Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
three_daisies

And, my NEW oven tries to ruin Xmas dinner!! Advice, pls!

three_daisies
14 years ago

Will x-post this in Appliances, but thought I might get some good feedback here. I have a new Frigidaire Gallery wall oven and I'm not sure it's working properly.

A small overspill on a pie caused a huge smoke out --and even after we cleaned it up/scraped the charred stuff out after it cooled, it smoked us all out AGAIN when we put in the rest of the dinner to bake, and made ALL the baked food taste like smoke.

The oven window is now stained an iridescent MINT green from the smoke, and I can't wipe it off. I have a GREEN oven window!!

I can't even describe how disappointed I am - I feel like my 2 month old oven is ruined. I haven't tried the self-clean function yet but I'm afraid to create more smoke. It was in the air for hours yesterday.

I had this happen on a smaller scale from ONE drip of cheese from a pizza a few weeks ago, but the relatively small pie spill caused major havoc in the kitchen yesterday. My mom who was doing a lot of the cooking and who has 10 yr old GE Profile ovens, was completely flummoxed and didn't understand why the Frigidaire was smoking so much. Right now, I'd prefer my old 1976 ovens to this smoky mess. I always had junk/drips at the bottom of the old ovens and set the fire alarm off maybe ONCE in 5 years.

Is this normal for newer ovens?? I'm so crushed!!!

Comments (10)

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

I have no advice. Just chiming in for moral support. I'm sorry this happened, especially for a big dinner! Hope you get lots of answers.
    Lisa

• tntwalter
    14 years ago

So sorry that happened.

Trish

• judydel
    14 years ago

ThreeDaisies awwww that's too bad. They just don't seem to make anything like they used to. That's why I read, read, read as many reviews as I possibly can before making any major purchase. I even subscribe to Consumer's Review.

I found this link after doing a quick search. http://www.rateitall.com/i-11791-frigidaire-gallery-series.aspx

Unfortunately it looks like others also have had trouble with the Frigidaire Gallery series : (

• three_daisies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for responding.

I bought the oven through a local retailer, not a big box store, so hopefully they'll listen and help fix or replace. I can't believe that the amount of smoke we experienced yesterday is normal. I don't want to do any more baking because it all will taste like smoke. It kills me to have a green window. It looks weird.

I thought that Frigidaire had generally gotten good reviews; I always do a ton of research. I couldn't afford the Bosch oven that I really wanted. :(

• pepperidge_farm
    14 years ago

I would try the self clean function- after every big holiday roast (hours of turkey or ham, ect), I run the cycle to get all the spatters as my oven always seems to smoke after cooking something like that. It makes a big difference- no smoke after all said and done.

I baked a cake... long story, burnt butter and brown sugar all over the bottom of the oven (thanks Martha Stewart- no the alternate pan did NOT work as you suggested). It was a smokey MESS!

The next day, ran the self clean, and it all just turned to ash, no smoke, no problem. It cycles on and off at lower temps to solve that problem, at least it's supposed to.

I have a Maytag gemini, about 8-ish yrs old.

Good luck.

• three_daisies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I'll try the self clean before I fuss at the salesguy at the local store. I'll just have the kids out of the house and a fire extinguisher at the ready! ;p

• live_wire_oak
    14 years ago

I once had a very irate lady call our store chewing us out about the amount of smoke her new range made. Well, she had forgotten to remove the taped on bottle of oven cleaning cream that the manufacturer had supplied. So, I always ask if the cavity has been inspected well before being engaged in operation!

So first make sure that you've removed all of the literature and supplies that came with the oven. That includes any tape and tape residue. Tape residue can produce some nasty smoke. Check your storage drawer or broiler drawer if that is how your range is configured.

Then, make sure you've done the required burnoff that new ovens will need. That should be done before actually using it to cook with. It's a stinky process, but you have to heat the oven to 450° and keep it there for a couple of hours while any of the machine oil and grease burns off. You should be standing by to operate fans and open any windows while this process occurs. After you've done both of these things, run the self cleaning cycle (Make sure your racks are removed if they aren't also self cleanable. Most aren't.) Let your oven cool and wipe it out with soap and water.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Live-wire-oak... Great Advice. This could make a funny story.

3 Daisies,
    That must have been just terrible to have a smokey holiday
    meal. I fear it is your oven. Of course check out the
    manuals and paperwork but if you still have issues. Return
    the oven. Find out if they can give you credit on another
    oven.

I have a Bosch oven but I am not totally happy with little
    issues. Overall it gets a B+. It does not smoke at all,
    or have any issues with cooking. In fact the cooking aspect
    is great. It is the electrical issues on the oven. Two
    times in 4 months it would not shut off. I need to
    call Bosch to come out and look at it. If it is still
    being nasty about shut off. I am getting a new range.
    I read Epinions and should have followed advice about
    this range.

Here is an Epinions link that might help you too on
    research of the Frigidaire you have. That way you can
    see if other went through this too.

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/pr-Frigidaire_FEB30S6DC_FEB30S7DC_Oven

Thinking of you and hoping your Holiday candles drown out
    the smoke smell. : )
    ~boxerpups

Here is a link that might be useful: Epinions

• steff_1
    14 years ago

boxerpups - my new Bosch wall oven has issues too. I love the results, but it shuts off when I open the door for more than a few seconds. No basting allowed. Bosch has replaced two of the boards and will be back on Tuesday to replace the board that controls the door switch. This will be the fifth service call and should be the last part that needs to be replaced. It is all covered under warranty and I got a huge discount on it so I plan to keep it.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Hi Steff,
    Glad to hear that Bosch is being so helpful.
    My DW, Refrig and MW are excellent. And over all the
    range is pretty good. The electrical issue is worrisome
    but I will call them.
    Thanks,
    boxerpups