Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellymamom

Before and After Pictures

kellymamom
16 years ago

We finished our kitchen renovation in our 1950's ranch. We did this whole project ourselves on a very small budget. Here are the results...

Before

{{!gwi}}

After

{{!gwi}}

Before

{{!gwi}}

After

{{!gwi}}

Before

{{!gwi}}

After

{{!gwi}}

Before

{{!gwi}}

After

{{!gwi}}

After

{{!gwi}}

Thanks for all the advice, especially about BB counters (we went with LL cherry), tung oil vs. waterlox (went with Waterlox)and hoods (went with Broan Elite). There are still a few things we need to do, but basically it's done.

Kelly

Comments (33)

• bob_cville
    16 years ago

Wow. That's an amazing transformation. I love the color choices, especially the contrast between the countertops and the walls. I also love the curved corner doorway.

It looks great.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Kelly, that wall color is perfect with your cabs and counters! Love the white cabs and your new floor, too. What a huge difference that floor makes! Congrats on a great reno!

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

Congratulations! Your DIY makeover is beautiful. I especially like the counters! Noticed you put up a privacy fence too. Where did the washer and dryer go?
    Monica

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

Oh man! That wood! That counter is gorgeous. I can't "see" anything else. That is a beautiful counter. So how did you finish it? Sand to what grit? How many coats of waterlox? Sand in between? Any final top coat? Buffed, perhaps? That is amazing.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

What? No washer and dryer in your new kitchen?! That must be a nice change. Love how all of your colors and materials work together. I especially love the floors. Nice job.

• teedup1
    16 years ago

You did a wonderful job! A big, big leap from a mid-70's prior update to now.

• jillmmax
    16 years ago

Your kitchen looks great. Can you tell me the brand/name of that paint color? I've been searching for the perfect kitchen green - and I love it!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Great job! It looks great! I see you expanded into the "Laundry Room" :-)

I love how you changed an isolating door into an arched doorway that opens the kitchen to the rest of the house without changing the character!

I love that wood counter too!

• many_hats
    16 years ago

Wow, what a difference! Your new color scheme is so nice; I find that color of green so pretty and calming but with enough life to it to give it some pop.

I recognize that washer and dryer; just like our old Maytag ones! I bet you don't miss them in your new kitchen.

You also have the satisfaction of having done it yourself and saving a bundle. Enjoy!

• DYH
    16 years ago

Wonderful! Congratulations on your work and your rewarding results! Here's wishing you joyous holidays in your new kitchen.

Cameron

• Flowerchild
    16 years ago

Great job!! Love to see these DIY projects. It honestly does not look low budget. Love the counters too.

• kellymamom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the kind replies!!!!

Our washer and dryer are now in the basement. They were in the kitchen because an elderly woman lived here by herself, so it made sense for her. When we bought the house 6 months ago we knew they had to be out of the kitchen.

I think the Lumber Liquidator cherry butcher block counters are one of the best things we bought for the house!! They were only $329 for 12ft. (we got two). I sanded them with 200 grit sand paper before and between each coat of waterlox. I think I ended up doing 6 coats. It's only been about a month, but so far we haven't had any problems.

For the cabinets I used Fine Paints of Europe Brushing Putty to fill the grain of the oak (total PITA, but so worth it) then I painted them with BM Simply White. The walls are BM Louisburg Green.

The floor is Vermont black slate.

Thanks again for the advice and kind words!

Kelly

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

What a difference it makes!!!

OMG you have the same ugly floors as me just a different color - but it's the same ugly floor!!! Holy cow. I can't believe two people in the world found the floor attractive LOL.

• terible
    16 years ago

Jeannema,
    Your counters are absolutly STUNNING.........as is everything else. Great job!

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

beautiful job! and here we go again with the counters: GORGEOUS! do you think i could do wood counters in my laundry room, or is that silly?

• terible
    16 years ago

Hi Jeannema, me again. How did you fix the wood countertop to the base cabinet?

• amck2
    16 years ago

This is a really inspiring renovation! All your hard work paid off. The space is beautiful. I have to echo all the "oohs & ahhs" over your countertops - Great job!

• claybabe
    16 years ago

OH NO! I've got a bad case of TKO Slippage: I didn't even realize those were the same cabinets. WOW nice transformation. And the Butcher block is stunning. Did it come that thick or did you do an edge thing to it? And the colors are so nice and the floor is so excellent and the doorway...WOW! Nice job.

• kellymamom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Terible,

This is what we followed to attach the counters...

Attaching the Top to Cabinets:
    The top should be attached in 3 places across the width (on the front edge, the middle, and at the back edge). It should also be attached at approximately 12" intervals throughout the length of the top.

In order to allow natural movement of the top, the screw holes should be made with a 3/16" hole on the "fixed" edge of the top and 3/8" elongated holes in the center and on the "free" edge of of the top.
    Screws with washers should then be used in the center of the holes to secure the top.
    DO NOT forget to pre-drill the holes.
    DO NOT over tighten the screws as this will restrict the natural movement of the top.
    Use small metal angle brackets to secure the top to the side of any cabinets that do not have a solid top or bracing material.
    Where the top does not rest on a cabinet, it must be supported by strips of wood.
    If your top contains multiple pieces, ensure the corner fittings have been tightened after the top has been installed.

kateskouros,

I think wood counters would be nice in a laundry room.

Kelly

• ilovemynewkitchen
    16 years ago

Jean.. Your new kitchen looks wonderful!!
    We had that same exact floor in our kitchen. Same color..
    My sister had the color that buffettgirl had!
    I LOVED that floor! :)
    This was in the early 90's.
    Hmmm.. wondering if it's still there.....

• natal
    16 years ago

Really nice job! I didn't realize those were the same cabinets either. That's always impressive! Love the switchout of the swing door with the arched doorway. We have a swing door, but it's almost always open. I do like the option of being able to close it when the need arises.

New fence and new garage or is it shed? Aren't we nosy, LOL!

• terible
    16 years ago

Jeannemom, now I fully understand and admire, how you pulled off such a professional kitchen remodel. Your detailed response is greatly appreciated, thank you.

• lily1342
    16 years ago

Here's another one loving your BB countertops. They look just GREAT! I also thought the cabinets must be new. Wow, you put a lot of work into all that but it has REALLY paid off. If you don't mind, how much was your small budget? Whatever it was, it is amazing what a little $ and a lot of ingenuity and hard work can do!!!

• tonilynne
    16 years ago

Your kitchen transformation is just beautiful! I love the colors and the new flooring is gorgeous.

Our old kitchen had the same lovely flooring. Every time I mopped it, more of the pattern came off. It felt so good to tear that flooring up!

• jillypie
    16 years ago

I had that floor in the 80's. Armstrong Solarian I think- same color. What a rush of memory that is! Your new kitchen looks phenomenal.

• rosie
    16 years ago

FANTASTIC renovation and a great inspiration kitchen for the Finished Kitchens Blog. I do especially love the richness of the counters. Is there any special trick to using that finishing putty?

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

OMG there are so many of us with that floor.

I was going to say to tonilyne - I'm surprised your floor hadn't worn well because for all it's ugliness my floor is still in pretty darn good condition and I believe Jillypie is correct - it probably is Solarian because it's very thick and very durable. it definitely wasn't a cheap floor. ugly yes. Cheap no.

• dianalo
    16 years ago

I now have a serious case of CE (countertop envy)!

Your new kitchen is fabulous and I bet you are loving every minute of using it. That was great that you could save the cabs and have it look like new. I thought they were new until it was pointed out as well. You really pulled it off if you were trying to fool anyone ;)

• janwad
    16 years ago

I'm sitting here wondering why I had to spend a gazillion dollars replacing virtually the same cabinets. I had no idea they could be totally transformed.

This is a real eye opener, as well as eye-popping!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Kelly, You guys did a fabulous job on everything. I am a fan of your countertops, too. I thought about going with wood and changed my mind. Darn!

Congrats!

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

Great transformation! How did you paint your cabs? I think I think I have the same cabinets. Were yours solid wood or do they have some type of laminate/veneer on them? I'm in the process of getting new countertops/backsplash and repainting but I'm not sure how I'm going to like the cabinets after I'm done. I think mine have some type of veneer on them and I'm afraid they'll chip.
    Great job!!!

• gwent
    16 years ago

I am so impressed with what you did with creativity, hardwork and the modest budget you mentioned. Wow. A real inspiration to everyone out there working with various contraints that it can be done and with elegance and simplicity. Congrats! A very calming space

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

Wow... love the new counters - the black floor and the white cabs really make those counters POP. Beautiful. I am envious of the fact your window looks at trees not the neighbors :)

Hey how did you get your photos to look so true on the colors? Is your lighting flourescent? When I take pictures of my kitchen everything turns out way more orange than in real life.