Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdionnemoore_gw

Hood--SS monster or Drywalled version? Photoshoppers, pls hlp

sdionnemoore
15 years ago

Based on my view of this kitchen, which originally was to be Tuscan/Old World, I'm thinking now I might consider those huge SS monster hoods. Now I say monster only because my ceilings are 12' high, which, I"m guessing, means the hood would have to be that high as well to look right. I'd love to do a textured Old World style hood formed with drywall, or an expensive copper, but I'm just not sure. So, that said, could someone photoshop these hoods into the pic of my kitchen so I can visualize them? I'd appreciate it so much. I'm not sure how to get the pictures at these links into this message, but here are the links to the three different hood styles:

1) Copper: http://www.mountainsedgecopperart.com/copper_hoods/Copper_Cooker_Hood/wall_mount_42_copper_hood.jpg

2) SS: (front view) http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Cavaliere-Euro-36-inch-Wall-Mount-Range-Hood/2589562/product.html

3) Old World: http://www.oldworldstoneworks.com/hood_bentwood.html

Oh! And I want your opinions on these too!

Kitchen:

Comments (42)

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

one thing that some people do in your situation (the 12' ceilings) is to install a soffit that extends out to the depth of your countertops. You can install your can lights in the soffits to shine down on your work space and you can get a hood that won't have to be so gargantuan and it might make the cooking wall feel more built in ... just an unrelated thought.

of the hoods, I like the copper the best. I think the overstock one looks a little skimpy for such high ceilings. I think the old world one doesn't quite seem to fit your kitchen, although I think it is really pretty.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

take a look at the drywalled hoods like igloo or vicnsb. If you look thru vicnsb's progress link you can see it. I am considering this. I only have 8' ceilings, but need a 48" hood and am wondering if I will be happy staring at the stainless steel beast. Already have 48" of stainless steel frig/freezer. Let us know what you decide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drywalled Hoods

• lyno
    15 years ago

To size the hood correctly, is the cabinet under where it would go 36" or ?? What size hood do you want for the Old World? It comes 36", 42", etc. You probably want 6" wider than the cooktop, don't you?

• sdionnemoore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your input. The size of the cabinet is 72". The cooktop is 36", so I'm guessing the hood will be 42".

Malhgold. I really like the drywalled versions and have considered these many times. My drawback is this, my husband is our GC and he is GC'd out, if you know what I mean. The other hoods will be more expensive, but they'll go up quicker. Translantion: I'm reaching that just-get-'er-done point in my patience level. :)

Mamadapaige. I never thought of that. It's a good idea. Do you have any pics I could see?

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

hi,
    here are some soffit pics. One is a soffit made of cabinetry. One is a pair of curved soffits over the windows. and then a couple of regular old soffits.

• morton5
    15 years ago

Wow, mamadadapaige, keep posting photos like that and you will inspire a soffit revival.

• lyno
    15 years ago

When I asked about the size of the cabinet I was looking for a point of reference to size the hoods. I'm not sure how close I came; my photoshop talents are meager. I think the last one needs to be a different color to contrast with your walls some. Sorry these are terrific!
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• lyno
    15 years ago

I meant to say "Sorry these are NOT terrific!!!"

• houseful
    15 years ago

Ohhhh! Your kitchen is going to be gorgeous! Scroll through these kitchens. You'll probably find a solution.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Gallery

• sdionnemoore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lyno! Thanks so much. I just got home from Christmas shopping and, WOW! You won't believe how much that helps me. I do agree about the last one being a different color though. Hm. My island is black. Do you all think I should do a black hood if I go with something like choice number 3? Lyno, can you blacken choice number 3 for me?

And those pics are lovely, houseful. Thanks for sharing.

Another question: The first hood (copper), would that totally clash with my polished nickel faucets and stainless appliances? I hate putting this kind of stuff together because I'm SO inept at making things work together.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

What if you were to combine the best of both worlds? The textured hood but on the flat face that comes down place burnished copper tiles. Someone on here recently did something like that with spanish style tiles to tile into existing tilework she had.

• lyno
    15 years ago

I've played around with making the last hood black, but I'm not having any luck. I'm sorry! I looked around for a similar hood that was already black, but I didn't find one. Maybe I can try again in the morning.

• gglks
    15 years ago

this was my inpiration hood. it looks like the ceilings are very high and they took the hood all the way up. may be a good picture to get some size perspective....

ps...i like the 3rd hood in a different color the best too!

Here is a link that might be useful: drywall hood with high ceilings

• gglks
    15 years ago

also just thought i should post this for you....we ended up putting in a soffit due to our vaulted ceilings and the placement of our hood.....here's what it looks like

• sdionnemoore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lyno, you've done so much already. I just appreciate being able to visualize my choices.

gglks--I think I've found it! That is a more simplified version of choice #3 and very, very nice. If Lyno can photoshop this one into my cabs. . .or someone else. . .but, honestly, I think this is what I'm looking for. The only thing that gives me pause is doing it with a black trim. Maybe the hickory color would look better?? And is the overmantle drywalled? Do you have any idea if it can be purchased like that or does it have to be made?

Your backsplash is beautiful gg!

• gglks
    15 years ago

glad you like it!!!! i don't know if you can buy anything like this. my contractor made the mantle out of wood and bendable plywood (for the curve coming down to the counters) and the drywall above the mantel was 1/4 inch bendable drywall which you can't buy everywhere. i think the hardest part was framing it correctly. if you are going black on your island, it might look ok.....if not, you could go with either the same wood color as the cabinets or try to match the trim in the room??????

if you need any more specifics on building the hood, let me know and i can ask my contractor....

• lyno
    15 years ago

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. Here is gglks's with trim ALMOST the color of your cabinets. I'm not a photoshop expert, but I'm learning more all the time. It's fun!

{{!gwi}}

I have been trying to decide what style of kitchen I want, so this is helping me play around. We'll have a run of cabinets with the cooktop sort of like yours. This gives me a chance to play with a real photo to see what I might like.

Are your cabinets hickory? What is the stain on them? I'll try to watch this string to see if you want any other combinations.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Oh darling I'd kill for those high ceilings. I could have designed a much better hood if I'd have had that height. I wanted a bit more height in the trim, and on the slope, and on the "chimney" but couldn't do it because we're just under 8' tall. My chimney (you can see it in the body during construction pics in the link) is just 3" tall. I love the balance of a taller stack with the hood.

Mine is a monster at 58" x 27" and it wasn't hard to build at all...it was a first for my contractor. But I definately know the "awe F it" stage (what we call it in our house heh heh) where it's just easier to spend the money and get it DONE!!

Of the pics above, I far and away love the stone hood. I don't like a huge hunk of metal even if it's not silver color, but that's just my opinion.

I somewhat copied the idea of the hood mentioned here (who's hood is that?) which was made in white and incorporated a gorgeous hand made mexican (I think?) tile in their front trim. Thank goodness for GW or I'd have a huge hunk of metal in my kitchen LOL

• gglks
    15 years ago

nice work lyno.....i think your hood could be much bigger than mine....both wider and taller. i personally like the look of the hood going all the way up to the ceiling, just like a fireplace would. can you send us another picture that shows a little higher view, so we can see where the ceiling and wall meet? if you think it will just look too massive, you could do a soffit to bring the volume down a little. i was really worried about how my soffit would look but it was the only way we could come up with something for my kitchen. now, i would never even notice it. i only see the hood and backsplash.....

• sdionnemoore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sure, I'll take a pic in the morning and send it in. I was thinking the same thing about the wider and taller, but hated to ask for more photoshopping help. :) I'd love to see the chimney go all the way to the ceiling. I know I've seen this in 8 and 9' ceilings, but I'm not sure if I've every seen a chimney go all the way up on a 12' ceiling. As far as the hood being bigger width-wise, I agree. Except for the color, I do like that third choice for its scale in relation to my cabs.

Thanks, igloo, but I'd have to kill you first. Easily taken care of since I'm an author and write cozy mysteries. :) Want to be my next body? Bwa-ha-ha! i just looked at your hood on another thread and can't recall the details of it. I'll have to look again. And, yes, I'd still love to just buy something, so if any of you find a great site that sells these things. . . CHA-CHING!

• lyno
    15 years ago

I played around with the photos a bit; I wasn't sure when you'd be able to post a picture with more ceiling. Please do go ahead and post it. So here is my attempt: {{!gwi}}

I don't mind photoshopping at all, I'm just not the most proficient at it. I know there are others here, maybe they want to take a shot at this.

• sdionnemoore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, Lyno, I'm speechless. You're doing a great job stretching you knowledge of Photoshop. I'm guessing you like the program, huh? :) Thanks for doing this for me.

I'm not real sure how I feel about the look. I loved it better shorter. In gg's it looked perfect. Maybe it's too tall? Somehow it feels like it needs to be "heavier" at the bottom. Maybe more of the choice #3 trim and corbels to balance the sheer height of the chimney. Would you mind stretching choice #3's chimney for me. But first, I'll upload a pic of the ceiling when my daughter is finished doing her school on the desktop.

• gglks
    15 years ago

i agree, looks a little funky going all the way to your ceiling. i think my ceilings are 11 ft at the peak of my vault and my soffit is built down to about 9 ft. we need to see a pic of your kitchen to figure out if you can go all the way up.....

my inspiration pic does go to the ceiling and it looks like they may be about 12 ft so it's just really hard to tell!!!

• sdionnemoore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's the pic. GG, do you think it's the overall size of the hood that is balancing the height in your inspiration photo? The chimney doesn't look as tall as it does in the photoshop version. Maybe they increased the overall stretch of the curved part to make it look right. Does that even make sense?

• malhgold
    15 years ago

I think it's the "oversized" look of everything on that wall that makes it work. It's the windows to the ceiling and the large print on the right side to balance it out. I'm not sure if taking the hood to the ceiling in your kitchen would work. Mainly because I think it might make the cabinets look really tiny in comparison. Maybe you can consider the soffit idea that mamadadapaige had. It would "lower" the ceiling height and put it more in proportion with the height of the cabs. I'm thinking that hood has to be at least 48" wide, if not wider.

• sdionnemoore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lyno, sorry, I forgot to answer your earlier question. My cabs are hickory stained a cherry stain. I love cherry, have had it in my last two kitchens, but it is very soft wood and I really wanted something harder this time around. I saw a brochure once with what I thought were cherry stained cabs, they weren't, they were hickory with the cherry stain, so that's how I got the idea. The dark stain levels out the stripey tendency of hickory wood.

• gglks
    15 years ago

mahlgold is right....the inspiration photo has a 48 inch cooktop so the hood probably starts at about 60 inches wide and then curves upward. i do agree with you that if you started wider and adjusted the curves, it wouldn't look like the photoshop pic from lyno.

my contractor actually drew it on the wall for me to see. we adjusted from there. i would suggest that if possible because then you can get a true sense of how it will look.

my cooktop is 36 inches and i may hood is about 44 inches wide....for some size perspective.

i say get a pencil and draw it on the wall. if you don't think it will look ok, go with the soffit. like i said, i NEVER notice my soffit at all.......

• lyno
    15 years ago

malhgold is right about other objects in gglks's picture that makes it work. With your new picture, I've added the hood again. First I made the curved part a little chunkier, then I added a "soffit" in one of the versions and the other goes up to the ceiling. They look a little flat as your new picture was straight on, so I lost the shading on the left side that was there before. Maybe they need to be wider. Remember these are just to get the general idea.....not scare you! LOL

I think mamadadapaige was onto something with adding a soffit. And, GG has a good idea about drawing what you want on your wall, but it looks like you have a finished paint job on the wall. Maybe you could print the photo you posted with the ceiling showing and draw in the hood to get the porportions you want.

Well here are the photoshop versions FWIW.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I hope this helps! I'll soon be working on my own kitchen.

• sdionnemoore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lyno, thanks again. I love the new look of the all-the-way-to-the-ceiling one. I'm thinking with a chunkier trim that it would look better on the bottom, more substantial. I notice that the trim at the bottom is flat, but if we add trim more like what's in choice 3. . .yes, I think that might be the solution. What do you all think of the one without the soffit? I have to remember, too, that there will be crown moulding on my cabs, adding a little more height--I think 3 1/2" or thereabouts. I also wonder if doing a texture or darker color on the chimney would make it stand out a bit more. Something like Igloo.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

I'll be honest, I'm not crazy about the all the way to the ceiling one. I think the "chimney" part needs to be chunkier. Have you seen salmon slayers' hood. Just posted today. It has a lot of heft to it. For some reason, that's what I feel you need. You have a big space between the cabinets. I'm not saying you have to fill all of it, but I think that chimney style leaves too much empty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salmon Slayer's Hood

• lyno
    15 years ago

Here's my interpretation of what you wanted, sdionnemoore. I hope I understood what you wanted. I made the trim chunkier and did a faux finish on the hood. Igloo Chic's is plastered so faux finish is as close as I could come to recreating the plaster/texture.

{{!gwi}}

I saw malhgold's note and looked at Salmon Slayer's hood. There isn't much chimney as the ceiling is very low close to the hood. It's a beautiful hood.

What is your countertop going to be? Any colors to pull out of it for color on the hood? I think inside the trim under the hood you need a pretty backsplash, but it would depend on what your countertop is going to be.

• gglks
    15 years ago

lyno....you're getting good!!!!!! that looks much better and in proportion to the kitchen. i think your onto something!!!!!

• lyno
    15 years ago

Thank-you ggllks, I'm improving a bit. I didn't mean for sdionnemoore's project to be my practice model. Getting the proportion right or even close was a challenge. I liked all her suggestions, they improved the look a lot.

• bichonluver3
    15 years ago

mamadadapaige....where did that gorgeous farmhouse table come from?!!!

• sdionnemoore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LYNO! That's lovely. You did a great job interpreting what I was asking for. Thanks for the visual feast. I think it will work well. Does anyone see any negatives? Color suggestions? My granite is Santa Cecelia, or maybe Black Galaxy on the perimeter with SC on the island. Haven't heard back from the templater yet, so I'm not sure which way I'll swing. Here's a pic of my cabs with the granite. I did it in large so you could see the colors better. :)

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

I like the last photoshop of the bigger hood going all the way up (and the faux finish!) Good job! And I love the cabinet colors with your granite. Your kitchen will be beatuiful.

• lyfia
    15 years ago

Is the hood on an outside wall? If so you can just vent it out and don't have to go all the way up. Another option would be if it is an interior wall to have the venting run inside the wall between the studs and up so you don't need the chimney.

• Lori Billy
    15 years ago

gglk- LOVE your kitchen! Will you tell us about those great lights? Where are they from? What is your backsplash?

• cheri127
    15 years ago

I really like the hood going to the ceiling. You're inspiring me to forget about stainless and go with drywall. Do you think this kind of hood would look good with cabinets right next to it on both sides or does it need to be freestanding? (Don't mean to hijack, sdionnemoore)

• gglks
    15 years ago

fancypants2008----i first saw these lights at napastyle but they were backordered forever. then i bought them from ballard design. once i purchased them, they pulled them off the website. it ended up i got the last two!!!! someone just posted on another thread that they found them on "urban cottage".....i think that was the website. they are mercury glass silver pendants....they backsplash is a raised alabaster basketweave with ming green dots. i got it from elon tile. their website is awful so maybe you can find it at a local tile shop. if you need anymore details, i can provide you the tile shop that i used (rochester, ny)

cheril27---when looking for a kd, i gave all that i interviewed my inspiration picture of this hood. i did have some designs done with cabinets on both sides. the reason i opted out was simply the size of my space. i really wanted a 36 inch cooktop so i couldn't fit cabinets on that wall. now that it is all said and done, i actual love it freestanding. it almost looks like a fireplace on that wall. with that being said, i think it would look fine with cabinets on both sides if you have the room. also, since the hood curves inward, i think it would look best to leave a little room between the hood and the cabinets so it does't feel too crowded....even if it is only 6 inches or so......very much like the picture lyno did for sdionnemoore

sdionnemoore....i think i would keep the mantle and trim on the hood the same hickory color as your cabinets. i suppose you could do black but i think i would keep everything on the perimeter consistant.....that's just my preference though!!! the other thing i really loved about my inspiration picture was that the backsplash was only above the cooktop. it gives it more of a fireplace feel, and you can pick something that really makes a statement. but you could continue it under your cabinets if you prefer or use a different backsplash above the cooktop than the backsplash below the cabinets.

• gglks
    15 years ago

sdionnemoore-----just curious....any updates on your kitchen??? i'd love to see/hear how it's going!!!

• sdionnemoore
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey there! I almost missed this since I *try* not to get on here too often, else I wouldn't get any thing done. :) Thanks for the inquiry. We're at a standstill right now in the process of doing some other final things and converting our CL to a mortgage. I'm hoping to have the counters in within a month. Keep your fingers crossed for me!