Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need kitchen help please!

Posted by melissa1117 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 11:01

Hi,
I'm posting our house plan and I'd love feedback on the kitchen. I have no idea where the refrigerator, oven, stove and sink should go in relation to each other. Any comments are welcome! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need kitchen help please!

Hello Melissa. Welcome to the kitchens forum!

The link that I posted below is a really good place to start.

Here is a link that might be useful: new to kitchens

o

Hello Melissa,
From the looks of your plan, everything seems to be in a good location. Are you using a range or a cooktop and oven? If the sink is in the island, make sure you use a garbage disposal air switch. It is place in the countertop. There is generally no good place for a regular switch in an island. I included a link to where you can see what an air switch is. There is a video on that page as well that describes how one works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Air switch

o

Hi, Melissa :)

What if you moved the fridge closer to the dining area (to prevent traffic through your work zone) and just have a prep sink on the island? Then your cleaning area could be on the lower wall...main sink, dishwasher and trash, where it would be easy to do dishes out of the way of the main prep area.

It means a little more of a walk from dining area to dishes, but it would look really nice with glass uppers...almost like a china hutch. Just an idea...

From Kitchen plans

o

I don't like kitchens that are open to other rooms. That style seems so depressing, with few or no windows in your kitchen.

However, aside from the inherent problems generated by big, chunky-footprint houses like this (which won't be solved until this current fad falls out of favor) the one thing that would drive me crazy would be having to walk around the corner to get to the pantry. Make it direct entry from the kitchen and you will be so much happier with it.

HTH

Think about what a pain it will be to unload your groceries: Inevitably you'll have bags with stuff that need to go in the fridge combined with stuff that goes to the pantry - and you'll make an enormous amount of work for yourself walking back and forth. See if you can get the pantry entry point close to where the fridge is.

This post was edited by liriodendron on Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 15:13

o

why two porches when one doesn't even have access from the master suite? With such being the case, I'd have one largish porch and place the dining up on the right.....the diners will be better situated adjacent to living or great room than a view into kitchen work zones.

o

We really need to know a little bit more about you and your family and how you plan to use your kitchen. Please see the FAQs linked below - especially the one regarding layout help. The Layout Help topic describes the information we need to help you design a kitchen that works for you and your family.

Welcome & Read Me: New To Kitchens? Read Me First!

How do I ask for Layout Help and what information should I include?
Kitchen work zones, what are they?
Aisle widths, walkways, seating overhangs, work and landing space, and others
How do I plan for storage? Types of Storage? What to Store Where?

How do I post pictures?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchens Forum FAQs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here