Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PSA for Subzero owners

Posted by mtnrdredux (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 10:40

"Cleaning your condenser on a regular basis will help keep your unit running efficiently. While your compressors run, air is drawn through the condenser area where dust and/or pet hair can collect. Our recommendation is to vacuum this area at a minimum twice a year. Failure to do so could result in temperature loss, mechanical failure, or damage. instructions are in your Use & Care Guide"

Our freezer drawers are malfunctioning and this is probably why. We should know better, we had a similar issue with the SZ fridge in another house. I suppose it might be true for other fridges too?

So just thought I'd remind everyone. Maybe we will try to remember to do it when the clocks turn back twice a year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PSA for Subzero owners

Thank you for the PSA! It is so easy to forget about or postpone these things. Can you point out the compressor area or is it obvious? I vacuum the back grill and scoot around underneath with a crevice tool but don't recall what all the parts look like or know what a compressor looks like.

o

Do you have your "use and care guide" by any chance? Or maybe you can download it? I think it varies by model. These were freezer drawers. Do you have a fridge?

It's important to remember -- it can void your warranty they say!

o

I have a long, skinny brush that I use to clean the dust bunnies/dog hair puppies from under the fridge. Periodically I pull the fridge out and vacuum the back.

It sure can't hurt.

Here is a link that might be useful: fridge brush

o

This is a fridge. I thought maybe it was a describable piece. Big round thing or something. I can check the online manual easiest.

Good reminder!

o

Does this apply to built-ins (not necessarily S-Z), because I always kept the old K-A clean, but see no way to get in to the built-in. Mine is a Thermador.

Nancy

o

Actually this applies to pretty much all refrigerators because all fridges draw air through heat exchangers, and dust collects on things when you draw air through them, and heat exchanger efficiency declines as dust accumulates because the dust acts as an insulator.

o

hey, look at this!!

Here is a link that might be useful: from SZ

o

" draw air through heat exchangers, and dust collects on things when you draw air through them, ... efficiency declines as dust accumulates because the dust acts as an insulator.

So why doesn't my HVAC man clean the interior of the unit when tuning up? I thought they did that but he said no. I was always told worst thing for equipment and electronics is dust.

o

snookums,
HVAC maintenance will include cleaning the outdoor coils on the condensing unit.

The indoor portion of your system relies on the air filter to keep the evaporator coil clean. So change the air filter as recommended.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here