Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craftlady07_gw

My idea post (lots of PIP)

craftlady07
13 years ago

I thought this might be helpful to others and at the same time it'll be nice to have all of my ideas/decisions in one place. Feel free to comment or offer any suggestions/recommendations, or just enjoy :)

Here's the layout (pretty much non negotiable at this point.) I know I don't have a lot of drawers in the base cabients even though that seems to be the #1 recommendation here. We wanted doors, sorry. Also, the open area to the right of this picture is where the kitchen table goes. the ceiling height in the main kitchen is 9' and the ceiling height over the table area is 8'. (we tore down a load bearing wall, the kitchen table area was an enclosed sun porch with walls of windows. Now it's all one big open room :)

We're getting beaded inset cabinets, maple wood with a cinnamon stain through a local cabinet maker. this is a picture from their showroom. It's not quite this red in real life

We're getting these appliances

GE dishwasher GLDT696TSS (Sears)

Samsung Refrigerator - RF266AEPN/XAA (Best Buy)

Samsung OTR microwave (400cfm) SMH9187ST (Best Buy)

Kenmore Gas range 72903 (Sears)

We're getting a Shaw Rohl apron/farmhouse sink

with this Delta Linden pull out single lever faucet #4353-RB-DST

I've always wanted this style chandelier with shades

I really wanted this light for over the sink, but it's no longer available :( So now I'm on the hunt for something like this that isn't the run of the mill frosted bell shade. I'm leaning towards seeded glass, but we'll see what I come up with. I have time.

If I left out an pertinant information, just ask :) Thanks!

Comments (36)

• kngwd
    13 years ago

I love it!! Your kitchen looks extremely similar to mine! I had posted a layout, but think we are axing the island - too cramped. Now we may go with a penisula instead - so many decisions!!!
    Those cabs look awesome! I haven't had a chance to get out there to see the showroom - I know you said the 30% off ends on 12/24? Hopefully we can make the time, because they look gorgeous and the price seems right! We don't want inset, only full overlay. I think that would be less expensive than what you are getting?

Can you tell me more about your built in coat closet?? Our garage door is to the left of the stove (the opening in your 4th pic). One of hubby's biggest complaints in the backpacks/shoes/coats/gloves etc...that all get dumped right there! We are trying to figure out a way to work in a little coat closet there. Is this something the cabinet guy is building, or is it already there?

• michelle16
    13 years ago

Hi craftlady, can you tell me who you wind up using for the cabinetry, was it that place in PA? And how much, if you don't mind me asking, i got a price of 26,000 for the custom guy from chatham, over my budget of 20,000, so i am still looking... thanks in advance, michelle

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks :) If you get the showroom, the kitchen we're modeling ours after is in the back right hand corner. They're coming tomorrow to measure, I'm super excited!!

I'm definitely willing to bet that full overlay will be cheaper. On the quote he priced out partial overlay with a standard door then added the beading and the inset both separately. They didn't add a lot to the price so that's why we decided to upgrade. Because of the inset we're making the upper cabs 15" deep.

I also forgot to post the countertop I picked. Note: Blue mountain works with a fabricator who gets the granite through IGM (International Granite and Marble). You don't have to go through them to get the counters though.
    I picked Gold Venetian Antique. it has the slightest texture to it and it's not a high gloss shine. I wanted more of a matte finish.

It's very similar to Giallo Ornamental, but seems more spotty with less movement which I wanted and its a bit darker over all.

We're also doing locally quarried black slate floor that will have a matte sealer, not a high gloss. I haven't decided on a grout yet.

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Michelle, yup, we're using Blue Mountain Woodworking (Bluemtnwood.com).

I don't have the absolutely final quote yet becuase we added some little extras, but including delivery and installation it'll end up right around $8k, perhaps a few hundred over that. Again, that's with the beaded inset cabinets, with mostly door/drawer base cabients and 15" deep uppers.

Oh, and kngwd I forgot to answer about the coat closet. Actually I don't have any info on it yet because DH has to build it :) It's going to be super small, I think 24" wide. Since we have no mud room and no place to hang our coats and put our shoes, I decided we needed a coat closest more then a pantry. I hope to hide the dog food in there too. It'll probably be way too small once we have kids, but there's not a whole lot I can do about it. The kids will have to keep their backpacks in their rooms and sports equipment in the basement (entrance from backyard). Hey, I had to do the same thing growing up, they'll live, haha! The house is small, it's not like they'd be lugging stuff across a mansion :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

Look for mercury glass pendants to get a similar look to the discontinued one.

good luck

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mtnrdredux, I've been looking and really the only thing I've found that I like is this.

I like the light that is on the left hand side of this picture, but it really doesn't look anything like the original one. I love the shape of that shade and the somewhat clear glass with the speckled brown look. I really can't fing anything like that :(

• mamabear2010
    13 years ago

craftlady - I remember that pendant from Pottery Barn. Have you tried calling the outlets? I don't know how old it is, but if it is fairly recent (within 6 months), you can probably find it.

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Excellent thought mamabear! I just called the closest outlet store to me. Since it's an internet/catalog only item she said they'd only have it in the outlet stores if it was a return. She checked the outlet store database and there were none listed.

I do appreciate the suggestion, I never would've though of that!

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

craftlady07, I know this isn't exactly the same, but thought I'd post this alternative glass pendant for you, just in case. The pic shows them in peridot, but they are also available in clear:

{{!gwi}}

Looks like Napa Style has some similar these, as well.

Also, may I ask where you found the lights in your second pic (posted at 12:05)? I really like those, and they would coordinate w/ my other kitchen lighting in our upcoming remodel.

Good luck w/ your search. I'm excited for you--any rough idea of a completion date?

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeded glass pendants

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jbrig, thank you. I've come across those in my search and I think they're really cool. I'm keeping them in the back of my mind :)

The picture of the 3 lights together I found here
    http://www.cottagesimple.com//product_details.aspx?product_guid=05e4dae3-db5b-4c24-bb5c-9ce8c5af6ced&cat_guid=71be26f2-3ea6-4941-a436-0525b11aefe6

I'm keeping them at the top of design idea pile too. I can't get over how inexpensive they are!

I think we should ahve a functional kitchen by the end of january (cabinets should be installed just after new years I hope) so I hope to have the whole thing wrapped up in February. I'll definitely post progress pictures too :)
    Good luck to you!

Here is a link that might be useful: cottage simple mercury lights

• gillycat
    13 years ago

another idea for your pendants. i would try a salvage store or restore lime the habitat for humanity or other salvage place in your area. you never know what you may find there

i got this chandelier for next to nothing ($35)but more importantly it was exactly what i was looking for, even tho the photo makes it look pink for some reason!

From kitchen is done

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the idea muspic, and what a great find!! I'm not sure if we have any stores like that around me, but I'll certainly look into it :)

• mamabear2010
    13 years ago

Craftlady - I knew I had seen something similar - check this out from Shades of Light:

http://www.shadesoflight.com/antique-mirror-bell-jar-lantern.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Mirror Bell Jar Lantern Pendant

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, that is COOL! thanks, I really appreciate you looking into that for me! :)

I found this one earlier today, it has what they call brown spider glass that looks really similar to the PB glass. I tried searching for 'brown spider glass' but I didn't like the search results ::shudder:: too many spider pictures :(

Ohhhh....I called DH into the computer room to show him the light you found (he didn't really like it) and I showed him the one I found and he loves the "nautical-ness" of it, so much that he doesn't really care that it's $250! He said I can get it!! Wahoo!! :)

I'm still going to sleep on it for a few mights and see if I can't find anything else similar, but I'm super happy about this :)

• swhite10
    13 years ago

I have 3 of those pendants craftlady!! They've been riding around with me in my trunk for a month! They're not at all what the appear to be. I'm REALLY worried about the casting of fishscales once they're lit up. They should be installed in a few weeks so I'll try to remember to let you know how they turned out! If I don't like them, I'll have them uninstalled and you can have them! :0)

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

Craftylady,

My kitchen is still a work in progress (walls not painted, window trim not painted, backsplash not installed, new fridge not purchased,no hardware in this pic but I finally have it)......but here are the seeded glass pandants I used. They are definitely a clear seeded glass (not brown or frosted) They are made by Uttermost and they are called Galaena.

">

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

swhite10 - you mean you have 3 of the last pendants I posted?? Do you mean that you're not happy with them so far when you say they're not what they appear to be? I'll definitely wait to see how you like them once they're installed - thanks!

irishcreamgirl - wow, those are really pretty when they're lit up and they're a lot bigger then I pictured them. Thank you for posting your picture (it might not be finished but it sure is pretty :)
    If you check this post again, may I ask how far your window sill is from the countertop? We'll be installing the window in front the new sink location this weekend and we're not 100% sure how far it should be from the counter. I like the height that yours is. thanks!

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

Craftylady,

Thank you. I only have 60 watt bulbs in them but we have a dimmer switch. They throw off the most beautiful spider webby veins of light on the ceiling at night when we have them on low along with the undercabinet lighting on and the other ceiling lights off.

Ok, I hope I did this right. My husband is the expert but he is already asleep. From the underside of the sill its about 7 1/4 inches from the counter. From the top of the sill its 8 1/4 inches to the counter. From the bottom of the trim below the sill its just over 4 inches. I hope that helps.

The window was already there.

Good luck on finding a pendant. Its so frustrating when you fall in love with something and then its not available.

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

Oh, Craftylady,

I forgot to mention that our ceilings are only 8 feet. I'm not sure how that comes into play in placing your window since yours are nine feet.

Also, everything you have selected so far is beautiful. I can't wait to see it all together with the slate floor.

• katyde
    13 years ago

Hi Crafty - My Kitchen "L" layout is almost identical to yours, with a few variations. We have a longer narrower room so our fridge wall is at the other end of the room (essentially parallel to the range, but way across the room) and we have an island, but otherwise the layout is about the same. Our cabs are going in now. I am hoping to post some photos of the progress tonight or tomorrow. Good luck planning:)

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Irishcreamgirl - Thanks for measuring that for me. I appreciate it! I think we're going to install a 4' high window that will match the casement windows we have installed in the eating area.

katyde - how exciting!! I can't wait to see the pictures :) because our kitchen is more square and we wanted a table I think we've nixed the island idea. at least not a built in. We may do a smaller island that would be moveable but DH can build that and we can decide if we need one after the cabs are installed.

We picked up the range and dishwasher last night. Fun stuff!!

• kngwd
    13 years ago

Craftlady - we have the same coat closet dilemma! Probably can only be 24" deep, unless we go custom and can make those cabs a little deeper. We must have a little more space than you - our current thinking is 24" pantry cabs on either side of the fridge, and maybe outfit the one closest to the garage with hooks up top and a low shelf for shoes/boots etc... We'll see what we come up with (and can afford - I have more ideas than $$!!!).

Irishcreamgirl - your layout looks very similar to our new one, nixing the island. How do you find sitting in that seat on the far right of your penisula? I hadn't thought of the slanted cab there, ours was going to be a full cabinet and I figured we would lose that seating at the penisula. How far out does your penisula come from the wall? Also, LOVE your blackboard door! I want to do the same for our basement door that is off the kitchen. Was that a DIY thing or did you buy it somewhere??

Thanks in advance!!!

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kngwd, we were originally going to get matccing 24" wide pantry style cabinets (for symmatry more then anything else) on either side of the fridge until we realized how expensive that is. And I also decided I wanted/needed a counter next to the fridge as a landing spot and DH decided he could just build a closet and we can organize it how we want (with shoe shelves and hooks for coats too :) that's how we ended up with what we've got today.

We haven't totally decided on how deep it's going to be yet. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, haha!

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

kngwd,

Our peninsula is 91 inches from the wall. Our cabinet rep originally had the 2 cabinets (4 doors) to the left of the angled glass cabinet all the way down to there.

I had a friend with the same cabinets and she had the angled glass cab at the end of a run. I asked him to try putting it in there to make my other cabs narrower ( I have a thing about doors that I think are too wide) and to balance out some glass cabs we put on the other side of the room (can't see them in this pic) It never entered my mind that it would work out better for the person sitting there.

We now actually have 4 chairs at the peninsula and I was sitting in the one at that end and commented to my husband that the angled cabinet was perfect there because a full size cabinet would make that person feel pinched with their face right in the cabinet. So to answer your question a full grown adult is perfectly comfortable sitting there with the angled cabinet.

The door idea I took from jbrodie's GORGEOUS kitchen.
    Doors like hers can be purchased at Lowes and Home Depot. They even have samples in the stores.

Our door goes to the garage so we had to have an "outside door" So we bought a metal one from Lowes that only had 2 panels and my husband painted the blackboard paint in the top panel. A bonus is that magnets stick to the metal door so I can also put papers up there too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jbrodie's kitchen

• swhite10
    13 years ago

I have 3 of the Pottery Barn Serena pendants that you said you wanted in the first place, but they're sold out.
    They are beautiful, although I don't like that the cord is fabric-like. Should catch all kinds of great things in the kitchen! Of course, you have no idea how any of them will look until they're installed, so I just put them over a 40w lamp that I have and the fishscales are cast all over the place. Not sure how I feel about it right now and if I don't like them, then that will be an expensive experiment since we'll have to shorten the cord for over the kitchen sink.
    I'll definitely let you know how they look when they're up. My kitchen cabinets are being installed today but I don't think the pendants will be installed anytime soon.

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMG, swhite I think my heart just skipped a beat :)

now that I've recovered and calmed down I will not let myself get too excited but I actually was hoping for the fishscale kind of look from that glass :) And, I agree, the fabric cord cover is probably not the best idea for in the kitchen, but I love the look (I have it on a few other pendant lights in the house).

I can definitely wait since we won't be installing any pendant/chandlier type lights for a least 2 months.

Put it this way, if you decide you don't like them or don't need all 3 you can absolutely count on getting your money back for at least one of them b/c I'll take it off your hands in heart beat :) I think my email is on my page, but just in case, feel free to email me at ajm2007@gmail.com, but I'll be around this forum for at least the next 2 months, probably longer so you can always find me here too.

• colorlady
    13 years ago

Hi Craftlady,
    Thanks for your response to my post about the antiqued/ leather granite I did see the picture of your granite. I love the tweedy look to the pattern. Not too 'active'....not too plain. But I'm not sure it is actually the 'antiqued' or leatherized finish. These go through some different processes that are usually done prior to the granite being delivered to your local granite dealer. Does it have a textured feel and surface? Almost nubbly? If it is 'leatherized' I might prefer it to the Cambrian because I'm worried about the Cambrian being too dark....especially since I plan to have a black silgranit sink.

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No problem colorlady :)

I didn't want something with a lot of movement, I didn't think that fit the look (too modern for my taste) and I didn't want something super plain. Because we're going to have black slate floors I wanted the counter to be light over all but still tie in the black from the floor, but still have some warm brown tones to play off the oil rubbed bronze fixtures I want. I'm leaning towards golden yellow wall paint up top and a barn/rust red painted beadboard bottom wall treatment.

Anyway, what I remember as far as the texture is that was somewhat bumpy, more then what I would think a leathered granite would feel like but not that it would be uncomfortable to lean on or be hard to clean. But it's hard to say because they didn't have any leathered granite there for me to compare to.

I hope that helps!

• swhite10
    13 years ago

I will definitely keep you in mind! I like the lights, it's my husband and DD that aren't fond of it. Once everything gets put in and we can "see" through the mess, I'll just hold them over the island and see what I think. It might be too much going on with 2 different colored cabinets, the granite, etc. I'll let you know!
    Oh, and I had to wait 2 months for those lights on backorder! They must have only made a handful of them because I ordered them pretty soon after they came out!

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yeah, I'm thinking they must've only made a handful of them and probably sold them before they were actually even made.

Good luck with putting the rest of your kitchen together! Hope you love your cabinets :)

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just wanted to followup and say that swhite10 came through for me big time! I have the pottery barn light and will post pictures when it's hanging in my new kitchen (give us about a month until we get to that point :)
    YAY!! I'm so super excited about it!

Thansk again, swhite!!

• kerrys
    13 years ago

Your kitchen looks and sounds great! I am wondering about your range. I'm looking at the Kenmore gas range 72333, which looks very similar to yours. Can you tell me how you chose it? I assume you have not used it yet.

The range goes on sale tomorrow, and I haven't been able to find many reviews, so I was pleased to see you have a similar model.

Thanks for anything you can share with me.

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi kerrys!
    Well you're right, I haven't used it yet :) but I choose it because we didn't want to spend a boatload of money, and we wanted a continous grate, 5 burner gas range. Those were the major criteria. It also got good reviews which were important to us and I really don't understand convection baking too much but I like that this had a button that I could chose to use or not. (I guess they all have that, I'm not 100% sure though). I like the idea of a warming drawer. I don't think we'll use it a lot, but I do enjoy the option and I never use the storage drawer under a stove anyway. Pretty much it had all of the things we wanted without too many extras thrills and frills.

But really the big thing was, we got it $450 cheaper thanks to a great black friday sale so that pretty much sealed the deal for us!

I hope that helps, good luck!

• kerrys
    13 years ago

Thanks, craftlady07! Your thinking is pretty much the same as mine. I don't cook a lot any more, so I don't need a high end range. I will really like the 5th burner when I do cook at holidays, and I think the convection feature will be very useful.

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

That's great that you and swhite were able to work out the pendants! This board's members are awesome!!

• craftlady07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know jbrig, I never in a million years thought it would work out the way it did but GW comes through again!
    :)