Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brianadarnell_gw

Almost Finished- Light and Dark Kitchen with White Alaska Granite

brianadarnell
12 years ago

First of all, thank you to everyone who contributed so much to this kitchen. I learned so much and made so many wise decisions because of information I gained on this site. I found this site just as our new build construction began and was able to utilize all of the wonderful information into my kitchen design for function, even though I already knew exactly how I wanted the kitchen to look.

We ended up completing the house project ourselves so finalizing the kitchen and getting settled has taken some time. Hosting Thanksgiving for 14 was a major catalyst in the effort to at least get our main floor permanently decorated. Now the only thing missing is the barstools!

from the great room

Side by Side Refrigerator- Love it. I hated the previous french door refrigerator we had. So happy to go to the side by side.

Angled Corner cabinet- I know these aren't popular, but the storage is fabulous for all of our stemware.

Cabinet on the back of the island- its amazing how much fits under there!

Microwave cabinet- Since we don't use the microwave that often, I'm glad we hid it. With our open floor plan, I didn't want it visible from the great room and dining room except when in use.

5 Piece Drawer Heads- these were an upgrade, but I love the way they look.

Drawers, Drawers, Drawers- Love them! I had a lot of drawers in our old house and went with all drawers this time except for the sink base and the corner susan.

Pantry- Custom designed the shelf layout.

Lower Corner Cabinet-

Lights-

Dining Room Table- just off the kitchen. Thanks for your help on selecting the table. It was delivered just a few days before Thanksgiving. It has one more leaf that we take out for everyday use.

Some details:

Kitchenaid Appliances-

Refrigerator: KSC525MVMK

Wine Cooler: KURG24RWBS

Dishwasher:KUDE40FXSS panel ready

Range: KDRS467VSS

Lights: International Lighting 23341057 London Mist Four Light Seedy Glass Bell Pendant

Backsplash- Horus Cristalli Crackle Subway in Bianco

Knobs and Pulls: Alno Creative Inc knobs:ALN56206 1 1/4" / pulls 3 1/2" cup pulls solid brass in barcelona finish ALN56510

Faucet- Moen Brantford in Stainless

Disposal- Insinkerator Evolution Series

Sink- Blanco Silgranit in Biscuit with Offset drain Diamond Single Basin #440196

Granite- White Alaska/Delicatus

Cabinets- Brookhaven in Antique White for Perimeter and Matte Brown with black glaze for the island. Door style is edgemount recessed

Floors- 5" wide white oak quartersawn vertical grain with glitza (no stain)

Comments (72)

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

brianadarnell, I just love your kitchen so much! The cabinets are the perfect white! The counters are so gorgeous! The floor is amazing! The island really adds to the beauty of the kitchen. The backsplash, especially over the range, is perfect for your kitchen! I love the pantry! I love the fixtures. I love the pan organizers and a place for the microwave.I love the natural light you get in the kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

P.S. I love the angled corner cabinet which is much better than the blind corner cabinet I have. You can see everything in your cabinet when you open the door and it is a perfect place for your stem ware glasses!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

My favourite look for a kitchen - white/creamy perimeter and stained island with wood floors. It is beautiful. Enjoy!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I really like your tile niche and how you had your hood blend in. The overall look and function are nicely thought out.
    Putting glasses in the corner cab is a smart idea. It will hold them fine and you will probably rarely need the ones all the way in the back. It saves on an insert or losing the space from one. Sometimes, keeping it simple is the smart choice.
    I wish you many happy meals and memories in your new kitchen.

• babs711
    12 years ago

Thanks for the appliance info. See, I had such qualms with our side-by-side that I'm scared off from them! We never had good luck with freezer storage in that darned thing either. And anything wide in the fridge, forget it! So that's why we're considering the french door this time. I wish there was a "perfect" fridge out there!

I'm also doing a niche over our range. How deep did you have them make it? That's something I'm not sure of. I can play with the length and width I suppose. But I don't want to mess up with depth!

I'm saving your kitchen for future reference. I cannot get over how similar our layouts will be. Even our islands are close in size...we're 48"x 84" (or 90"...still deciding on that) too! We are having 10' ceilings in our house though.

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Lovely and functional! That's the best sort of kitchen. Hope you're enjoying it!

• newchapter
    12 years ago

I have been searching for a pic with this backsplash, wondering how it would work with my delicatus granite! It looks great!

• clvransom
    12 years ago

Enjoy your beautiful kitchen! I have pantry envy.

• elba1
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I think I have the same teapot in blue :). Enjoy your new space!

• taggie
    12 years ago

Great kitchen! Congratulations on such a beautiful job. The island with that gorgeous black glaze is particularly stunning. Love it!

• Bunny
    12 years ago

Your cabinets are gorgeous. Since the color is Brookhaven's, any idea if there's a BM equivalent?

• cardamon
    12 years ago

Love everything about your kitchen. My colors are the same in the kitchen except I have the walnut floors. I just find the soft white cabs and delicatus/alaska white to be a calming kitchen. I envy your breakfast area windows. They are really nice. It turned out beautiful.

• brianadarnell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HSW- so funny! We love the Fat Hen and the Wild Olive too!

Suzanne, Dilly, Lynn, Blfenton, Dianalo, mmhmmgood, newchapter, Milehighdiva, elba, taggie, and maggie- Thank you so much for the compliments!

Linelle- I think the equivalent to my cabinet color is Acadia White. I say that because my whole house is currently painted Acadia White and its a pretty close match. I am getting tired of what I call my Vanilla House, but we haven't had the time or energy to start on paint colors yet so for now, the cabinets and walls blend.

Babs- thanks! The niche is approximately 3-4" deep. Its a tile and a half deep which kind of bothered me, but we didn't have a choice once we selected the subways for our backsplash. You should base the depth on your selection of tile if you have it.

Westtoeast- our cabinets are 42" tall and our ceilings are 9 ft. I wish we could have stacked cabinets, but it would have been cost prohibitive. I'm 5'7" and I can't even reach the top shelf of the 42" cabinets.

• andi_k
    12 years ago

Wow!!! Everything turned out absolutely beautiful!!!

• brianadarnell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Andi K- thanks so much. You were such a big help, especially most recently on the table. Your saved photos were always so great.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Briana, this is really a lovely kitchen. The stove treatment--the hood, the niche, all come together so well that it is truly a star. You have such warm colors with your wood floor, the granite and the island finish.

I am wondering about your window--with that view of the trees outside, I would keep any window treatment minimal, if you are even planning one. Of course, I kinda like plain windows, so maybe I'm biased.

Again, great job!

• shmeal
    12 years ago

What a lovely kitchen! It seems to be a perfect blend of beauty and brains (so very nice to look at and so very practical for real life living and cooking). I'm going to bookmark this and come back to look at it in more detail when I have time(babysitting DGS this week while his folks are having a much needed get away).

• Pipdog
    12 years ago

Classic and beautiful. I have the same range - you will love it! Congrats on being done!

• brianadarnell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

colorfast- I haven't decided on a kitchen window treatment yet. We actually haven't done a single blind or anything since we moved in. I like the lime green tea pot as an accent color and was thinking about doing a simple roman shade or something with a little pattern. It definitely won't block the view, except in the morning when the sunlight shines in so bright you can't even see!

shmeal- thanks so much.

Pipdog- thank you. Your kitchen was a huge inspiration to me. The finished pics came up when I first joined last year. I actually had been planning on getting a cooktop and wall oven, even though I knew I really wanted the pro range. When I saw your range, it put me over the edge and I was able to convince DH. So glad we changed our minds! So thank you! Your kitchen is beautiful! And so is Pip!

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

Wow!! It's BEAUTIFUL!!! You must be happy with how everything looks!

• cjc123
    12 years ago

Really tasteful and beautifully done! Love your tea kettle pop of color. Well done!!

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Oooooh, it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

I love, love LOVE your granite, those pendants, that niche, YOUR PANTRY, and your microwave cabinet--for starters!

What a wonderful kitchen--and just in time for the holidays! :^)

• brianadarnell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tinker, cjc, and shelayne- thanks so much. Shelayne- I keep telling my husband that if I'm ever missing, look in the pantry. I joke about hanging out in there. Food, water, bathroom right next door. And I'm in love with it.

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen. It's so calm and peaceful. I love the way you worked out the moldings. It adds interest. congratulation.

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!! Love, love, LOVE it - from the cabinets, to the granite and the beautiful seeded glass lighting - it is Beautiful! Many you enjoy countless years of happiness in your lovely new kitchen! :)

• kitchenkrazed09
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Love the pendants, the niche above the range, the color of the island and of course the granite (I'm biased because I have the same granite)! Enjoy your new kitchen!

• babs711
    12 years ago

Can I ask you yet another appliance question? We're definitely doing a beverage center of some sort. I've been eyeing up drawers but they run around $3k. I looked up the number for yours and it doesn't have the separate zones. The zoned ones are numbered very differently. The ones that look like yours are numberd KBCS24...

The KURG24RWBS had just a knob on the very bottom below the door to adjust temperature and it looks like no digital display.

Do you find it keeps canned and bottled drinks very cold? I'd like one where we can store a few bottles of wine at a bit warmer of a temp but keep cans and bottles very cold.

• brianadarnell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Babs, Did I use the wrong model #? Oops. Ours has three different temperature zones. The differentiation occurs through gasketed shelves. The coldest zone is on top. We use this section for beer, seltzer water, etc etc. The warmest zone is used for red wine. My husband always puts his beer in the freezer for a minute from this cooler, but its definitely cold enough for soda and my seltzer water which I love really cold. Our knob is not all the way to COLDEST and our temps are 40, 50 and 60 respectively.

A friend didn't want to get this one because you can't control the different temperatures to a "t", which is true but theres definitely a difference AND the added perk over a wine cooler is that the top zone (which is the largest) is cold enough for food storage during holidays, parties, etc.

hope that helps!

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

I know I have posted before, but I just love your kitchen! It is definitely one of my inspiration kitchen designs!!

• babs711
    12 years ago

Thank you! YOUR kitchen may have just saved me over $1k!! I was all about drawers before!

• brianadarnell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Babs, you're welcome. Just so you know, we only got the bev cooler when we found out about the KA Rebates. Have you seen that? We ended up getting $800 in rebates! Definitely check that out!

Mercy- thank you! I saw your layout post last week- so exciting!

Bella, Kitchenkrazed, and sixty- thank you!

• likewhatyoudo
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, Love the dining room table. Where did you get it? We are in the middle of a major remodel, cabinets are scheduled to be installed after Christmas!

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! So crisp, clean and pretty.

Who makes your fun tea kettle? Love the color!

• brianadarnell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rtwilliams- The dining room table is Pottery Barn. Its called the Hayden table. The chairs are not the matching ones but instead cordova.

Madeline- thank you! The tea kettle is le creuset. It comes in a bunch of colors and is a great tea kettle. We use it twice a day and love it!

• cyngar
    12 years ago

Beautiful Kitchen!! We're in the initial planning stages ourselves for building our retirement home. Planning on wood floors and off-white cabinets with a dark island. I think the combination is unbeatable.

On the floors, who makes them? They're gorgeous!

• katieob
    12 years ago

Hi,

How did I miss this ???

Gorgeous! Congrats-you must be thrilled. Love the niche, love the pantry, too!

Enjoy!

PS- I'm loving the color of the walls.

Katie

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Was I in a coma in early December? I don't know how I missed this!

Congratulations, it is beautiful!

Bee

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I really love your chosen stone and the thicker clean profile of the molding. Love the color of the stained island too. It's so satisfying when your kitchen comes together as you dreamed! Enjoy making wonderful memories in your new kitchen!!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Yesterday I was at Jo-Ann fabrics, and there was a couple near me with a sample of White Alaska. I asked them what it was because it was so stunning in person. Congrats on such a fantastic kitchen!

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Very nice! Not sure how I missed this either... glad someone brought it back to the forefront to be ogled. I love the granite choice, and your hood is fantastic! The tea kettle is really fun too, a great little splash of colour. Congrats!

• dragonfly08
    12 years ago

I missed this, too! This is a beautiful kitchen! Warm and elegant, yet so functional! My layout is similar, except our stove will be on the other side of the sink/"L". The niche behind your stove is perfect... makes me want to do the same! I'm also doing an appliance garage (on the other end of the counter)... love the look of yours. I like how you went dark on the hardware, instead of chrome/nickel/stainless. And that pantry!! Everything looks perfect and I'm sure you will enjoy many, many years of happy cooking and entertaining in this space! Congratulations!!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Brianadarnell, not renovating related, but I made the carmelized onion pizza you recommended from the Bobby Flay cookbook, and WOW. Thanks for the heads up. I also made the crab cocktail for NYE.

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous and oh wow you have so much storage. Congratulations.

• kellienoelle
    12 years ago

I love this, so so pretty. That niche behind the stove is such a great idea! And this sounds silly, but I love the lime green teapot. All is nice, tranquil, and then BAM - green teapot. Perfect splash of color and fun.

I think I am looking at the same granite, but by the name of Ice Brown. In some of my "research" it looks like it may be one and the same. It is nice to see that it is so lovely installed.

• aries61
    11 years ago

Very nice kitchen. Can you tell me what size cabinets are on either side of you range? I have a similar layout that I'm remodeling and was wondering if you feel that there is enough space on either side of your range. Also, what is the size of your base blind corner ? Thanks

• fourfirstnames
    11 years ago

I too am wondering about the size of your cabinets on the sides of your range and if your refrig is counter depth or full size. Just lovely all around!

• brianadarnell
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aries- did you get my email? I missed the posts here.

The cabinets on the sides of my range are 18" and 21". The refrigerator is CD.

Hope that helps!

Barstools being delivered in a few weeks so I'll post an updated photo then!

• steph2000
    11 years ago

I'm really late on this, but what a lovely kitchen. I love the individual choices - and the final look. Congrats!

• SarahBSC
    11 years ago

I know this is late, but I am wondering which pendants from belacor you chose here. i love them! (i have searched but can't find them in the millions of pendants on their site :) )

Thanks!

• angelalogeman
    7 years ago

What color is the grout for the kitchen backsplash? Beautiful! Have to choose tomorrow!