Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vermonter_2009

ARgh! Are there ANY full-depth refrigerators that look built in?

vermonter_2009
14 years ago

I've spent many hours on this forum refining our kitchen plans but I've been unable to solve this issue. We are framing the wall behind our refrigerator so that we can get a large, full-depth frigerator and recess it into the wall (there are 5 of us). We don't mind if it sticks out a few inches from beyond the counters, but we did hope to make it look as integrated as we could. Our cabinet maker is waiting for our dimensions.

As long as the unit vents out the front, I thought it would just be a matter of finding a fridge with a door hinge that would allow it to open while sitting flush with the cabinetry surrounding it.

The problem is, I can't find a reasonably priced unit that is both full-depth and able to integrate into the cabinetry.

We don't want to spend more than $2,000k on a fridge (the less the better). We don't want to pay up for panels either ($1500).

Can anyone point me towards a full-depth, ~24-26 cubic foot, ~36" wide bottom freezer that we can integrate? We prefer a single door, but in a 36" width, most seem to be french door.

Here's what our fridge wall is supposed to look like:

Thanks GWers!

Vermonter

Comments (13)

• cookingrvc
    14 years ago

My layout is almost exactly like yours. We did it 11 years ago and have a GE profile counter depth in there. Side by side.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Counter depth Refrigerators

• worldmom
    14 years ago

I'm not exactly answering your bottom-line question, but I came across something you might find helpful. In the current (Jan/Feb 2010) issue of BH&G Kitchen and Bath Ideas, there is an article starting on page 8 about how to make your fridge look like a built-in. There are several good ideas in the article, so it might be worth picking up a copy the next time you're at the store. :o)

• Buehl
    14 years ago

See the thread linked below for information on how to make a non-built in refrigerator look built in. This applies to any refrigerator, counter-depth or standard depth.

Note that the doors will need to stick out beyond the counters regardless of depth for most models. Some rather expensive models, like Liebherr, are supposed to allow you to have the doors flush w/the counters, but you said =HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Counter Depth Confused - Talks about building in a refrigerator

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

Do you really need the door to be flush with the side panels? I'm not sure any of the non-built-in/non-paneled fridges allow you to have the door flush with the surrounding cabinetry, because they need to have the hinges free to rotate. Even the counter-depth Liebherrs (I have one) have the door thickness beyond the side panels, although less than most because of their ingenious hinges.

Take a close look at the finished kitchens blog, and the thread Buehl linked above, for full-depth that were made to look built-in -- I don't think that the "exposed" door looks bad at all, in fact you sort of want it that way so you aren't scraping your knuckles when you open the thing up.

Liebherr:

• overlyoptimistic
    14 years ago

Here is a picture of our Samsung 29cubit foot fridge. Doesn't look completely built in, but we're happy with it. This picture was taken before the top trim pieces were installed.

• xoldtimecarpenter
    14 years ago

The problem with full-depth refrigerators is that they are usually 6" deeper than the standard 24" countertop, so they protrude. To make a full-depth fridge look built in, increase the depth of your countertops to 30", if you have room, and most kitchens actually do. This slso give you 30" more counterspace - a very nice feature. Then wrap the refrigerator with your cabinet material. For more information see Off The Wall Kitchens: Living Without Upper Cabinets.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

The OP has said they are going to recess the refrigerator into the back wall/room, so they already have plans for dealing with the increased depth of the refrigerator carcass/box. From what I can tell, it's the doors that are bothering them...but, unless they get a fully-integrated, built-in ($$$) that's designed to have the doors flush w/the surrounding cabinets, they cannot do it b/c the doors have to be free to swing open.

Vermonter...If you cannot recess the refrigerator into a room behind the refrigerator as well (b/c a wall will only gain you approx 3-1/2"), then either getting 27" deep base (or tall) cabinets or pulling them out from the wall approx 2" to 3" would be needed (to match the 28" depth or so...if it's important to you that the ref carcass be flush w/the surrounding cabinets/counter (The amount to be pulled out from the wall depends on the depth of the carcass. Also, since the refrigerator is next to a counter, remember the counter will extend approx 1-1/2" beyond the cabinets so the door will need to stick out beyond the counter as well.)

Regardless, the doors will still have to stick out past the surrounding cabinets & counters...

CircusPeanut...thanks for the correcting me about the Liebherr doors, I thought someone here had said the doors didn't have to stick out on Liebherr counter-depths...

• petepie1
    14 years ago

FYI, I think KitchenAid, GE, and Jenn-Air all make 36" wide single door bottom freezer fridges. The KitchenAid one is counter depth, the others are not (but the Jenn Air is not as deep as the GE). The Jenn-Air seems to run around $2000. GE and KitchenAid seem to run closer to $2500.

• marcy96
    14 years ago

Here's my standard depth Kitchenaid fridge that we recessed into the wall studs. The doors have to stick out in order for it to open. My base cabs are 24" deep, with the granite counter coming out to 25 1/2". The fridge panel comes out to 26".

{{gwi:1587923}}

• shelly_k
    14 years ago

Overlyoptimistic --

I am looking at the same Samsung or the side by side Samsung, but I think they are both the same depth. I would love to see another picture showing the counter next to the frig. Did you do normal depth cabinetry there? Can you show the side panel on the counter side? Do you know how deep your top cabinet is, or how much you pulled it forward?

Thanks so much!!

• annettacm
    14 years ago

We brought the side panels out a little, and our regular refrigerator looked built in.

• shelly_k
    14 years ago

annetacm -- yours looks great!