Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjzucker7

Favorite step stool(s) for tall cupboards?

szruns
9 years ago

Our cabinets are finally going up (woohoo!!), and it brings to mind that I might want to upgrade my step stool collection to more easily access those high cupboards!

Our cabinets are stacked and go to the 10' ceilings, as will the walk-in-pantry shelving, so I will need to use a step stool frequently. I need to be able to reach to 7'6"' regularly, but anything above that height would be infrequently used items or just for display.

Soooo, what are your favorite step stools? How/where do you stash them? I'll have a walk in pantry to stash one or more in, but I want to make sure I have a good spot designed for it before the pantry shelving goes in!

THANKS!

Comments (19)

• kksmama
    9 years ago

I found mine at Costco summer 2013. It is a Rubbermaid 3 step aluminum super light weight (

Here is a link that might be useful: rubbermaid stool

• szruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is this the one you have?

• crl_
    9 years ago

This isn't as high as some, but I really like the range Kleen step stool, linked below. It folds and opens easily one handed, is very flat when folded, And has wide steps which allows me to reach more without moving the step stool. Those wide steps are also nice for my four year old when we use it for her to help me cook.

Do check the weight limit as dh did crack my first one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Range Kleen

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

My favorite step stool of all time is the Ultraslim step stool from Williams Sonoma. It is super lightweight (even in the taller size), and super, super easy to open and close (unlike some others we've tried/had). It is pricey, but well-worth the cost.

We have three of them(!) We originally splurged and got the two-step version for our kitchen while we were renovating it. In order for it to fit in the cabinet ("found space" 6" deep cab on one side of our island), DH had to pop off the rubber feet, cut off a couple inches or so from the aluminum legs--he used a hack saw, and then pop the rubber feet back in. It works fine, I can reach everything I need to while using it (though, yes, it would have been nice not to "hack" a brand new expensive step-stool! LOL).

We got the other two (another 2-step, and a 3-step version) after we received a big goof of an email from W-S last year. They had the wrong prices listed in the email, and honored those prices (you could only purchase one of each size however). We got the shorter one for ~$32, and the taller one for $81 or $88 if I recall, and free shipping, too. Really great deal!

W-S even replaced/exchanged the taller one because the original one they had sent was defective.

F&F promotion ended a few weeks ago unfortunately, but you can probably catch a holiday or other sale/coupon/promotion if you are willing to wait and watch for one.

Here is a link that might be useful: ultraslim step stool

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

i have this one in white.

This post was edited by elizabeth714 on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 14:11

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

Another vote for the Williams Sonoma step stool that Cat_mom linked. A bit pricey, but I've never seen another that is as slim.

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Mine is most similar to the "ultra-light" one I linked (but called "super-light"). I think paying more for less weight is worth it.

Here is a link that might be useful: amazon ultra light rubbermaid step stool

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

One more W-S Ultraslim lover here, in the two step version.

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

I also have the Rubbermaid one from Costco, bought in 2011. We've used and used that puppy and it's a winner.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

szruns--if you email me via GW, I have a W-S promo code (20% off + free shipping) that I'd be happy to pass along to you if you are considering getting the ultraslim step stool (since you don't have emails enabled on your profile, incl your email address in your email so I can reply).

I'm not planning to order anything, and the code is only good through tomorrow, Tues. 12/16. Consider it a happy holidays gift from one GW'er to another!

• neitsdelf
    9 years ago

I'm building my kitchen with the 3-step version of this Little Giant, and I plan on using it after too (if I can find a place to store it). I'm big, so I need the heavy-dutiness of it.

Andy.

P.S. I bought my wife one of the Rubbermaids at Costco--her friend loved them, so she gave it to her. The same thing happened again, but I haven't bought a third (yet)!

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Giant Safety Step Ladder

This post was edited by neitsdelf on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 12:29

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

Andy--thank you for posting this. Solves the problem of what to get DH for Christmas. I really like the wide steps--much more comfortable when you have to be on a ladder for more than a second or two.

• Fori
    9 years ago

My current favorite is something I bought years ago for my then-toddler to reach a high sink. We stained it to match the bathroom and it's still not gorgeous. It doesn't fold. Not super high. But it's incredibly sturdy and gentle on floors without slipping (tested on concrete, travertine, and hardwood). I spent Sunday going up and down it with a 5 gallon bucket and never felt a bit wibblewobbley. I'm just not that comfortable with folding stools, even though they're perfectly good.

{{gwi:2141312}}

Here is a link that might be useful: some assembly required...

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Ours is a Werner ladder similar to the Rubbermaid but doesn't have feet but a full width bar for feet.
    I edited to add a link below.
    It works fine on sold floors but I don't recommend it for use on thick carpet.
    I like that WS one - some day I might swap it out and give my kitchen one to DH

Here is a link that might be useful: Werner step stool

This post was edited by a2gemini on Wed, Dec 17, 14 at 0:22

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I bought this three step, and the two step from Target. They are light and sturdy and fold very thin. I like the rubber feet on the bottom that protect my wood floors.
    http://www.target.com/p/cosco-3-step-all-aluminum-step-stool/-/A-13130246#prodSlot=_1_6

Here is a link that might be useful: 3-step stool

• LE
    9 years ago

I got the one from Williams-Sonoma based on recommendations here a year or so ago. Designed the under-sink toe kick drawer to fit it. (Now we just need to get the pull installed on the drawer so I can actually get it open!)

• vdinli
    9 years ago

I bought a slim two step from Costco that lets me(5' 6") reach the top of my 96" ceiling easily. It has sturdy hardwood steps and is very sleek. Its also a little bit wider than other step stools-so the not-so-slim me doesn't totter on it. I just wish I hadn't been talked out of building in a 3" opening by the side of the fridge by my not so creative GC and KD. As of now, it is wedged along with the broom and dust buster in a linen closet but that's not going to work long term.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Mine is more than 20yrs old and no longer made, but I will tell you my favorite thing about it: it can be opened and closed with one hand.