Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

Need Custom Cabinet Recommendations- PA/NY/NJ

beaglesdoitbetter1
13 years ago

We are about an hour outside Philly, 2 hours outside New York in Reading PA which is very close to Lancaster PA. We just got a quote back from the cabinet person we were given by our builder and it is way way way way high. I am wondering if we'd be able to use a custom cabinet builder to get what we want for a more reasonable cost than this since it seems like everyone here has had good luck with custom people.

If anyone has any recommendations for a cabinet maker around that area that they liked, please post names.

Thanks!

Comments (43)

• kngwd
    13 years ago

Search Oxford Cabinet Shop on this site. A few people have used him and raved about him. I think it was Robinson622 who is getting them installed very soon, and her price was awesome.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Searched and I think they look great. I'm going to call during that time on wednesday morning when someone said they are reachable and try to set up a time to go see them next week.

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

I'm using Blue Mountain Woodworking just outside Bath (about 15 mins north of Bethlehem). I'm in Nazareth so they're only 10 mins from me and it only takes me 45 mins to get to Reading so they'd be close to you.

I'm getting about 20' (plus the cabinet over the fridge and the OTR microwave) of custom beaded inset cabinets, 15" deep uppers and standard base cabinets with a 36" apron sink base, double stack cutlery tray, (1) 3 drawer base cabinet, 2 door/drawer combos with ROTs upper and lower corner lazy susan cabinets and 1 upper with glass doors for about $6500 not including installation. They were running a 30% off sale at the time. Installation is about $1500.

They are closed this week for the holiday and they will back on the 4th (family owned business). Their website is http://www.bluemtnwood.com/

Good luck!

• momqs
    13 years ago

We really like Wellsford Cabinetry in Pottstown.

Ask for Joe - he's the owner and he's a great designer. We had about 10 designs before we worked with him and his was the best by far.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wellsford Cabinetry

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for the suggestions- I am writing these all down and I am going to get into contact w/ these people tomorrow.

I have all my designs and stuff done both my own pictures that I did in photoshop of just how I want it to lookand the kitchen design from the cab person our builder sent us to who got close but not quite there and who quoted us $53K for the picture below. I am really, really hoping that a custom cab person will be able to do it for less! It is hard for me to tell if that is a reasonable price or not, but it seemed very high to me (and well over our budget that we were given for cabs by the builder) I don't know though b/c it is a long island and a large wall of glass?

• momqs
    13 years ago

It has a lot to do with the type of wood, interior (MDF or plywood), type of door (inset? framed? frameless? glass? wood?), cabinet inserts (pullouts, spice racks, lazy-susans, etc....) and furniture effects (I notice that you have furniture feet on your cabinets and end details on your island).

Get a few quotes and then you'll have a better idea of what's reasonable.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That was why I thought it was very expensive. We are doing full overlay not inset, and painted not stained so it doesn't have to be a fancy wood. I told him to take out ALL of the fancy stuff inside the cabinets so there's no lazy susans, pull-outs, dividers, spice racks or anything else because I just want the outside to be right (I don't cook so I don't care what the insides look like) and it was still more money than I thought it would be...

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting the picture of your layout. Looks like it is going to be a gorgeous kitchen.

Since I'm in the process of getting quotes for my kitchen right now, I have a very rough sense of what a kitchen like yours might cost (I don't have the detailed knowledge of the pros on this website). Seeing your plan I am not surprised that you got a quote of at least $50,000. Even if you don't have fancy inserts, there are a lot of expensive details in your plan, including the large island and the floor to ceiling pantry with lots of glass. I've been told by several cabinet companies that glass front cabinets are more expensive because the cabinet has to be finished to a higher level on the inside. The paneled refrigerator will also be expensive. In most cases, painted cabinets are more expensive than stained; the companies I've worked with tell me that painted cabinets are considered an "upcharge" and will cost about 10% to 20% more than stained wood.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmm. Interesting. I didn't realize that, I thought painted would be cheaper...

If this is what it costs, I guess we don't have a whole lot of choice b/c I'm not really willing to compromise on the vision... I just want to get a few quotes to make sure that is REALLY what it costs before I go ahead w/ it...

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

My cabinet guy told me that for painted cabinets (and glazes) they typically have to sit around for the better part of a week because they'll use more then one coat of paint.
    They can stain my cabinets in a day. That adds a bit to the charge for painting.

And another cabinet salesman we talked to told us that the floor to ceiling pantry was usually the most expensive cabinet in the catalog.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is helpful to know that maybe my price was reasonable. I'm still going to see if the custom people can do better :)

• kngwd
    13 years ago

we are heading out to Blue Mountain next week ourselves. Thank you so much craftlady07!! Their quote came in at exactly the same amount as our Kabinart cabinets, but Blue Mtn included glazing AND installation - the Kabinart didn't!! I am going to see if I can't find a stain I am happy with and save on the glazing. That plan also included 2 24" pantries flanking the fridge!! I am so excited!! BTW - do you know the name of the granite place they work with? I forgot to ask and they are closed for the holidays.

And as I was talking to a co-worker about the new kitchen, turns out her parents are building their retirement home in Easton and Blue Mtn built their cabs. So another happy customer, makes me more confident in selecting them.

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

That's excellent kngwd!! I was nervous that it wasn't working out and afraid to ask :)
    I'm so happy for you!

They work with IGM in Fullerton (By the Lehigh Valley Mall) it's International Granite and Marble. They have some really great granites to pick from. Most of the standards seem to be there (Juperanas and Creama Bourdeaux, a few different Giallo kinds). Those are the names I remember since those were in the family of colors we were looking at. I picked New Venetian Gold with an antique finish. The fabricator is The Marble Source in Ottsville.

My cabinets will hopefully be ready for installation by the 3rd week in January. Wahoo!

• User
    13 years ago

50K for the cabinets in that kitchen is a pretty darn good deal. I'd frankly expect it to be much more given the level of detail. The mantle hood, the huge island, the entire wall of glass pantry cabinets not to mention the drawers everywhere and paint. Those are all upcharges, and that's a big kitchen. Even a pretty basic kitchen in a kitchen that size would be around 20K.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess I wasn't expecting it to be that much b/c our allowance was only $33K and I was sort of assuming that that would cover it. Foolish thinking apparently, since I've gone crazily over budget on every other item we've picked out so far...

I guess maybe we'll go to the custom people, find out that our price is good and just stick w/ what we've got then if it isn't going to be any less expensive to do it custom...

I'm glad to hear feedback to find out that the price is reasonable though, I was afraid we were just not getting a good deal!

• chihuahua_gal_23
    13 years ago

The price is right, particularly for the kitchen design you are considering. Regarding the glass cabinets, instead of particle board covered with contact paper or a cheap veneer, now you have to have the same wood as the exterior, finished to match. As for finishing, painted and painted glazed cabinets cost more because they are more layers, therefore more work and more finishing product. We have seen them quoted as much as 40% higher than a natural or one pass stain.

Out of curiosity, why would anyone expect that custom cabinets would or should cost less than stock or semi-stock? Particularly if you are looking at 15" deep uppers and solid wood, finished insides, etc., versus mass produced pieces or, better yet, crap from China? That is why it is custom: personalized, made to spec, higher end finishing, and so forth. Like the difference in quality and price between buying a dress off the rack in Kohls and having a seamstress make one that fits you perfectly and will be stand the test of time.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The only reason I thought custom might cost less is because many people on these threads that I have seen have said that their custom cabinet maker was able to beat prices as compared to quotes from stock cabinets. Further, we are having "custom modifications" done to cabinets that aren't really fully custom, so it seems like just doing custom might be a more straightforward way to go about it.

If the price is right, then so it is. Like I said, it just seemed high to me because I wasn't expecting it.

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Dear Beaglesdoitbetter,

The high price of well made cabinets is discouraging. But you should still try some of the smaller custom cabinet companies recommended earlier in this thread.

I keep reading on GW about these amazing local Amish craftsmen who seem to work way below what larger custom companies charge. Craftlady07's price quote from Blue Mountain Woodworking is 5 times cheaper than quotes I've received from larger custom companies for my 20 cabinets! Let us know what you find out.

As an alternative, you could do the main part of your kitchen with the nice custom cabinets but then do the floor to ceiling "pantry" cabinets in a less expensive cabinet. You might even consider Ikea cabinets for that wall for a fun unfitted look. We found when renovating a kitchen back in 1998 that Ikea cabinets were a great way to get a full wall of glass front cabinets at a great price.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks francoise. That's what I'm going to do. It seemed like chihuahua_gal_23 was saying it was silly to think a custom person would be less, so I appreciate your words.

Good advice too about mixing cabs but I don't think we're going to do that b/c it isn't the look I'm going for. I want a more formal french manor style, and this is our forever home so if we need to go over budget to get exactly the right thing, I expect that is what we will do :)

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

I don't know how custom cabinet makers are able to do it cheaper but from what I'm seeing on here they can. The reason mine are cheaper is because I got them during a sale but then again my sale price including installation is the same price as the standard stock cabinets without any upgrades like beaded inset cabs, ROTs, deeper uppers, the cutlery trays, glass door fronts (it did include lazy susans) NOT installed. I think the price before the sale and without the installation but with all the upgrades we're getting would've been the same as the stock cabs without the upgrades I mentioned.

My guess is it probably has something to do with less shipping charges (to bring in the cabinets/pieces from manufacturers), less overhead, less marketing. But that's just a guess. And I think the minute you start to "customize" stock cabinets they start the upcharges to really "get ya". They have to start giving you filler pieces or you have to rework your design to fit their cabinet sizes. Where the custom guy is going to do the same amount of work whether you're getting a 27" cabinet or a 29" cabinet.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Agree exactly craftlady07. We shall find out I guess when I get some cab quotes. I'll update the thread for comparisons sake when I do get my custom quote(s). Keep your fingers crossed for me. :)

• blonde1125
    13 years ago

Beaglesdoitbetter, I think I probably live about 10-15 miles from you! Rissler cabinets in Leola would be worth checking out. 717-656-6101. I was going to use them for my kitchen but he couldn't fit my kitchen in to his schedule because we had a small time frame to work with. He did do cabinets for a friend of mine and did a fabulous job. He also did bathroom cabinets for us a couple years ago. His price would be well under 53K I think. His cabinets are very good quality. He does not have a fancy showroom so no pricey overhead.

• kngwd
    13 years ago

I think it may depend on where you live and the competition in the area. Who knows??? Sadly, I missed the 30% off sale craftlady07 got at Blue Mtn but his price still beat Home Depot Thomasville without installation! And Home Depot didn't include the 2 24" pantry cabinets I can get. I did get a discount for paying cash, but it wasn't 30%. It pays to shop, shop, shop!!!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rissler is on my list now of people to contact. Thanks blonde1125.

• homechef
    13 years ago

My kitchen is by Euro-Line Kitchens, they are fully custom and came in reasonable; their shop is in NJ.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

added them too- thanks homechef!

• roms
    13 years ago

I just wanted to say thanks for all this great info. I'm also in NJ. Taking lots of notes!

• rockybird
    13 years ago

beaglesdoitbetter, keep us updated! I dont live in PA but I'm having fun following this thread. I hope you find a way to do that kitchen, even if does cost 53k. The design is absolutely stunning.

Here in Arizona, I am also going custom, but mine will be frameless walnut slab doors for a mcm home. BTW, I dont cook either! I thought I was the only one on this board who didnt cook. I told the cabinet guy the same thing - I didnt need the fancy bells and whistles.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll definitely update rockybird. We have a meeting w/ the oxford cab person on tuesday at 10 AM so I will have more to report after that.

Here's one update already- our original cab person has let me know that if I am willing to give up the arches and just do flat top cabinets above the fridge, I can bring the cost down to $45K. That is a $13K difference FOR ARCHES. I bet you can guess what my kitchen is not going to have if we stick w/ that cab person!!

That makes it closer to our budget and we're definitely going to do this kitchen (maybe a few minor tweaks if it cuts costs, but substantially the same!)

I really appreciate your words about the design too rockybird. I designed every last detail myself, originally using photoshop and piecing stuff together from this board and from hundreds of google searches, so it is a labor of love.

here is my original photoshop doc, for those who haven't seen it... see the $13,000 arches that may not come to fruition:

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

Kevin Ritter at Timeless Kitchen Design did our kitchen (there's a thread here somewhere with pictures)--his website is:

Here is a link that might be useful: Timeless Kitchen Design

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks honeychurch. On my list. I see from the website he only does 12 kitchens a year- that might be tough to get in there and be one of those 12? But I'll definitely send over an email and see if there's availability or if I can get a quote :)

The way that so many people on these forums offer helpful suggestions is just amazing to me :)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As promised- first update. I just received 1 quote for the exact kitchen I want as drawn in my pretty little photoshop picture.

Around $41,500 installed w/o tax. :) See me happy.

So, the custom cabinet people are already beating out the non-custom, even when the non-customer were (theoretically at least) giving me a contractor's discount...

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

incidentally, momqs, the quote we got was from wellsford, so thanks for the recommendation :)

• kngwd
    13 years ago

Great news! I didn't even realize that was the same kitchen in the first photos. When I saw the last one with all the blue, I said, "OH, I know that kitchen!". LOL

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Haha kngwd- is my photoshop drawing that bad ;)

I'm still eager to hear what some of the other custom people have to say. I'm a little nervous too about telling my contractor that I'm not using his person, but it is thousands of dollars in savings, so it's going to have to happen!

• momqs
    13 years ago

Glad to have helped! We've been very pleased.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is great to hear momqs that you were happy. It is always nice to get independent/unbiased recs from someone. Do you have pictures of your kitchen anywhere online?

The person I talked to on the telephone was fantastic and we have an appointment set up for next tuesday to go in and see where we are at. We're also meeting w/ Oxford on Tuesday so we've got a lot of exciting meetings lined up.

I just emailed the builder too w/ the news that we're probably not using his kitchen guy and I'm nervously waiting to hear back...

• rockybird
    13 years ago

That is great news! My custom cabinet estimate, granted it will be very basic, came in at a good price as well.

You did a great job on the kitchen design! Let us know if you get any other estimates back.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm glad your estimate worked out well rockybird!! :)

I'll update when I get more back from others. I expect it will be quiet tomorrow w/ it being new years eve. we are going to oxford on tuesday and then we're going to stop at wellsford on the way back.

• munkel
    13 years ago

We are working with Adelphi in Robesonia. While they are semi-custom, they know their stuff and work really hard to please you. We are traveling from S. Jersey because their prices were better than anyone else. They had tons of choices.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks munkel. I will add them too.

My builder has some people he'd like me to talk to as well. He is great, he was fine when I told him we wouldn't use the person he had originally sent us to and is willing to either work w/ whomever we find our help us to find someone he has worked w/ before.

We also got another quote back, from paradise custom kitchens. they came in a little higher than wellsford- $38,000 + $4000-$5000 installation + tax, but that wasn't too bad either.

So, we are meeting w/ wellsford on tuesday and going to oxford cabinets on tuesday, and we're also waiting for quotes back from a few other people that I sent pictures to via email.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As promised, an update. We met w/ Jacob this morning and he was great. His cabinets were beautiful. We also met w/ Wellsford to go over some more details. Both are supposed to get back to me w/ a detailed quote.

Our builder also gave us a custom company called Dutch Wood Kitchens in Meyerstown. Is anyone familiar w/ them? They have come back w/ the lowest quote so far at around $38,000 installed...