings, all. I'm new to the forum and I've been devouring this thread because I'm SO attracted to the Blanco Cascade SuperSink in white. I'm nearly convinced to get it...but I'm not exactly grace in motion so I'm curious to know what constitutes "dropping" something in it to the point of cracking it? Also, I saw someone mention weight contraints with undermounts. I've never had an undermount and haven't researched it...so is there a general rule for a weight limit for undermount applications?

I so appreciate forums where folks can share their experiences, both good and bad!

• Kathy F
    13 years ago

I'm also new to this forum and have been avidly reading this thread. I never heard of Silgranite before last night, and now I'm hooked! I have the same questions as TheQueen, especially re: weight constraints with undermounts; never had one before.

Thanks so much!

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

This a great thread - very informative. But I want to know Blanco's website so I can peruse all their sinks to see if they have any that will meet my (rather picky and percise) needs.

• friedajune
    12 years ago

NewSouthernBelle, type "Silgranit" in the Google search box.