Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciag_gw

where to use knobs vs handles--pix requested

marciag
15 years ago

I've found a knob and handle from hickory hardware that I like very much. In my current kitchen I have only knobs but I would like to use these lovely modernistic handles, mixed with the matching knobs.I can't figure out how to mix them...knobs on top cabinets, handles on drawers and on lower cabinets? Knobs on all cabinets, handles on all drawers? Can you show me pictures of your knobs and handles to see where you are using knobs and handles ?

PS here is the link to my handles and knobs (haven't decided between brushed nickel or ORB yet)

http://www.knobs4less.com/Hickory-Hardware-Metropolis-Pull-Bronze/hickoryp2922obh.html

http://www.knobs4less.com/Hickory-Hardware-Metropolis-Knob-Satin/belpa0213sn.html

Thanks for your help

Comments (7)

• Buehl
    15 years ago

We put knobs on doors and pulls on drawers. We put knobs on our 6" pullouts flanking the cooktop and a handle on our trash pullout (left of sink).

Note that we put two pulls on all drawers 30" and wider. Others only put one pull on all drawers...if you go that route be sure the pulls are long enough so they don't look lost on the wider drawers.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

In trying to keep it mimimals we went with only pulls, vertical on doors and horizontal on drawers and pull outs (this may be a good way to determine where to place the pulls and knobs as buehl has done). Mix of knobs and pulls can be a great look.

This cabinetry product comes with the split top drawers and while my Mom initially thought she would do two handles on her 30" pot drawers she opted for just one in the end (a vignette with just a knob on 30" drawers tipped the scale). She also opted to place the pulls on the deep drawers at the same distance from the top as on the shallow drawers. For symmetry she had the handle on the recycling pull out placed at the same height as the ones on the adjacent drawers. With the reduced rails on the drawers of this product the pulls would not have looked right installed on them.

On her 4 drawer bank.

• biochem101
    15 years ago

I too had this same question...among others as my original kitchen didn't have handles. Look at countless photos online and it's about evenly divided:

25% = all knobs, 25% = all pulls, 25% = knobs on drawers/pulls on cabinets, 25% pulls on drawers/knobs on cabients!

Do whatever you like, it's all good. :)

Mine just went on yesterday BTW and after months of agonizing I LOVE them. Couldn't stop turning around in the the middle of the still unfinished (no counter/sink, wires all over) kitchen last night admiring them all. LOL!

Now this is going to sound weird. Actually had to play 'paperdoll handles' to figure out what I liked best. Made black construction paper rounds (knob sized), and traced my pull several times (sample from cabinet maker). Then put tape loops on the back and moved them around until the configuration looked good.

• alaskangirl
    15 years ago

Redroze - your kitchen is SO similiar to the one I'm planning. How do you like your faucet? I just saw one on ebay, so feedback would be great! Also, where did you get your drawer pulls, and are they chrome?? THanks!

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

I did pulls because they felt a little more comfortable opening. Pulls are a little easier to open with just the fingers.

• redroze
    15 years ago

Hi Alaskangirl - I LOVE the Danze Opulence faucet. It was so affordable from Quality Bath, and it looks more high-end than it is. The drawer pulls are called "Aubrey" and they're from Restoration Hardware. Both the faucets and hardware (pulls and knobs) are chrome...the only polished nickel thing we have are our pendant lights above the island. I like the cool feel of the chrome, and the higher cost of some polished nickel faucets turned me off and chrome is just so classic. Good luck with your kitchen!