Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misplacedtxgal

hinges - exposed to hidden on existing cabinets?

misplacedtxgal
13 years ago

Hardware and backsplash are the last two items I have and my kitchen is complete. Hurrah!

I'll be going from shiny brass to brushed nickel. Presently I have exposed hinges, however they are screwed to the inside of the cabs meaning I could go with hidden hinges. This would be my preference, but I'm wondering if it would look wierd since the cabinets are designed for exposed hinges. Would love to hear your opinions. Thanks!

Here's a few pictures:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (14)

• mbw1
    13 years ago

I wasn't going to post any photos of our kitchen until it was 100% done (still needs backsplash, hubby is building a few new cabinets including a bookcase at the end of the upper twin cabinet, crown mouldings) but since I did exactly what you are inquiring about here goes!!

Our cabinets were the same golden oak as yours, we painted the base, got new MDF doors and I absolutely hated the exposed hinges so we got rid of them. I love the clean look it gives, especially on the white cabinets. I felt the exposed hinges would be too distracting. Some people like that look but it's not my preference.

{{!gwi}}

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Both kitchens look very nice. ;)
    Unless you really like the look of exposed hinges (and I do), I'd go with hidden because it does not limit you down the line with coordinating materials if you or a new buyer ever want to change the look.

I am going with hidden hinges, but wish I had loads of money to get the really exposed kind...(like Theresse's).
    That is why there are so many choices as we each have our own vision..

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Yes, we got rid of exposed hinges, although the exposed are probably more period-correct. Our contractor had to add some extra pieces to some cabinets to make them work.

Old:

New:

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

We obviously had to patch and sand the holes from the hinges.

• mooie
    13 years ago

I too, switched from exposed to hidden in my mini-remodel of my disfunctional kitchen. Like crafterbeth, the boxes were painted after necessary repairs and re-do's and new doors and hardware put on. I really like the look or, rather the non-look of the hidden. Here's a pic of the old and the not quite finished new.

Teresa

Old:

The New:

• rohu
    13 years ago

All the kitchens look great!

@gsciencechick..What modifications were made on the cabinet doors to hide the hinges ? Endless trips to Homedepot have't helped us so far.

@Mooie ...what paint did you use on the cabinets & what is the process like. The work is going on in our kitchen right now and the new countertop is coming in tomorrow. We are thinking of painting the cabinets as well.
    Thanks

• mooie
    13 years ago

Rohu

I used Cabinet Coat tinted to BM Cloud White and I followed the directions, (mostly) in the link below. It's a little time consuming, but I didn't have a lot of cabinets to do either. My flooring is going in tomorrow and the backsplash will happen whenever my guy gets around to it. : ) Kind of a casual remodel if I ever saw one. Then just maybe my fridge can come in from the garage?? : )

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.squidoo.com/paintingcabinets

• mbw1
    13 years ago

We also used Cabinet Coat, Timid White, sanded the base and painted 3 coats. It took a lot of time but ended up looking great. I painted the MDF doors 3 times as well.

Our was a total DIY remodel, with the exception of the granite. It took us about 3.5 months. Hubby built the house (this is the 2nd one we have built from scratch) so yes we are veteran DIY'ers. Although I admit I would rather built new than re-model another kitchen!!!

Not done yet but we are very happy with it.

Before

After

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

In some spots, he had to add a small "block" to the back of the cabinet face to properly attach the hinges. That is probably the best way I can describe it.

The paint we used was BM Satin Impervo Waterborne in Chantilly Lace.

• misplacedtxgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing, especially the pictures. I was afraid since my cabinets were designed for the exposed hinges they would look odd without them. Yours all look very updated.

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

Mooie and Gsciencechick - my cabinets are like yours! So glad I found this post.

Mooie, your before's show no trim on the doors. Did you install new doors, or did you add the mission style trim? Did you paint the interior of the cabinets? Did you use wood filler or caulk for the holes - can you tell where you filled?

Sorry for so many questions - but you folks have me motivated. My kitchen is a "sea" of orange birch and red oak flooring. It is begging for white!

Tuesday

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

Mooie, hoping to bump this back to the top! Still wondering how you trimmed your doors.

Tuesday

• stacieann63
    13 years ago

All the kitchens look great. You all did a terrific job. I had a terrible time finding hinges to replace the antiqued brass ones on my 23 year old cherry cabinets. I would have loved not having exposed hinges, but didn't think it was possible without either painting or refacing the doors. We wanted to keep the cherry.
    We did find brushed nickel hinges that kinda work, but not perfectly and not without having to drill all new holes on the backs on the doors. Just part of the charm of an older kitchen, I guess.
    I keep telling myself!