Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pabiabi_gw

It's finally done, my GW inspired kitchen (pics)

pabiabi
16 years ago

I can't believe it, it's DONE! We started in June with a 700 sf addition that included a kitchen, family room and mud room with a full (partially finished) basement below. And now it's done!

I received so much inspiration and advice from this forum, I am indebted to all of you. I often read and took note, and many of you (you know who you are) were highly influential in tweaking my plan... and I am thrilled with the results. I am finding it to be a perfectly functioning kitchen for our family.

So... no more words... here you go:

The deck is gone now! A new one coming in the spring.

After the deck was removed.

My "old" kitchen. The cabinets were originally stained, previous owner had painted white, a few years ago, I painted them red. The oven door broke in the middle of the demolition.

It's hard to stay tidy when you are cramped for space! Laundry was in the kitchen, hated that!

The "old" family room was not big enough for a family of six, and if they had friends over it was impossible. This room is now a study.

You can see the framing for the new mudroom here. The white door leads to the outside and another door to the garage. Uhmm we ran out of money, so the washer and dryer are in there... the cabinets and lockers for coats, backbacks etc are on uhm..."hold" until we find some funds.

Our NEW family room, where we all fit, and we can even have a few friends over!

Thanks for looking everyone!

Comments (54)

• vicnsb
    16 years ago

What a fantastic job!! All the details please?!
    Congratulations!

• fran1523
    16 years ago

It's sensational. I love that brick around the stove and all your warm colors. Enjoy your space.

• mnhockeymom
    16 years ago

Unbelievable!! Honestly, you did such a wonderful job that it looks like the space belonged with the house and has always been there. I hope you have an amazing holiday!!

• spinmom
    16 years ago

It's beautiful! I love the brick around your range!

• eandhl
    16 years ago

Beautiful! I love your cabs, counters and the space you have created!

• rhome410
    16 years ago

You did it! It's fantastic! LOVE how your 'hearth' turned out...It's perfect. The beam all the way across and the cabinets coming out under is inspired. I just keep going back and looking at all the photos again and again. Every part looks so wonderful...The colors, the cabinet style, the layout. I am SO excited for you.

• ntt_hou
    16 years ago

How Gorgeous! I love the rustic look. It's so warm! Congrats!

Nice touch on the chairs =o)

• jenanla
    16 years ago

Everything looks great. Love the range wall. Details...Please

Jenn

• pabiabi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much everyone. We are truly loving it. It's so great to have it finished just in time for the holidays. Yesterday I spent five HOURS making cookies with the kids. This whole process ususally stresses me out and I only do it for the sake of tradition... but yesterday was such a joy! My husband kept taking pictures of us and saying like we looked like we were in a Family Fun magazine.

I was so excited to post, I forgot the details... so here you go:

cabinets: custom made by local craftsman, birch, full inset

hardware: Restoration Hardware: Dakota

flooring: simplefloorsdotcom: reclamation plank: indian red

fridge/freezer: Electrolux Icon

DWers: KitchenAid

Range: Dual Fuel GE Cafe

Counters: Soapstone: M Texeira: Brazilian Black; also some maple butcherblock

Faucet: scrimped here, some off brand I bought on overstock

paint: BM chesterfield buff with mystic gold glaze over

brick: RObinson Thin Brick: English Pub

Thanks again for all the kind words.

• muscat
    16 years ago

*LOVE* Those cabinets! The whole thing is great, but those stand out. :)

• huango
    16 years ago

beautiful!

can you please share info on your appliances? specifically: your fridge/freezer?

thank you.

• DYH
    16 years ago

Congratulations! What an amazing space (I know it's a kitchen), but what you did with all the space is just wonderful. The details are perfect.

Happy Holidays with your family!
    Cameron

• huango
    16 years ago

(sorry, I must not have REFRESH before I posted).

I am so envious of that huge island/counter: love it!

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Wow,

It certainly does look big enough for a large family AND friends now. How nice to be able to start to create new memories in time for the holidays!

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

Gorgeous! Love what you were able to accomplish!

• malhgold
    16 years ago

Congratulations!!! Beautiful job. It's so nice to see a kitchen from start to finish. I remember all the different options with the layout. Looks like it all came together. Really like the sink wall with the 2 hutches. Well done!!!

• pabiabi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rhome and Igloo: Thanks for coming to look. You two were both very influential and gave me LOTS of good ideas. (move 2nd dw to window wall, add a sink there, split the fridge and freezer etc.) (oh yeah, and yelling at the cabinet guy when he was clueless on the distressing of red cabinets!)

The other BIG thing that I got from this forum that I LOVE is the drawers. Even my dh, who during this process didn't really care at all about the design, was commenting on how much he loves the shallow but wide drawers.

huango: What would you like to know about my fridge and freezer? I really like them so far. The freezer is a bit noisy at times, but with all the craziness of my house I seldomly notice it. I love having a full fridge, it never looks completely packed, and it's much easier to keep clean. Leftovers aren't getting shoved to the back and lost until they are green. They can be purchased with a grill on top and bottom. It would have lifted it off the floor another 4". We are short, so I didn't care that it was lower. I omitted the top grill too. All of this gave me another foot of cabinet space above them... which was nice since this wall is only 8.5' to the ceiling. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

• angelcub
    16 years ago

Yay!!! You're officially a Stoner!!! Welcome to the club! : ) Love all the rest of what you've accomplished, too. It's all so warm and welcoming. I adore your hearth area! And the island - wow! I can envision lots of family projects being created around it.

So glad you like all your drawers - aren't they one of the best ideas ever?! I don't think I could ever go back to reaching into the dark abyss of stationary cabinets.

Happy holidays to you and yours, and may you enjoy many, many years of wonderful memory making in your beautiful new space! : )

Diana

• emmie9999
    16 years ago

Gorgeous! It's all brand new, but it looks like it has always been there. It fits perfectly. I LOVE your "hearth" and the flow of the rooms. Congratulations!

Emmie

• eandhl
    16 years ago

pabiabi, are you from CT? You mentioned M Tex for your SS, who did your fabrication? We are in the NW corner of CT.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I agree with the posters who said that your kitchen looks like it has always been there. It is fabulous! The family room is also wonderful with those windows.

Congrats.

• soshh
    16 years ago

Congratulations! I am so excited for you! We started planning here around the same time (and my kitchen is still a far off dream, sob!).

It looks so warm and comfortable! Wishing you years of good times in the new space.

• pabiabi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

eandhl: I am in Canton! Where are you? My cabinet guy did the soapstone installation. It was a nightmare for him. Apparently he had bought from MT before, but always Santa Rita. My Brazilian Black was a lot harder than he was used to. He went thru a lot of drills and blades and whatever tools they use. I know he was cursing the whole time. He did a great job though, and I am very happy with the installation. If you are doing a "softer" soapstone I will give you his name! ALso, here in Canton there is a new stone and marble place and they would have installed for me. They also supply SS, from Green Mtn and MT I think. But they weren't able to get me a big enough slab for whatever reason.

soshh: I remember you! How are your plans coming along? The good news is that the more you dream about it and plan it, the more "right" it will be for you.

THanks to those who have said it looks like it has always been there, as that was my goal. I also hope that it has a timeless look... as I hope to never have to want to do it again! (As fun as it was at times, I think my stress level hit a new high.)

• pabiabi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Malgold... I just wanted to thank you as well. You were also very influential in my overall design and the results! Thank you for sharing so willingly.

• jayav
    16 years ago

Beautiful kitchen...everything wors so wonderfully together. Love love love the range wall...GORGEOUS!

A slightly OT question...where did you get the printed fabric sofa chair and ottoman you have in your family room?

• stiles
    16 years ago

Absolutely Amazing! You must feel so warm and cozy in your home-especially with all that snow! Love the hearth stove-have a great holiday.

Melinda

• starpooh
    16 years ago

I especially love your Brazilian Black soapstone!!

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog?
    If so please submit the Category Checklist so I can easily categorize your kitchen. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen Category Checklist

• ejr2005
    16 years ago

That's beautiful and also looks very functional. I'm envious of your brick hearth - I originally wanted one but let people talk me out of it. Yours looks perfect!

I also love the island and soapstone. How big is that island??

• Flowerchild
    16 years ago

I have to chime in here. You are now at the top of my favorite list. Thanks so much for sharing. I wanted to point out my two favorite things, the whole stove area ( we have the same range and love it) and the black hutch. There are many other things I love but those are my favs. Enjoy your "homey" space for years to come and have a great Holiday Season.

• eandhl
    16 years ago

pabiabi, we are renovating in Colebrook. Are you familiar with New England Appliance in Canton? Or where did you get your appliances?

• eandhl
    16 years ago

Yes I am hoping for Santa Rita. I want the old soft soapy feel and I know it will scratch and ding. Is your contractor in Canton? Again I love your kitchen! I am planning on Barn Red cabs and hopefully if still in budget soapstone. Wide plank oiled pine flooring.

• pabiabi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone!

jayav: my chair and ottoman are from Rowe furniture. I am glad you like it, I absolutely fell in love with that fabric when I saw it. (and if you have pets, it's great, the pattern is busy enough to not show everything!)

Starpooh: I consider it an honor, thanks for the link, I will do that.

ejr: the island is 4x9... how did they talk you out of brick? I am glad you like it.

flowerchild: thanks so much for the compliment, we must have similar tastes!

eandhl: You are very close! Yes, I bought my range, fridge and freezer from Daryl at NEengland Appliance. Here is the deal... I bought a bunch of stuff from Sears during a sale back in March. They had it on layaway or whatever since I didn't need them til September. In the meantime I learned about the Electrolux and GE Cafe range came out. I gave Daryl a call and I told him the prices I was seeing online. He was able to meet those prices. The great thing is that I work down the road in Avon, we had a date scheduled for delivery, he told me to call when I was leaving work, and his guys met me there 15 minutes later... none of that hanging around for four hours hoping someone will show up! I highly reccommend him, but do your price homework first. Oh... I also went in and said that I needed a vent hood that would be completely hidden(in the brick hearth), so I didn't need anything pretty, just functional. To be honest, I don't even remember WHAT I bought, but I know that the new ones were $1200 and he sold me a floor model with a dent for $350! My contractor is in South Windsor and my cabinet guy is in Coventry. If I were starting over I would try Cianci Marble and Stone in Canton. He was eager to find me some soapstone, but couldn 't find a big enough slab for my island. The guy there is very nice (and super cute too.) I have a friend who used him and was very happy with the work.

• eandhl
    16 years ago

pabiabi, good to hear you are pleased with Daryl. Not sure why but I was hesitant and now knowing someone that bought and is pleased makes me feel better. We also went to check out a big place in W Hart center. They deal some on prices. The closest place to me will not deal one cent on a pkg deal. I was set to order the DCS at NE, till me DH looked at the Viking in W Hart. Now I am undecided again. Oh, I also like your DR light. We have some similiar taste.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

. . . and just in time for Christmas, too! Your new kitchen is wonderful! It's so warm and inviting and that cooktop area is fantastic. Did you have to seal those bricks with anything? BTW, you have a lovely family!

• cindylou2006
    16 years ago

Congratulations! I love how you stayed true to your style and the style of your home. It looks like such a warm place for family and friends to gather! The the mix of stained and painted finishes! Merry Christmas!

• eandhl
    16 years ago

pabiabi, we were in your neck of the woods today. Went to Simsbury to the big appliance place to check (Holloways). On back thru Canton and couldn't find Cianci Marble and Stone - we could take this to email if you don't mind. folkstone at sbcglobal dot net. In the subject line put soapstone so I will know.

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Nice job, your kitchen is lovely. Can I ask how you were able to post so many nice pics without linking to Photobucket or some other site?

• pabiabi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

whippie: I just used the "copy html" link for each photo and then pasted to my message. It's the only way I know!

eandhl: I will email you!

cindy: I haven't sealed the brick yet, but I know I need to. I need to find something to seal it with that doesn't make it shiny or glossy, if that exists.

• eandhl
    16 years ago

No mail at 7:40 PM. :(

• paul_ma
    16 years ago

You must be thrilled. Nice set of pictures.

I have one question. In the picture with your family, which one is the mom?

• allensuen
    16 years ago

"In the picture with your family, which one is the mom?"

:) me too

• pabiabi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You are both WAY too kind. That's me in the shorts and pink running shirt... trust me.. I am old enough to have those kids! But thanks for the compliment.

• laurap_2007
    16 years ago

Just beautiful...love the brick oven around the stove, very creative.

• marthavila
    16 years ago

Pabiabi,

I can't believe it has taken me this long to tell you what a wonderful kitchen (and good looking family) you have! Sometimes, when I see a remodel this totally gorgeous, I am left momentarily speechless -- especially when several other have already spoken my exact sentiments. Still, I know the value of verbal bouquets and I've been meaning all along to send you one that lets you know how much I really enjoy looking at your new kitchen. Especially the hearth, hutch, soapstone counters and cabinety. A place after my own heart. Congratulations and Happy New Year!

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

Oh, I just love that hearth!

I was thinking of your kitchen recently--I remember your worries about the red paint job. Did your cabinetmaker redo the distressing for you? Was that all resolved to your satisfaction?

:-)

Francy

• pabiabi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Martha: Thank you so much for your kind words. I like the words "verbal bouquet", I am going to use that sometime this week... and yes they do have value. I appreciate your comments, thank you.

Bayarea: Yes the red cabinets! Well, he did take them back and redid the finish. (He claims he didn't know his installer had taken them from the shop that day to install... whatever.) I told him to do away with the distressing and just give me finished red cabinets. He did accomplish that. We didn't end on the best of terms. I am thrilled with the quality of the construction, and for the most part happy with the finishing. However, his ability to run his own business and communicate with other humans leaves a lot to be desired. He won't get my reccommendation to anyone.

Regarding the hearth, I would be remiss if I didn't say thanks to Colleen... (colleen, I can't remember your full screen name) for sending me a photo she had for inspiration. I was also highly influenced by this photo I found here on GW. I absolutely love it and worked my own rendidtion. If someone knows who to thank, please let me know!

• eandhl
    16 years ago

pabiabi, Do you still have my email address? I am sorry I accidently deleted yours. Could you send a message? TIA

• jackiemcg
    16 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. I know the fridge/freezer have not been in use for long but can you let me know how they are working so far? I just purchased these units (although they will not be installed for several months) and I know they have had some cooling issues in the past. I am hoping the issues have been resolved. Thanks Jackie

• pabiabi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

eandhl... I'll pop off an email right now.

jackie: So far, I LOVE them. No issues with temperature or anything else. The freezer is a bit loud, I do hear it from time to time, but it doesn't bother me. I am thrilled with the rolling bins on the fridge, they "glide", and it makes me smile every time.

• jackiemcg
    16 years ago

pabiabi - Thanks for responding. It is such a relief to hear they are functioning properly. Please let me know if any issues pop up. Thanks again. Jackie

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH