Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Kitchen is Published!

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

Well hello friends. As you probably recall, the kitchen was photographed for a regional magazine, it won Best Kitchen (contemporary category). The photos and article are out as of today. Here is a link to see the pictures and the article. I haven't seen the magazine yet in person. If the snow ever stops here, I'll get out and take a look.

And the good news that the writer didn't make me sound like a ding-dong. Whew.

Hope you like.

bee

Here is a link that might be useful: Susquehanna Style

Comments (87)

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

Congratulations beekeeperswife, absolutely stunning. I drool every time I look at your kitchen(s).

Best to you

• taggie
    11 years ago

Congratulations bee, it's a great article that's worthy of your great kitchen. :) The article was very well written. I enjoyed reading about all four projects ... but especially yours. Love that pic out your dining table window too!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

The photos are beautiful, everything is perfect! Congratulations and good luck with your new site! Thanks for sharing, enjoyed the article.

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

Well done you - it's beautiful!!

• covingtoncat
    11 years ago

Congrats, Bee! Its Gorgeous! None of the other featured rooms hold a candle to your lovely kitchen. Good luck with you business launch!

• mamadadapaige
    11 years ago

bee, Congratulations!! The article looks fantastic. I love the way you styled the kitchen for the photographs and there are just so many over the top beautiful choices that you made during the design process. I love it all. I really like how you left some breathing space between your wall cabinets and range hood. Love the legs on the island. Love it all.

btw, we share the same first name!

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

Bee - Congratulations! Two kitchens that have been stunning! So glad they both made it to publication! Hope you were able to get out in the SNOW and get a copy! We finally got over a foot the other day and it's beautiful! Hey, when you live near Buffalo you expect some...right??

• firstmmo
    11 years ago

Bee: The pictures are stunning, but it truly is the vision and talent of YOU that makes this kitchen so awesome! Congrats!! We have a celebrity in our midst :)

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Congrats Bee! The photos turned out absolutely lovely -- I especially love that one of your dining room and the fall colors. You've obviously got great design and marketing skills, so I have no doubt you'll find great success in your new chosen profession. I'm excited for you!

• function_first
    11 years ago

A great article. Wonderful pictures -- especially that fall dining room shot. Stunning.

Congrats on the award, and best of luck with your new business.

• teeda
    11 years ago

Congratulation--the award is well deserved. You are incredibly talented!

• maggie530
    11 years ago

Congrats on your amazing achievement! I hope that it brings lots of traffic to your website. I know I'm heading to it right now to see if you consult out of state.

Quick question - how tall are the ceilings in your kitchen?

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hey maggie, ceilings are 9'.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks again. You all are way too kind. Your positive feedback and well wishes mean so much to me. I always always always look to GW for honest feedback and you have always given it to me.

Thanks so much
    Bee

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Bee - One question: Can I afford you?!?! I'm north of Easton
    Very nicely done.
    Your website is so good - did you do that too?

• heidia
    11 years ago

Thanks Bee! One more Q! Where did you find the stainless back splash w/ the shelf? I love how it goes all the way up to the hood! :)

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Simply Fabulous Bee! Congratulations and good luck with your new endeavor!

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

Congratulations! I shall certainly be looking forward to using your design service when the time comes for me.

• 1929Spanish
    11 years ago

It looks lovey. Best of luck with the new business!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ppbenn--you can't afford not to hire me dahling....hahahahahah, imagine that coming out of Martyn Lawrence Bullard's mouth!!! You know what? I like that answer so much, I'm going to have to use it in real life! Thanks for the website comment, yes, it was all a free web page that I got when I registered my domain name. Not too much available to mess with.

heidia, the ss up to and including the shelf is from Blue Star. The part between the shelf and the hood is from a local sheet metal worker, an Amish man. Dirt cheap prices. So cheap, my dh wanted to have a talk with him about his pricing..

Thanks again y'all. Off to celebrate New Years!

Bee

• heidia
    11 years ago

Thanks Bee!

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Fab! Congrats :-)
    Would you mind sharing where that beauty of a table came from?

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

congratulations Bee! best wishes on your new business!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dusty-- from crate and barrel, I think it's discontinued. We got a floor model when they put it on clearance. We just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

• MichelCleark
    11 years ago

Fabulous pics..Amazing kitchen you have..

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

It looks wonderful! I agree, looks like the photos have a soft focus lens.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Bee, with two kitchens that have appeard in magazines, clearly you have great vision and creativity to launch this into a career. Good luck in your new venture!

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

It's just fabulous - all the other superlatives have been taken. I'm so glad you mentioned that the photos looked a little blurry - I was beginning to think I needed new glasses.

I didn't realize that your other kitchen had also been published - would you be kind enough to post a link to that one too.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

That's a contemporary kitchen? Not what I would picture. Updated perhaps. And they didn't credit the Schonbeck!

What?

You already knew I loved both of your kitchens and everything else had already been said. ;-)

Good luck with the design consulting. I think you should do very well. There are a lot of people who want advise but don't want to deal with and/or pay for pretentious decorators who will tell them what they should want and have no idea how it should function. I would love to have had you down here in Texas when I did my kitchen.

I would have picked your table photo over brides for a January cover, no doubt. Probably had more to do with $$ relating to planning for the wedding season.

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Thanks, Bee. Every table I love turns out to be discontinued. Does that mean my style is vintage? ;-)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dusty, the name of the table is Graham. I was totally blanking on the name and wasn't home when I posted that to check.

lascatx, yeah I thought it was funny that it was contemporary too, but around here it is just downright shocking to see a kitchen like this. The other kitchen is as wild as white cabinets get around here....

maire, it was in the Summer 2012 edition of Better Homes & Gardens Special Interest Publications, Real Life Kitchens and Baths. I have an electronic version of the magazine, but I can't post that. Instead, I'll post a link to Cote de Texas's blogpost that showed the article--her kitchen was also in the same magazine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cote de Texas's blogpost

• lala girl
    11 years ago

It looks so wonderful - fresh and functional and elegant all at the same time! It must feel great to have all the hard work turn out so well - congrats!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, I know you have all just been wating for the full report...

Finally got a copy today! And the good news is that the photos in the magazine are sharp! Yay.

And if you have been watching Million Dollar Decorators, you'll understand this next comment...

My kitchen had a full 2 page spread and the others were only given one page or 1/4 page....hahahah...hope you know that is said in a joking manner like Martyn Lawrence Bullard said on the show....(although he wasn't joking, was he?)

I'm considering hitting the streets with my new business cards and tucking them in every magazine in the middle of my story!!!

Bee

• Minker
    11 years ago

Congratulations Bee! The photos are beautiful! Very nicely styled!

• louisianapurchase
    11 years ago

Love it! As you know, I bought the last magazine with your kitchen in it (BHG). I doubt though that I can get Susquehanna Style here in LA. Darn it! If only it could be published in Delta Style (our local magazine). Amazing space. I absolutely love that pic of your breakfast area. What is the trim color by the way?

Shannon

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

louisianapurchase, the trim is a SW color "Extra White", 7006.

Thanks.

Bee

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Congratulations, Bee! I'm just catching up on threads I've missed since the holidays and somehow missed this one initially. Especially love the photo of the breakfast area but it's all fabulous and wonderfully executed. Best of luck with your new business!

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Bee,

I am now into paint color selection. Leaning toward Pale smoke on the walls in the kitchen- Have to stay away from the true grays since my cabinet color is the cloud white which is creamier than your white dove. Th BM gray Owl was a great choice for your kitchen. Are you happy with it? Is is pretty light?
    I was also wondering what paint color you used in your dining area? I am looking at Edgecomb gray and Revere Pewter for my mudroom. I know they look so different on the computer but I am asking anyway!

Vent hood being installed today. Blue star was delivered but it sitting in the corner in a box which makes me sad. I want to see it in place!!!!

• MIssyV
    11 years ago

Congrats Bee, just gorgeous! The professional pics really bring out the wow in your backsplash and go to show they were the right choice all along. Well done!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi P.

My whole house is Gray Owl, Well, except the dining room which is that deep dark mysterious Velvet Cloak.

I love the Gray Owl. It is very "fresh", for lack of a better word. When I hold up the Pale Smoke in front of the Gray Owl walls, with the Cloud White chip, the Pale Smoke really reads blue. It is pretty. But I see a lot of blue in it. My cabinets are not White Dove, they are some other color. (I think YOU told me the name actually after visiting Jason).

I can't remember what the counters are that you are using...I think I know.. But take a look at Gray Owl. And also if you want something that works well with browns, look at the strip with Nimbus, Smoke Embers and Baltic Gray on it. (1465,1466,1467). I used these colors in my foyer, bathrooms, etc. in last house. My last kitchen had Cloud White cabinets. I used a Valspar color on the walls, 6005-2A, Coastal Villa. It was very nice, had it mixed in a BM paint.

I know a lot of people like the Edgecomb gray and the RP, but I have never found that they worked for me. They always looked tan to me in my house(s).

Shoot me an email if you have other questions, I'll be happy to help if I can.

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Bee- I am shocked that the kitchen walls and breakfast area walls are the same color! The dining area looks very tan on my computer but the kitchen looks gray. Maybe the leaves in the background of the picture are helping with that.

I have a swatch of pale smoke up on my walls and yes it is bluish. It does have definite gray to it also. I am going to get gray owl today and look at it. I am leaning toward something that has a blue cast. My gut is telling me this will go best with the creamy cloud white. I also want something light-not too much contrast. I tried palladian blue ( blah! way to aqua/green colored), tranquility- did not like, wythe blue and woodlawn blue( both too aqua/blue).

I have samples of edgecomb gray and revere pewter in my mudroom. Yes, they do have a tan color to them for sure. I don't really see the gray at all. I like the edgecomb gray in the mudroom. Sort of goes with the color of my dogs fur ( two golden retrievers). I have cloud white cubbies in there, brick floor and an original kitchen cabinet that is pine and has been stripped and restored so it has a nice rich red color. I want the walls to be background.

I still am unsure on the kitchen walls will take your advice about gray owl. Will have to see how it goes with cloud white though. If it is too gray ( with no undertones of green or blue) then I think it is not as good a match.

P.S. if it helps I have a large collection of blue willow that I will be displaying in my glass front cabs so that is sort of leading my choice. I want the wall color again to be background but harmonious. I want the cabinets and what is in them to be the prominent feature.

Thanks Bee

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

I went out to BM and picked up Gray Owl as well as a few others. A new leading contender is Gray Sky. I will have to get a sample quart though as the colors are never what I expected once I get them on the wall.

I realize that now your cabinets are not White Dove. I do remember that when Jason showed me your color it had a gray tinge to it which is perfect with you island.

Blue Star is no longer in the corner (No one puts baby in the corner- Dirty Dancing remember that line?). It looks so great! Contractor said DO NOT COOK ON IT YET! He has insulation stuffed in the duct for the vent fan until the cover box arrives for outside. BUMMER!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have found that if you want a sophisticated light blue, you can't go with a "blue", they have never looked right for me. You really do have to look in the grays for one that reads blue.

And you are right! Nobody puts Baby in the corner! Can't wait for pics!

The Gray Owl has a slight green undertone to it. That's why in my kitchen I want to repaint one wall (near beverage counter) because the G.O. doesn't look fab up against the SW. I'd like to do something subtle so you wouldn't even notice it's a different color than the other walls, making it look more like a shadow is causing it to blend better.

Send me pictures!

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

bee- I can't remember if I posted on this thread yet but wanted to say Congrats!!! The Kitchen looking really amazing! Enjoy : )

• sloane529
    11 years ago

Congrats Bee - your kitchen is stunning!! And now I appreciate your lovely comments on mine even more. You have a great eye. Fabulous!

• shelayne
    11 years ago

I haven't been around much, so I missed this. Your kitchen is just spectacular, as I knew it would be. Congratulations on this well-deserved honor, and I just know you will do well in your business venture!

Oh, and tucking your business card into the middle of your magazine spread is quite a clever idea!

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Fantastic article!

Two quick questions, first, can you share the link to your website? I would love to see it!

Second, can you give me the link to your big reveals with all your photos, I can,t see to find it and I need to draw some inspiration from your fantastic home!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura, the website is given in the article. Don't want to list it here. Also, from the website you can find other pics you want. If not, send me an email and I will certainly help getting them to you.

(on phone, sorry so choppy & brief)

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Not sure how I missed that, thanks!

BTW - is your overall floor plan posted anywhere? I'm curious to see how your home is all laid out.

• sitelifer
    11 years ago

Congratulations on your gorgeous kitchen. I also installed an arabesque backslash and love it.

• piu007
    11 years ago

Beathtakingly beautiful. Every inch of it.
    All the very best for your new endeavour!
    Have a question: What is the faucet in the island? Thank you!