Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smwandmbm

Befuddled by my blue/beige floor and color for countertops

Mary Weaver
11 years ago

New to a major remodeling project, I'm so worried that we'll spend a lot money and not end up with something we like. Although, we are fighting with many decisions, the one that is my immediate concern is:
We are keeping our current kitchen floor, blue/grey/beige swirl porcelain 12" tile (see picture). Because of the dark shade of the floor, we are going with cream color cabinets.
Thus the counter tops become the problem. "U" shaped counters with a large (4'x8')central island, 1/2 of the counter will be used as dining area. I love soapstone but don't believe the darkness of the floor tile will allow for a dark counter. Granite with swirls wouldn't work because it would conflict with the floor. I like matte finish (told antique finish will give me that).
Some of my thoughts, flaked granite with beiges, golds, browns and whites? Should I go with a darker piece of granite for the "U" shaped and go with a creamer piece for the island? Use all one type of stone?
Any other ideas. I'm at a lost.

This post was edited by foursocks on Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 18:42

Comments (10)

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

I'd probably do some sort of creamy color of quartz on the U and wood on the island. the pic isn't showing.

• localeater
    11 years ago

Yes, the picture isn't showing. I also think that the island would look lovely in wood, does that work for you? Have you ever seen ECO by Cosentino. Their Riverbed is a lovely blue brown, very warm, very bright. It may work in your space perfectly. I really considered it for my kitchen, but couldn't commit to the blue, you already are committed! And it is a stunner! I also think that something like Corian Clam Shell would look lovely. Clam Shell is one of the Corian colors that is very lovely, not at all plasticky.

• Mary Weaver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do like the idea of wood for the island, I'm just concerned about the upkeep. We currently have a beautiful table, that in 8 years has accumulated quite a few nicks and discolorations from the wrong item being set on it. I find the suggestion about ECO very intriguing. I went to their website and took a look. It will go on my list of potentials.

• Fori
    11 years ago

That floor doesn't hit me as dark. Sort of middle-toned. How about a proposed floor plan and description of natural lighting?

I think soapstone would be wonderful with that floor and not be too dark with light cabinets, but of course it depends on just how much counter you have.

• kailuamom
    11 years ago

I have that floor but with 18" tiles. We have light cabinets and Uba tuba granite. It's not dark at all, and our cabinets are natural maple, so darker than your cream.

Please excuse the mess!

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

That floor struck me immediately as being perfect to match a Blue Pearl granite to it for the counter. With under cabinet lighting to bring out the sparkles it won't be dark at all.

But, unless you really LOVE the floor and truly WANT to keep it, don't let the fact that it exists lock you into your choices here. It really won't be that much extra to change it out if that's what you want to do.

• blondelle
    11 years ago

I would definitely brighten up the floor with some lighter grout. It will make a big difference and work better with the white cabinets. It will be stunning with a dark granite as shown and will make your floor look lighter.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

I immediately thought of Blue Pearl granite, too. I think that would work so well.

Finished my kitchen remodel 10 years ago but I still check in here from time to time.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I know some of you have seen this many times, but I also echo Blue Pearl granite. There wasn't much that would work with the blue tile floor.

• Mary Weaver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to those that posted the pictures. I'm a visual person. Kailuamom - seeing the floor tiles with a dark counter top helps considerably. Our old cabinets are an oak color but the current formica counter top is very light. I found the blue pearl granite on line with white cabinets, it is beautiful. You don't think it would be too much blue?
    Reference the grout, I agree a lighter grout would help, but we are very hard on our floors, that's why we went a darker grout when originally installed. What you all have convinced me of, is that dark is a possibility.
    I've uploaded my new kitchen floor plan, if that helps.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!