Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kpowers_gw

Does Anyone have White Conestoga Cabinets???

kpowers
12 years ago

I am getting my cabinets from Conestoga and I am debating between whites. If anyone has Conestoga in either Crystal White or Frosty White, can you post some pictures please? I have door samples, but it is just not enough for me to make my decision. My ideal color is between these two colors, but of course they don't have it. One is more of a pure white...kind of egg shell, the other is more creamy.

Here are the samples against honed carrera.

Has anyone been on the fence between two whites before? If so, what helped you reach your decision? Does anyone have any regrets with their choices...ie wishing they went more creamy or more white?

Comments (22)

• Linda
    12 years ago

Can't help with you a specific answer to your question, but just be sure you take the door samples home and look at them under your actual lighting conditions -- I was shocked at how different mine looked at home versus the showroom!

• kpowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know! I have had these doors in my house for over a month and I still can't pull the trigger on one over the other! It's so hard to imagine what a whole kitchen will look like in either color when they are just small samples.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

What type of countertops have you been dreaming of? If you have a certain stone in mind that might help you to make your choice. Maybe you could start thinking about that and see which one looks best with it? Might give you a place to start. What is the overall style you are aiming for? Sometimes that helps to pin it down a little bit more. Do you like a really crisp look or a softer look?

• chitown_remodel
    12 years ago

From the picture I like the look of the door on the right with that piece of marble. It is whiter.

• kpowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your responses. For 3 years I have been going back on forth on whether to get honed carrera (which is in the picture above). I love, love, love it, but fear the maintenance. I want an honed or satin look, not polished. I also like the nordic black antiqued but that is on the other side of the spectrum. I had black before and I'm not sure I want to go there again, despite what a great perfomer nordic is. Just can't seem to nail my stone down. I love wood too...see...I'm all over the place. I tend to lean toward the whiter one day, then the next, back to the creamier I go.

Here are some renderings of my kitchen to be...white, inset shaker style cabs. Going for a cottage/coastal look.

• mobydog
    12 years ago

Considering Conestoga Cabinets...who are you ordering them through? Is it an online dealer?

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

A couple of the cabinets I actually purchased were from The Cabinet Joint and The Cabinet Authority, who both do RTA Conestoga. They have both been fantastic and I love the cabinets. I needed 21" deep kitchen cabs, so bathroom vanities wouldn't work. Oh - and I originally ordered from the 'Joint, but ordered a 2nd from the 'Authority by mistake. [LOL] Shows you how they can be interchangeable.

Anyway, something I learned is it's easier to coordinate things with some form of off white or cream than it is with an actual bright white. A granite installer accidentally demonstrated this to me and I've run with it ever since.

Since it sounds like you appreciate both cabinets, have you considered just throwing a dart? Sometimes the least scientific method is the easiest!

BTW.
    I really do love these cabinets. I am saving to buy another from them shortly. I want to move my microwave cabinet to under my peninsula and install a 3-drawer between the other 2 I have. That set forms the base for my future credenza.

I look forward to seeing your kitchen. You are choosing some of the most lovely materials!

• ellendi
    12 years ago

If you decide on marble, then go with the whitest of the two. If you want to explore other counters, than you will be able to coordinate more choices with the creamier color.
    A question. If you are really not happy with either, why go with this company? Ther are so many out there and most have more than two shades of white to choose from.

• fnzzy
    12 years ago

if you want white, go with the white. The creamy white, even though it's NEARLY white, will never look white to you.

• boops2012
    12 years ago

kpowers-did you notice your frig and wallovens switched positions in the 3D? Its a little hard to tell but with either one positioned there, would there be clearance for traffic to go around you if the appliance doors are open?

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Brian helped me at the Cabinet Joint, and Rich was at the Cabinet Authority. They have both been SO patient, given the fact I dream a lot and ask for prices. I'm sure there was some relief that I finally bought something! [LOL]

I have more planned, but gotta save.
    I think they and their products are great.
    Christine

• kpowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi All - thank you so much for your input. Since posting, I finally settled on the Frosty White.

Mobydog...I am also ordering through Brian Long at the Cabinet Joint. He has been great and very patient with me!

Oldbat2be...thank you, thank you, thank you! I am so happy to see pics of Frosty White. It makes me feel even more sure that I have made the right decision on the whites. Not nearly as stark as I thought it would be. Please send more! Your kitchen is INCREDIBLE! So happy to connect with someone who has the same cabinets. Did you assemble and install yourself? If so, how did you find the process? Also, love the Torquay. Is that honed or polished? Do you love it?? Have been dreaming about honed carrera forever but have been hesitant over durability issues. But if Torguay gives the same feel without looking 'fake'...then I want to explore it as an option.

ellendi...thank you so much. I am one of those 'must do it myself types' and Conestoga's quality can not be beat for RTA.

Boops2012...I realized after I posted this that I put the wrong image in...I didn't think anyone would notice!! I have been debating where to put my fridge and wall oven. The clearance is 42" between the front of the fridge or DWO to the peninsula and I have been simulating it at home to see how it feels. I actually will likely put the fridge at the back now and put the DWO where the pantry is (further down toward the living room). That's how I feel today anyway...any input is very much appreciated. Thank you for calling attention to it!

buffetgirl...that is so right on... thank you for that reinforcement! I kept coming back to the truer of the whites and kept thinking the same thing!

• fnzzy
    12 years ago

you're so welcome. I wish someone had said that to me 4 years ago. I have glazed white. While I do love my kitchen it's one of the things I regret, not going with what I had originally wanted, white.

• oldbat2be
    12 years ago

You're most welcome and many thanks for the kind words. We're getting there... Assembled, ourselves. Really fairly straightforward, once you get the general concept (which is slightly different for each cabinet type). Not that there weren't a few tense moments (when glue is drying and you realize you've got the wrong piece in place). I had my builder's crew hang them and do most of the trim work (this is what takes so long). Torquay is polished. Note that it doesn't photograph all that well but I love it in person.

• diyher
    10 years ago

Late to the party again :) very nice kitchen. I put in an order of Conestoga cabinets on Friday, waiting to hear back today.
    I bought all unfinished. 5 cabinets hard maple paint grade painting 3 antique white to match my upper oak cabinets I painted antique white, and 2 base cabinets we are adding to our island that I am painting SW seasalt to match the rest of the island.
    All the other base cabinets I went with Cherry and will be staining some shade of Walnut since I couldn't afford the upgrade of Walnut for all the lowers.

I was also thinking of Cambria Torquay but wasn't sure how it would go with the antique white cabinets. Still haven't decided on what backsplash.

So good to hear even more good things about Conestoga's cabinets.

• Kami A.
    last year
    last modified: last year

I just received my frosty white conestoga cabinets, they are in my garage. i am having a paint crisis. I got a paint match done and it looks very yellow. I cant tell if the cabinet color is actually that yellow or if my eyes are broken. Ive looked at so many colors idk anymore. Can someone with the same frosty white please tel me what trim color you used and if you painted your room white what color white?

• oldbat2be
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi Kami,

First - I'm not sure if I have frosty white or crystal white; my old reveal indicates it was Crystal White (sorry). There's definitely yellow in the the one I have. I forget what I used initially for paint color for the trim work but am currently using a 'custom white' for touch up / other trim in the adjacent areas and it matches what I did originally, well. (Can't find a paint can but can track down if you wish).

We used a very light blue for the walls in the room (Aura Vancouver Day); ~13 years later, I am considering redoing the kitchen with Tusk, as I recently repainted 3 bedrooms in it (with the same custom white trim).

Yellows and creams will work well; with the cabinets - but of course, your floors will play a role too.. Here you can see the blue paint and the trim work.

The kitchen sink wall has C2 Shimmer as the paint:

Good luck!

• Kami A.
    last year

Thank you for posting your pictures of your lovely house! I settled on bm vanilla milkshake for my trim and i let go of the idea of white walls. i chose sw escape gray. I have light neutral beige marble floors and it will look good with those and the white cabinets. Painter comes tomorrow. No turning back now!!

• Matt L
    last month
    last modified: last month

We got Frosty White Conestoga cabinets and were trying to match up the colors for some onsite built ins. In our house Frosty White reads on the yellow side in a color temp of 3000K and closer to a neutral/warm white at 3500K color temp. We were told that Sherwin Williams Pure White (SW 7005) was a good match; on the swatch it's similar but as paint it's not (see image). Sherwin Williams Greek Villa (SW 7551) was a closer match but would still look different if you had them side by side. Tried a custom color match (upper right corner) but as the light changed so did how the colors matched.

Lesson learned, go all Conestoga or paint everything yourself if you want it to match. Also if you put Frog tape on the cabinets take it off ASAP. We left it on for week and it stained the cabinets with a red tint and since you can't color match a touch up with consumer paint you'll have to live with it.

• Katie Adler
    26 days ago

Matt L - thanks for sharing your frosty white experience. Youre probably tired of running to the paint store, but couldnt you just keep trying to color match until the paint atore gets it right? did you bring a door in for them?

• Matt L
    26 days ago

On the upper right corner of the door pictured is a color matched sample that Sherwin Williams did with the actual door. In most lighting it looks like an exact match (color wise) but the sheen was a bit off. However, when painted on a face frame you could tell it was different when directly next to a factory finished face frame. See the image below.

The paint the Conestoga uses is from Sherwin Williams but it's an industrial coating (Kemvar I think). I was able to get a spray can of the 'Frosty White' paint and the hard topcoat from the cabinet supplier that's supposed to be the same (as the Kemvar). If all the doors were factory finished and all of the face frame was painted then it could probably be passable.