Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

Island lighting for 11 ft. island

beaglesdoitbetter1
13 years ago

We have a giant island. What would you do for lights over it? This is going to be a frenchy-country style kitchen in cream and blue, w/ stainless steel faucets and either paneled or stainless appliances. I do not think I want black, I know I don't want anything brass or bronze, and I want the lights to be in keeping w/ the french country theme... nothing modern. I also don't want to spend super crazy $$ b/c I already did that on the blue bahia granite! I am open to maybe doing a 2 chandelier look, or one long light?? Whatever I do, I also want over my kitchen table in the breakfast nook which is going to be a long farmhouse table... I don't know... What SHOULD I do? Specific links to light fixtures will be rewarded with bonus gratitude ;)

The drawings from the KD (those weird little shelves next to the range hood are pot racks, and I believe that the range hood little corbels are going to be extended to full spice racks:

My mock-ups of the kitchen w/ backsplash.

The granite. Two bookmatched slabs, doing a butterfly seam on the giant island. The perimeter cabs will be honed carrara

(

)

The hardware (maybe- not finalized- if anyone has other suggestions, I am open to them too... but I want long handles on all cabs/drawers like a bar pull but more traditional style)

The faucet (I know- not exactly traditional. This was the one place where function beat form!)

Comments (70)

• noebee1313
    13 years ago

Hi there!! Have you checked Overstock.com? I always like to see what they have....
    I found this one for you, but I bet if you poke around you'll find something you like there. Lighting is under the Home & Garden heading.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tuscan pewter pendant on Overstock.com

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks laurainlincoln and noebee1313

Overstock I did look at but not for a month, and I don't know if they had the tuscan one on there when I looked before- I need to check again to see what they've added :)

circa lighting I haven't checked and I'm going to look there now!

Does everyone think I should definitely use pendants or lanterns instead of doing two chandeliers? It seems like most of the suggestions have been in the pendant family and I was really torn about which would be best...

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Quoizel is readily available in U.S. I think. We got some great Q. single pendants in local lighting store on clearance--beat the Internet price.

Many lighting resources online carry it. You can go daffy with the possibilities. Just type in LIGHTING in a search engine, get a day's worth of take-out food, and start browsing.

One more nutty resource for chandelier/pendant buyers is the lighting company that advertises in the shelter mags using overstuffed ads with lots of little little colored photos. They can beat almost everyone's general prices, esp. if you're looking for glitzy or dangly. I think they carry stuff that is custom made for them alone, not for other brands. But I can't for the life of me recall the name. They have those distinctive black crystal chandeliers and the red ones and the milk white ones. They carry della robia classic European ceramic ones which might be just the thing for your decor.

• sue_b
    13 years ago

Our kitchens could not be more different stylistically but I do have an 11 foot island. I like two pendants (largish sized) and I don't think the small bulbs in a chandelier will provide good enough task lighting. I also suggest visit a residential lighting store and make an appointment if you can. Ours had a "residential lighting manager" and my time with her brought me straight to the pendants and outdoor lighting that we chose. This really saved me hours of research. I showed her my idea file just like you did in the beginning of your post here. Here is a photo that shows my largish pendant placement above our 11 foot island. You got some GREAT suggestions here!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

florantha, i googled that della robia b/c i'd love to see what you're talking about w/ the european ceramic but I can't find anything

sueb- your picture isn't coming up for me. is that a glitch on my computer?

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

In your kitchen I like the idea of Chandeliers more than
    a pendant.

Here are a few ideas.
    ~boxerpups

From HB magazine

Maybe a pendant looking chandy like this one from
    Omega kitchen

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmm... I wouldn't have thought I wanted crystal, but I am very drawn to the pictures w/ the two crystal chandeliers you just put up boxerpup.

Maybe something like this in crystal w/ the blue would look good??

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Boxerpups- You rock! Those pictures are beautiful. The first kitchen is my favorite...love those glass doors.

Chandeliers in the second picture are wonderful...what a statement!

Beagles- I don't know if pendants are really you...seems like chandeliers are more your french manor style! :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Beagles- Those are so you! I love the blue accents :)

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

I am such a simple girl but LOVE chandeliers...please GO FOR IT! How how are your ceilings?

Very dramatic! Can't wait to see it all done.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Boxerpups- Do you have any more pictures of that first kitchen? I love it and was hoping they showed more of the details in other pictures :)

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

crystal chandeliers are the winner in this thread!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Beagles- I really like the way those rounded crystals, hanging from your beautiful blue accent chandelier, tie in your hardware and faucets. Nice choice! :)

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

I do love the chandeliders, so romantic and they do make a beautiful statement...but wouldn't want to clean two in a kitchen. If I had a maid that would be different.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now I just have to convince DF on the issue. I don't know his opinion on crystal. He was tending to modern looking pendants which I vetoed right away, but I think he just liked that the blue matched the blue granite... so hopefully he'll like that the crystal matches the granite.

jterrilynn you make a good point about cleaning. I don't clean though :) We don't have a maid (I wish!!) but we will have a 2x weekly cleaning lady (Two dogs, plus I'm messy and utterly hopeless at anything even vaguely resembling being domestic... It's not my fault though, it's genetic ;) My dad loves to tell the story of how the first time my mom tried to turn the vacuum on after like 8 years of marriage and blew the circuit breaker in the house..

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I like Florantha's choices for you (esp the first one). I can see either one working with your drawings.
    I think a full blown chandelier would require more cleaning and would turn into a real chore that you could end up resenting. Save those types for away from the cooking area.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Assorted items...I can't post all the images because they're monsters....use cut and paste...

1) Either I "misremembered" or I can't find the original website with "Della Robia" because it might be "Capodimante" (but I still think it's the former.) I had found a vintage 1920s fixture which was sold while I was deliberating and I think the former term described it. The endearing oldie had buds, not full blooms, and they hung down, not up and there were different arms and well, sigh, let it go, Florantha. Here's something on that order to give an idea but not recommending it. The online dictionary tells me that della robia is a special historic Italian glaze on terra cotta. And the capodimante is a district that made ceramics, so hey, same diff, yes?

Laura Ashley HCT055

II) The wacky and wonderful company I was trying to think of MIGHT be "Gallery" or "Gallery 802". Gotta watch it when you use their website...brush your teeth afterwards...lotsa sugar. If you decide to buy one of the all-red crystal chandeliers, please don't taunt me afterwards.

III) Be sure to look at a line of Chrystorama lighting called "Paris Flea Market"--google them. Lots of items that might intrigue you, Beagles. For example, their "Six-Light Oval Chandelier" is on sale at Bellacor for $425.
    http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/58793.htm

IV) Regarding chandeliers under big islands by big ranges, I must admit I got reprimanded on the GW when I asked who was going to climb up to dust and degrease a grand posh one that was posted. Did the poster have hired help? Turns out she did and I think I hurt her feelings. So I won't even ask any more. Let the buyer beware and get some knee pads for that hard island top.

V) Wadaya think--$250 3-60 watts. Wrong metal, right?

http://www.gallery802.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=183365

VI)Here's a large showy thing that I like, in white:
    C190-RT57-A2 By Bethel Lighting-6 Lt Ant. Brwn Leaf Clr Crystal Celing Fixture. A mere $430
    http://www.gallery802.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=183362 Buy a featherduster also.

VII) Here's another Paris Flea Market one with some blue crystals that I rather like.
    http://www.gallery802.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=179855
    chandelier $405 6-60Watt

Have fun stormin' the castle!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

florantha you are my new best friend! I LOVE that gallery802 website and I am in love w/ that chandelier w/ the delicate little pearls. If I cannot use it in my kitchen, maybe I will use it in my master bath or sunroom. or maybe I will build a room just for it if I need to, so it may have a home in my house.

I know what my and DF are going to be doing all day christmas day- looking at the gallery802 website! I'm sure he'll be delighted ;)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Beagles- I just found this picture and thought of you. It's not exactly what you want, but similar enough, I wanted to show it to you :)

{{!gwi}}

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks lavender! what a gorgeous kitchen- I am drooling.I like those lights a lot, w/ blue crystals they'd be cool.

We've sort of put the lighting quest on hold b/c we've been so focused on finding the custom cabinet person, but once we get our final quote signed and are done w/ that, it will be on to a hardware and lighting search.

I really love this whole kitchen actually. It has a lot of elements we are doing- the raised panel drawers, baskets in the island, and the range hood area w/ upper pullouts and lower furniture feet.

• doonie
    13 years ago

I love crystal. I have 2 chandys with crystal. However, like florantha, the cleaning issue in lighting near the stove, would be an issue for me. There are so many ways you could go with your gorgeous selections and that lovely granite. With all those elements, maybe the right simple pendants would do the trick. It really depends on what speaks to you!

The issue of task lighting is also of importance. If you have enough ceiling cans, I don't think a chandys are a potential issue. Personally, I like a lot of light when I am prepping, so I specifically narrowed down my selections based upon light output and then ease of cleaning. But, that is me.

I am curious about which pendants your husband was interested in, just to mix things up a little. The question there is if you are married to straight country french?

I am very interested in seeing what you decide upon. I think it will be lovely. When you find the right light, you will know it.

I am curious which pendants your

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Doonie
    Good points and definitely good to think about.I think we will/would be OK w/ the chandeliers though b/c I don't cook. Anything. I used to boil water for tea but now we will have an instant hot, so the "prep" I will be doing involves taking food out of containers and putting it onto a plate and putting it into the microwave. Maybe once in a while it will go into the oven. The chandelier should be good enough for that :) Plus, we will have a twice weekly cleaning person so she can clean the chandelier.

The pendant lights DF was first looking at were like these:
    {{!gwi}}

I want to stay traditional and country french though, I'm going for a whole "french manor home" style (except in the bathrooms, which are zen/modern) so I don't think they would go at all.

Maybe I'm wrong?

• doonie
    13 years ago

Hey Beagles!

Thanks for posting the pendant. I don't think it fits with the look you want. I am a big fan of that color of blue though!

The photo below is from the Caesarstone website for their Champagne Limestone Quartz. I really liked the chandeliers in these. A little crystal (but not blue). I had searched out the company that made them back when I was choosing lighting, but I don't have that info now.

Anyway, it's another possible option?

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Very pretty doonie. I can't do black, but I like the style and the delicate scrollwork!

• doonie
    13 years ago

Have you looked at Pierre Deux? They claim to have all things French Country. I am linking the website below.

I like the blue shades they use on the chandeliers;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pierre Deux

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I started at Pierre Deux. I love the blue shades and found a source somewhere that is book marked to get those blue shades to put them on a white fixture I bought for a different room.

I was surprised at them b/c they had nothing in white/pewter or silver. I don't want to introduce any black into the house and there's are all that wrought iron black type :(

• still_lynnski
    13 years ago

I am a huge fan of Rejuvenation Lighting. They will make their fixtures with any finish you like, and I bet you can even incorporate some blue accents. Rejuvenation's quality is impeccable.

Also, I would suggest that instead of using the same fixtures over the island and the table, you choose complementary fixtures that share some but not all the same visual features.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• doonie
    13 years ago

Three more lights...

Put the blues shades on this one by Volume International Light

There is the blue ceramic chandelier look by Jeffery Teller

And this Crystal one by Kichler in the Marcalina collection (the one I posted before was the Barcelona by Kichler, but it only comes in the Tannery Bronze color.)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Doonie I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Kichler in the Marcalina collection one. I have to buy 3 of them though (2 above the island, one matching above the kitchen table) so I might need to find a more moderately priced option. Of course, this one is going on the list in case I can't!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

still_lynnski I had never found that site and I love that you can pick finishes. That one is another great source of options too!

You think it would be OK to use different fixtures like that in the same space? We have so many elements going on in the kitchen already (pot racks, different color granite and marble, two different color cabinets) that I don't want things to get too busy....

• still_lynnski
    13 years ago

"You think it would be OK to use different fixtures like that in the same space? We have so many elements going on in the kitchen already (pot racks, different color granite and marble, two different color cabinets) that I don't want things to get too busy...."

Honestly, I think it would work better to have some variation among your fixtures precisely BECAUSE you have so much going on. You wouldn't want the eye to stop at the fixtures and tally them up--you want the eye to continue moving, taking in the ways the various components in your kitchen are related and create a new blended whole. I also think that having some variation from your island lighting to your table lighting will help make the oddball faucet blend in better.

That said, I would def keep the finishes the same and be sure that elements in the fixtures relate to other elements in the other fixture(s) and the rest of the kitchen, like your pulls and the hood design.

The poster on this forum named plllog has a brilliant eye for this kind of thing. and can articulate how the eye sees things and makes sense of different elements.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Poor oddball faucet :( I am thinking now that I may not use it. We added a different sink to another room and basically created a dog feeding station so now the kitchen faucets aren't going to really need to be touch faucets. If they are returnable, I think they are going to go away and be replaced w/ something more in keeping w/ the style of the kitchen...

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Beagles,

I was away on a ski trip and did not see your request
    for more images of that kitchen. The House Beautiful Link
    is below. I am sure they list the light fixtures too.

It looks like you are going to need faucet ideas... I am
    sure you could return the faucet if you explain you want
    credit towards another one. They might be more willing
    to take it back. It can not hurt to ask.

~boxer

Here is a link that might be useful: HB Old World Kitchen

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks boxerpubs! That was lavender that asked to see more pictures of the kitchen, but I'm glad she did b/c it is beautiful. Hopefully she'll pop back in here and find the link.

They are going to take back my faucet. She sent me a whole list of "french country" ones today so I can pick.

Now, if only I could solve my sink dilemma that I posted about in another thread (my beautiful "blue" whitehaus is PURPLE for anyone who didn't see the thread- the company does not represent their colors accurately at all!)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Thanks Boxerpups! It's a beautiful kitchen, but probably too fancy for my little farmhouse. Great inspiration pics, though...and I love the blue and white!

Beagles- I'm glad you can return your faucet, but not clear on why they won't take back your purple sink. I went to the website and it's advertised as sapphire blue. Sapphire blue is not purple.

Anyway, I think your kitchen is going to be beautiful! Have you decided what kind of sink you want to use on the island, now that you can pick any faucet you like, for your french manor kitchen? :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Beagles- Found another very pretty kitchen, with two chandliers over the island. It's the wrong finish/hardware, but I still thought you might like it :)

{{!gwi}}

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pretty lavender! Now find me ones for sale, in silver/white in the exact same style for under $500 each please, OK. Thanks in advance ;)

They will not take back the purple sink b/c the sink was a "special order." I'm not clear why, since it is a standard color. Also, the color is not the same as on the website. So, they really ought to. The girl working w/ me at the plumbing store is fantastic and she is trying for me.

I think I decided on a faucet. I went back and forth on this a lot b/c I really wanted a pull down and not a side sprayer but most of the french country style seemed to have the side spray. What do you think of this:

I'm also pretty sure we're going to have the concrete guy custom make us a sink that looks like the whitehaus w/ drainboard but actually in blue. We'll see how it goes.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

beagles
    fyi: Bellacor has a remarkable number of very affordable chandeliers on sale--type in "cld sale" in the search.
    ___

On another topic, there was an interesting thread about a year ago about pantry units that had begun to smell. We've just taken possession of our new utility/pantry closet door and it made me think of your big pantry with the dogs and sink in it. We ordered a louvered door because we're going to run dehydrators in there from time to time. Also, we're storing dog food, spuds, onions, and such in the closet. I'm going to hang wet aprons there and maybe wet towels before they go to laundry. Air passage will be a big deal. Wet dogs in your under-cubbies might be another reason to want consistent air passage in that pantry of yours, even when door is closed.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks florantha! I actually did not find anything for my kitchen- but I ordered two of these:

for my hall and great room!!!

I hope they are pretty in real life!! Thanks!!

That is an interesting idea and a good point about the dog room! Maybe we will look into a louvered door too! The doggies don't go in their crates too much- only when they eat and if we are going out, otherwise they are sitting/sleeping w/ us. And I don't usually put them in their wet. I Know DF is a bit concerned about their food smelling though. He actually suggested I feed them in the garage! I told him as soon as he started eating all HIS meals in the garage, we'd consider that an option for them!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Glorioski! I still don't know what that code means, but there are deals to be had there. And I suspect that the 10% additional also applies?

Glad you're happy!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found another coupon too that gave me 10 percent off progress electric lights (of which this was one!) I am really excited to see what this looks like in person! There are beautiful sconces that go w/ it too, so I hope to come back and order them as long as the light looks nice. I think it looks great in the pictures.

Thanks again florantha!!!!!! :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Beagles- I'm glad you found some chadeliers! Now, to find the ones for the kitchen :)

Are you using the same faucet with both sinks? Are they both going to have spayers?

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes lavender. Same faucet for both sinks (I'm still waiting for a quote back from the plumbing girl on cost though so I'm not 100 percent sure if it will be this one or not- it should be OK though). I really love that faucet and the little hook end. And I like the functionality of the pulldown. At my island sink, I am looking into doing the tapmaster too so it can be turned on hands free. Then I'll have all the functionality of the Delta Pilar but in a faucet that goes better in my kitchen.

• wkate640
    13 years ago

I don't know if it's too late, but I just got a little ad in the mail and went on the website. Very pretty lights and I thought of you, beagles. www.copperlanternlighting.com
    I love the chandelier with the globe and might call on that. Just the fact that the website keeps saying "call for price" scares me a little, but it doesn't hurt to find out.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Yes, be sure to call for price. You'd be pleasantly surprised what you might hear. Interesting special limited time sale prices see to come out of the air sometimes.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you functionfirst! There are some pretty ones on there- I will have to call to see what the prices are. I wonder if they are open on Saturday, otherwise I'll give them a call on Monday.

Who would ever think finding a chandelier would be so hard!

• wkate640
    13 years ago

Their ad says they're open from 10-4 on Saturday. I'll be on the phone with them today, too, about that leather globe chandelier.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great, thanks functionfirst!

• wkate640
    13 years ago

I called on the one I liked--the one with the leather globe: $3857. Ugh.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmm. I didn't end up getting a chance to call and was going to do so today. That doesn't sound too promising for them being affordable :(

Oh well... I hope you find something similar to that globe one b/c that was cool!