Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kzim_gw

Are Viking Pro Ranges too hot for a home?

kzim_gw
9 years ago

Hi,
-I have on hold, a never used and never hooked up (store display), Viking Pro range & Thermador Pro Hood. It is half the retail price, of over $10,000. I know very little about these ranges and would like to hear GW's thoughts. It appears to be a discontinued unit after looking at Vikings website.
-We are building a home and only have the footing poured so we are a little ways off from picking appliances but this seems like a good deal if we would want this. Our family cooks mostly from scratch. And the thought of having such a high end appliance does interest me.
-GW's members seem to struggle sometimes with Viking stoves. I am not sure why. I also read that some models get very hot. Probably the commercial line and not the Pro line.
-Is there any concern buying a unit that has been discontinued from the manufacturer?
-We have a open concept floor plan with the kitchen open to the great room & dining room and wonder how rugged looking do these get over time.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
kzim

This post was edited by kZim on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 13:27

Comments (12)

• suzyqtexas
    9 years ago

I have the larger model duel fuel open burner (much easier to clean than fixed burners) and it works great no issues. I also have a Jenn-Aire hood, again it works great.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

I would not go there with Viking until I had read all the Viking threads on the Appliance forum.

Seriously, do it.

• User
    9 years ago

I wouldn't take it if it were free.

• kzim_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know some people love their viking stoves. And some have had problems. It would be a stretch for us to swing even the $5000 for the stove. I just did not want to loose out on a possible opportunity and appreciate your feedback. It looks like many on here like the Wolf. They have me first on the list for their 30" display unit, it is a little more the $4000. How would you feel about that? Thanks!

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

My Viking range (new two years ago) got very hot on the door and the control panel when the oven was used; hot enough to burn your fingers if you touched the knobs. It had other problems as well and Viking bought it back. I then got a 30 in. Wolf range (display model) and have been very happy with it.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I heated my 2,400 sf house in Michigan with my Viking when the furnace went out one winter.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

I think you may too focused on getting a deal before you have done your research about ranges. That is a recipe for a mistake.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    9 years ago

I like that last comment! Determine what you need in a range, then go looking for one that fits that list. I mean really, does a family need a $4,000 commercial grade stove? Get a Kenmore. ;-) I love mine, and I cook A LOT.

• kzim_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whew!...I thank you.....my husband thanks you. You are right, I am not ready to buy my appliances. I have been reading this forum for around 8 months and have learned a lot about the building process and have not spent much time thinking of the kitchen. The Viking and the Wolf sure do look neat. I think they are only pro style ovens not true commercial grade. :)

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

"I think they are only pro style ovens not true commercial grade. :)"

This is untrue. Nor are Viking and Wolf the only brand options.

Commercial grade ranges are not what most people install.

What you may be referring to is "pro style" ranges -- usually gas and stainless that look more or less like the Wolf and Viking. There are many other brands of these including Thermador, Dacor, Culinarian, Blue Star, Five Star, GE Cafe, Bertazzoni and several more that don't come immediately to mind.

Each range can do the basic job but there are wide variations in features, options.

Then there are straightforward residential ranges which also have a wide range of features and options.

This can be an overwhelming choice. But it's requires time and thought if you cook to any degree.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

The Viking and the Wolf sure do look neat

I got a Viking cooktop because I loved the look of it. I hated that thing the entire 8 years I lived with it. It never simmered anything properly, even with a simmer plate, and the grates were raised up so high (which added immensely to the great look) that the high-heat wasn't really so high. Not to mention that the markings wore off on the knobs.

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

I was going thru the same thing! I was searching all over the place for the 48" range "of my dreams"...thinking of course, Viking and Wolf was the way to go. I did decide to go with a 48" pro style, but not either of those 2 brands.. got it for 50% and got a 3 year warranty.
    Make sure if you are getting a "deal" you are protecting your investment. No one really "needs" a pro style anything, they are a luxury but the choice to own one should not make you panic and feel uncomfortable...believe me if you are remolding your kitchen you will have enough moments to panic and feel uncomfortable about REAL stuff, so don't make it worse!! LOL!! Look around, eventually you find the right fit for you and your kitchen. Good luck!