Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
9 ft ceilings and cabinets - show me!

Posted by cottonpenny (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 1, 11 at 10:34

If I have 9 foot ceilings in my new build and the counter is 36" off the floor, the uppers are 18" above that, and I get 42" uppers, I would have a space of 12" leftover to the ceiling. Is that all correct?

I don't think it will be in my budget to stack the cabinets to the ceiling. I don't like the look of a space.

Is 12" too far to use fascia/trim? What would that look like? Or do I have the builder build a soffit? Or drop the ceiling to 8 ft in the kitchen?

Anyone want to share pictures of what they did?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 9 ft ceilings and cabinets - show me!

This is a picture of the kitchen in our old house. Picture was taken during remodel in 2001 before backsplash and brick were installed, so it's probably outdated according to GW standards. We had 9' ceilings, 15" between counter and uppers (I'm 5') and the uppers were 56". They were custom cabinets, so the uppers were one piece. I am of the same opinion as you. I did not want a space above the cabinets. Daughter has that, and although it looks nice, what a pain to keep clean. She has "stuff" up there, and I find it distracting. On the same scale as borders on the soffit.

The kitchen in our new house is so much bigger, and we chose not to do to the ceiling, but did a soffit (gasp!!), and are installing a heavy bracketed crown.
Kitchen before backsplash

Cabinet Install -

o

Nine foot ceilings. The white cabinets on the left are 42" tall, plus minimal molding on top and a strip to hide the UCLs on the bottom.

I am not thrilled about having the dust-collection space above them, but moldings to the ceiling would have been too grand for this little bungalow.

Hope this helps.

o

Here's an old thread with lots of pics. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Show me your kitchens with 9ft ceilings

o

I have 10 1/2 ft ceilings and my cabs are 48" uppers. I love the open spaces at the top. It is similar to what honor has. Here is a link to my photobucket and you can look at the Kitchen album. c

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket link: house pics

o

Here is our new construction - showing our Cabinets against our 9ft ceilings - 93" to top of the cabinets.

o

Also 9-ft. ceilings and 42-inch upper cabs, with a space at the top (no soffit). It doesn't bother me, and taller cabs might overpower my small kitchen.

As for the space at the top getting funky. I run paper towels over the top of the cabs. It's not visible and every now and then I replace them. Any yuck just gets thrown away.

o

Linelle that is an awesome idea. I am going downstairs right now to get out the paper towel!

Here's mine: 9' ceiling, 36" uppers (I can't reach the top shelf now; I thought I'd never use 42" for what the extra cost would be). I have 18" gap from counter to light rail, and 11.5" above the top of the crown molding to the ceiling.
Photobucket

Same kitchen, with my old 30" uppers:
Photobucket

o

I also had a cat that liked to perch up on the top of the cabs. I wouldn't know he was there till I suddenly saw a floating cat head appear. It always made me jump, then laugh.

o

YOu will have to click on All albums to see the Finished Kitchen...or maybe this one will work...Photobucket is being weird.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen album

o

Well, my kitchen has 10 ft ceilings...but our KD stacked the crown to give our 42" cabs some height. You could look at our trim and imagine it touching the ceiling instead of the space that I have. Of course, there is no space over the hood...that section goes all way up, but that is a panel, not a cab...it wouldn't be functional.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

nini804- Are your countertops marble? What is your backsplash? You have a beautiful kitchen!!

o

Ginger25: Here's a link to nini804 kitchen details: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0922015530019.html

Here is a link that might be useful: nini804 Kitchen Details

o

i have my hutches from counter to ceiling and my baking cabinet floor to ceiling. i had all the cabinets to the ceiling in our last home, but it was a much smaller space. in the new, larger kitchen i like the heights varied:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

HI Cottonpenny,
If you can keep your ceilings tall. Don't lower it will
take away from the drama and beauty. Not to say that low
ceilings are not pretty but if you have 9foot keep them.

There are many things you can do, you can put a faux
cab, lighting, or molding or even a simple stacked look...
Here are some ideas.
~boxerpups
white

white counter
nvg

backsplash

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here