Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hbrrbh

Looking for photos of quarter sawn oak cabinets with light granit

hbrrbh
10 years ago

OK, here is our dilemma. As part of our remodel, we are opening our kitchen to the dining room, so are going to have an oak floor in both rooms.

Originally, we had been planning for white cabinets for the perimeter, and natural stain cabinets for the island. However, the local cabinet maker we might be using makes incredibly beautiful stained quarter sawn oak cabinets -- we've seen them in several kitchens now, and they look incredibly "rich". So now we are tempted by these cabinets (and DH has always had a preference for natural wood).

Here is the problem -- our kitchen is on the dark side -- so I'm worried that the wood cabinets, particularly in conjunction with the wood floor, will look too dark and brown. We will have stainless appliances, and are planning for most of the uppers to have glass doors, so that will offset some of the brown. We may also have a "hutch" at the end of a cabinet run, which could be primarily white (I don't think I want to do a white painted island because we pan to have seating at the island, and I'm concerned about too much scuffing. Or is that a misplaced concern?)

However, I definitely don't want a dark counter, we have that now and it just absorbs all the light. But almost all the quarter sawn oak cabinet kitchens I see on GW or Houzz seem to use dark counters (often soapstone). Has anyone seen photos of quarter sawn oak kitchens with light colored granite -- but not "gold" granite?

Thanks so much for any suggestions or leads.

Comments (18)