Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkeypuzzle_gw

Black countertop, white non-apron sink?

monkeypuzzle
14 years ago

I am considering a very dark grey countertop that reads black. The closest Kohler cast iron sink color is Thunder Grey which has a 5 week lead time. I am not sure it would look good anyway. Black Black is not the closest match and is a really shiny, really dark black. I just read that it shows white spots.

Would a black countertop look good with a white non-apron sink? Has anyone seen pictures of this combination?

Comments (26)

• eandhl
    14 years ago

My sister has a black and gray granite with a big double non apron white sink and it looks good. She does have white cabs too.

• monkeypuzzle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good. I am wondering why I don't see any pictures of kitchens like this.

• melanie1422
    14 years ago

That's what I have - soapstone counters (greeny grey but read black) and a white undermount Kohler Cast-Iron sink. I'll try to get a picture of it for you soon. I love it!

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Have you considered Silgranite in Anthracite? (A near-black)
    People here who have these sinks LOVE them!

• monkeypuzzle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Silgranite in Anthracite is a good match and Pegasus in Metallic Black is an even better match. Blanco tells me the super single doesn't fit into a 33 inch cabinet for a sink bump out.

• judydel
    14 years ago

I have soapstone with a white drop in. I love it.

• monkeypuzzle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Judydel, that does look good. I feel a little better.

Would a brass faucet look better with a white case iron sink or black granite sink? (Right now I don't know if I could put a black granite sink with a brass pvd faucet because I don't know if the faucet reach would work with the sink or if I can find a granite sink to fit the sink base.)

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

i think stainless or brushed chrome is much nicer with black and white IMHO. I have stainless sink with stainless faucet absolute black honed and white cabinets. I only wanted a white sink for a minute because it just seemed to be too broken up visually to have the white sink to me. The stainless sink does not distract me, although it is an undermount. I think of my counters as a backdrop for whatever else I accessorize with. Good luck Hope you had a good Christmas day.

• monkeypuzzle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OOpsie, the problem with a stainless sink is that I think it will clash with the brass faucet.

Would a brass faucet look better with a white cast iron sink or black granite sink (if I find one that fits).

• judydel
    14 years ago

I agree that I think Chrome or SS would look better with black counters regardless of whether you have a white sink or black granite sink.

But that said, I could change my mind if I saw a photo of a brass faucet with black counters. I don't think I've seen that combo.

• monkeypuzzle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Judydel, mine might be the first in the forum. Unless I pick one of the beige counters in the other thread. (I'm torn between black or beige counters).

• monkeypuzzle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Megpie, fine? That looks stunning! That looks exactly like the faucet I plan on buying..Danze Opulence..is it? You MUST tell me about your sink and how the faucet reach works with it and if there is splashing. Also, please dish about your floors.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I think the gray/black counters will look lovely with
    a white kohler sink. I used to have a white kohler sink
    and loved it. I agree that they chip or scratch over time.
    There is a product you can buy to recover them but white
    looks so much prettier.
    ~boxerpups

RAK Ceramic Kitchen Sink Gourmet sinks

Plexicor/Portland/13Portland from Photobucket

Tovey

Carltoro designs

Kohler Fete

Bijou Blue Green

the only pics I could find with brass and black with
    white sink....

Traditional Faucet

• monkeypuzzle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boxerpups, thanks for the pictures. I really like that countertop called Plexicor. I wonder what that is.

Boxerpups, do you think a white cast iron sink or a black granite sink would look best with a blackish countertop?

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

MonkeyPuzzel,

Get what you love !! Everyone on GW agrees If you love
    white go for it. If you love black go for it.

If I am forced to vote. I had a white Kohler and loved
    it but I had the ugly white tiles and the sink always
    looked whiter than my ugly tiles. I wanted to keep my
    sink but my DH really wanted stainless. You will love
    your Kohler which ever color you get. So if I had to
    vote for you. I would say white because I used to have
    white and loved it.

I think the Plexicor is a laminate counter. I wanted
    you to see the counter with the lovely white sink.

~boxerpups

• megpie77
    14 years ago

Monkeypuzzle-thank you for the compliment!
    The faucet reach is just fine for me. I like to use the sprayer often. It only splashes if there is a bowl of water in the sink and I aim right in it...but I assume this happens no matter what faucet one has. I do notice a pool of water around the base of the faucet though. Perhaps because I'm a bit sloppy and my hands are always dripping wet when turning off the faucet.

The sink is Rohl Allia #6307. It is fireclay and am very pleased with it. Fireclay is white all the way through so if it scratches it should be a white scratch. THis is what I was told. It is about 10in deep. Add another inch and a half or so because of the counters and it is pretty deep. This may bother some but I love it.

Our floors are red oak hardwood. A great company put them in to match our existing 1963 red oak floors and did a fantastic job!

The link below is just another visual of black couters with a brass faucet. If you click on the pic it will enlarge.

Here is a link that might be useful: brass faucet

• paula0564
    14 years ago

Hi I know this off topic, I jumped to hear what folks have for Apron sinks (love them)I think soapstone and apron sinks look terrific together

Judydel..... I really like your faucet, what kind is it?

• monkeypuzzle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Paula, I will bet Judydel's faucet is the Danze Opulence I plan on buying.

• paula0564
    14 years ago

Monkeypuzzle: I'll have to check that out and see if it comes in ORB, because my cabinet handles have a ceramic cente piece and that faucet would tie everything together perfectly!

• monkeypuzzle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Paula, it does come in ORB, make sure you buy the correct one. There is a Danze Opulence kitchen faucet that is a pullout and a Danze Opulence kitchen faucet that is victorian style.

Also, for the ORB, I remember seeing something in some old posts about the old ones looking a bit purplish and the new ones correcting that problem so make sure you get a new one.

Here is a link that might be useful: opulence

• judydel
    14 years ago

Thanks Paula. The faucet is made by Franke and it's from the Orient Express series. I love it so far. It is well made (copper pipes) and I love that you can just push the button and have the spray stay on by itself.

• monkeypuzzle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Which would look prettier on a blackish counter, a white cast iron sink or a black granite sink?

• tilequeen
    14 years ago

The counter top Plexicor looks like Verde Maritaca Imperiale granite or it could be Bahama Blu granite.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artfiredearthstonetiles

• monkeypuzzle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Megpie has led me to the perfect sink and it doesn't come in black so I will get white whether I go with beige or black counters.

Thanks, Megpie!

• washgrover
    14 years ago

Megpie77, could I ask what knobs and pulls you used -- they look great and I think would work in the kitchen that we are supposed to get next week! Thank you to boxerpups for posting those photos -- they have been my guide for figuring out what sink we want (still deciding). Thank you all.