Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabytx12_gw

What did you do with the back of your island cabinets..IDEAS?

gabytx12
9 years ago

I am looking for ideas for the back of my island cabinets, although this part will also have an 18" overhand for seating, want to avoid scuff marks for shoes banging the cabinets and think it will add a personal touch?

Would love to see your photos!

thanks!

Comments (12)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

We bought beadboard (not from cabinet co) and painted it black. 2 years now and only recently had to do a very minor touch up.

• gabytx12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks! Great idea and seems very DIY friendly!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Here's the 'back', during install:

With countertop in place - looks big!

Once barstools are in place, you don't notice it.

• gabytx12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oldbat2be- that looks fantastic! We have the same color themes, My kitchen is cream and my island brown tone.

EAM44- My island is 2 30 inch-drawer cabinets (one will fit a sharp 30" drawer micro) and an 18" trash can pull out in the middle. so island will be 78" long, only 24 inch deep (regular cabinet size) We are thinking of doing an overhang much like oldbat2be, so everyone is not siting in a line.

thanks for your responses! it really helps!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Mine looks just like a regular door panel. Removeable baseboards to service kick toe heaters. No scuffs, esp on left side where I usually sit.

This post was edited by Mags438 on Thu, Dec 4, 14 at 9:40

• gabytx12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mags438- love this! great placement of outlets, we were going to do them on the side, but im going to show DH where yours are!

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Keep in mind that code may dictate where and how many outlets you have. Look under my island I have two outlets next to each other. We do not need two outlets. Code dictated we have an outlet accessible from each side. The inspector checked to make sure they were in the correct place.

• gabytx12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oldbat2be - what is the size of your counter overhang, its looks very generous and love the legs underneath.

thanks!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

>>

Where I live outlets are not allowed under an overhang of this depth. We put one in and had to take it out to pass inspection.

• szruns
    9 years ago

I did cherry bead board, stained the same as the cherry cabinets. My overhangs are also substantial (island is about 20" overhang; peninsula is about 15"), and so you really don't see the underneath areas too much in the dark. I felt that cabinet paneling would also look nice, but not noticeably nicer than the bead board, and I rather liked the idea of something a little different under there. Besides, bead board was a lot cheaper than the cabinet panels for my fairly large areas, and I was already way over budget. :)The bead board isn't up yet, so I can't show a picture.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Gaby- I had to have 2 outlets on my small island per code. I have one plugmold on the working side of island and this was the only other place that would work/fit. I really did my outlet placements based on which appliances would be in the island and how long were their power cords.