Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulabrady_gw

Cabinet pulls and handle depths?

paulabrady
13 years ago

My DH and I were talking about how our old cabinets were really worn out around the cabinets pulls from use over the years. Is there such a thing as a pull that sticks out more than normal so that skin contact won't wear as much on the cabinets. My husband is a mechanic and also would like plenty of grab room when opening the doors/drawers. Are we being too nit picky?

Comments (10)

• houseful
    13 years ago

Well, I appreciate you mentioning this because I am getting ready to find pulls. I don't think you are being too picky, and I will keep this in mind as I shop.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

yes! check the PROJECTION listed for the handles. 1.25 is a good amount. I'd settle for 1 1/8 if I had to. nothing less.

my sister's handles have a great projection and are 5" long (128mm). they are great handles! I love them. Her dh is the cook these days and he has big hands that needed the space.

I would not have known there was a difference (option) if it wasn't for her handles. Did I mention I love them? lol!

She thinks I'm nuts tho...

I've ruled out many handles that I did love the looks of because of the projection.

looks, projection and price. those are what I check out!
    I've only found maybe 2 that meet all 3 of those!

• robinson622
    13 years ago

So glad to see others in the same boat with me. This is one of the hardest choices I've had to make for this house. I don't want the pulls to overpower my cabinets. In some of the model kitchens, I find some of the pulls stand out too much & I focus less on the cabinets & more on the hardware. I don't know if it's just me, or if others feel the same way.

I've been trying to decide between a cup pull or a regular pull for days/hours. DH said he didn't care either way. Whatever I wanted was fine. Last night, DH made a decision for me. He said we're doing a regular pull (he cooks much more than I do). Wow! That made things much easier. Even though I was leaning toward them anyway! ;p

I'm going with Amerock Revitalize in Satin Nickel. I was thinking the projection was a bit too much (8"=2 1/8"), but I think that will keep the cabinets from getting scratched up & my little one's dirty fingers from getting all over the white cabinets.

• doraville
    13 years ago

I had the same concerns when buying pulls. I can't stand my hands either nicking, dirtying, or adding skin oil to my cabs when I use a knob or pull so I looked for a deep pull. If you go to this album (by clicking on the picture) you can see my choice called dog bone pulls. They are kinda retro looking and have lots of depth. I'm not sure whether I got the 96mm or the 128mm, but I originally saw them at home depot and then bought them off the internet.

Kitchen

• byronroad
    13 years ago

I did a lot of searching for my knobs and pulls as well. I have erosive osteoarthritis in my hands (since early 40's) and it was really important that the knobs have a long stem and the handles have a deep projection so that I wouldn't bang my hands. I went to I don't know how many places to try out the samples. I wound up at Lee Valley which has just the greatest showroom for knobs and pulls and wound up buying the same ones as robinson622 - the knobs for the uppers and the matching handles for the lowers. We've had them for a couple of months and not only are they really quite gorgeous but the are very easy on the hands and no banging the cabinets.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

it makes a BIG difference. who knew - all those prev years...

I love going to my sister's and opening her drawers and cab doors. I think I mentioned she thinks I'm nuts...

• paulabrady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well desertsteph I'm dying to know..can you share the details of the handles you love so much?

• paulabrady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your input. I am continuing to do research and am leaning towards Amerock Oval knob with a projection of 1 3/4" and a revitalize handle with projection of 1 3/8" or 1 5/8" depending on the length. I guess length is something to consider for allowing finger room as well. Thank you all.

• maryl1
    13 years ago

I totally agree about the length of the handle and the extension from the cabinet face. I suggest you try to see them in person and test them out before ordering. You need to get a feel for them when opening your cabinets. I loved the look of several different styles when I was working on a my kitchen a few years ago, but it was the actual test of putting my fingers around the handle that gave me the final answer! Hope this helps. Good luck with your final choice!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!