Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sergeantcuff

Is a backspash necessary? How about Beadboard? Pictures?

sergeantcuff
15 years ago

There are so many questions about backsplashes on this forum. I usually prefer the kitchen shown as it is, without a backsplash (I always like the "before" kitchen pictures on HGTV lol). I LOVE lanugget's kitchen that was posted yesterday, especially the clean line of soapstone meeting the beautifully painted wall.

Why is a backsplash necessary? To keep the wall clean? To protect the wall behind the sink from water damage? I currently have white laminate counters with a matching 7-inch-tall backspash. The backsplash rarely gets dirty, and we cook all the time. It just gets dust on the top ledge. We have a low-end stove that has a back part.

I'm using soapstone with creamy cabs and old pine floor. I like the simplicity of white subways, but that would be too white for me - I like color. There will be almost no wall showing. I've thought about sage green subways, but the ones I like are expensive and I'd have to be in love to spend the extra money. I like a simple look.

How about beadboard painted soft green or blue? How does that look where it meets the counter? I've seen a few pics in magazines but they used a piece of trim that seems to ruin the clean line.

Any answers out there? Thoughts on backsplashes? Pictures of beadboard backsplashes, especially colorful ones?

Thanks!

Comments (27)

• danielle00
    15 years ago

I'm curious about this too-- no backspash is something we are seriously considering (except behind our range-- that will get a SS backsplash provided by the range manufacturer).

Beadboard is something else we've considered, but we aren't convinced about that either.

• hilltop_gw
    15 years ago

I think it's totally personal preference. We put in corian countertops with a 3" cove backsplash and then tile on top of it. I like the rounded cove where counter meets wall because it's so easy to clean, but it's definitely not the trend now. We then went with the tile on top because the tile adds texture and ease of cleaning. Once tiled you're locked into that style though. With beadboard or no backsplash one could repaint; however we were concerned with dirt getting into all the lines of the beadboard. For us tile is so easy to keep clean. We used to have wallpaper but I would never do that again.

• zelmar
    15 years ago

Even though eliminating the short backsplash seems to be the trend we preferred to have the 3-4" backsplash in our traditional kitchen. I think the stone works better than beadboard behind the sink in the short wall space between counter and window. I also felt more confident about a stone-stone seam at counter level than stone-wood.

Even though we went in a different direction, the backsplashes I've seen on this forum with beadboard only look really beautiful with the simple lines you are after.

Here's our light green beadboard(but unfortunately it reads a little more blue in the photo than it is.)

{{gwi:1570742}}

• Fori
    15 years ago

I have (unremodeled still!) a 4" splash integrated into my pink Corian, and tile on that around the cooktop. It does get a little grubby on the tile behind the cooktop and I would like something washable there--like tile or beadboard with a durable glossy paint. The other place I need a splash in behind the sink. There is a ~5 inch painted section between the pink Corian backsplash and the pink Corian window ledge and that area does get quite a bit of splashing. I think something more waterproof would be better there, although it's been that way probably for 50 years. Maybe wallpaper waterproofed it...Beadboard here would also be good I think. Painted drywall is probably fine if sealed well enough.

Where I'd worry most--and this is totally fixable--is in wet areas where the counter meets the wall. You don't want anything seeping back there. As long as you get that joint taken care of, no worries. Just don't slide the toaster back too hard!

• gglks
    15 years ago

like danielle00 (who i've sent this too!) we only did a backsplash behind the cooktop. i didn't even do the 3 inch backsplash because it reminded me of a bathroom!!! i wipe my counters CONSTANTLY and i haven't had a problem with the wall getting dirty or wet. i guess you have to know what kind of cook you are too. my gc did put a small line of silicone just to protect any water from leaking down the cabinets.....

as far as beadboard...i liked this kitchen when we were looking.....looks like they just go straigt down to the counters as well....

{{!gwi}}

• gglks
    15 years ago

i tried to copy a photo for you but just didn't work....maybe this will help....

Here is a link that might be useful: beadboard backsplash

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing everyone! Are there any other pictures out there for Danielle and I?

Zelmar - you kitchen is one of my favorites. I like your short backsplash (mjsmama's is similar and her walls are painted soft green). I have a feeling I might be happiest with that in the long run as it will never look dirty. I am very concerned about the stone-wood seam. Your beadboard looks fabulous!

gglks - What color silicone did your gc use? Does it match the wall or the counter? I wonder if my gc should use a dark grey color to match the soapstone?

I do worry about any seam looking dirty. And the extra cost of a soapstone backsplash> I need to get an estimate for adding that in.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

We couldn't decide on a backsplash at all despite numerous attempts. In our case, we have to have something as the granite installers didn't scribe the back so we have some rather large gaps (up to 1/2 inch). The issue is that our granite has tons of movement and color so it was pretty much impossible to find something that we both liked and that we could afford.

In a moment of inspiration, we came up with the perfect for us solution. It's a piece of wood molding (standard stock at HD) that we sealed/primed/painted/stenciled/sealed. It was rather inexpensive which means we can replace it if/when we get tired of it and if/when we find something else we love. But really, I love this backsplash. Clear caulk seals the gap between the two and it's working very well.

I had previously advocated for beadboard or painted tin for our backsplash but Hubby didn't like either of those ideas (not to his taste).

We will be putting a piece of our granite behind the stove. We have several remnants of our granite so the only cost will be fabrication and installation. I've toyed with the idea of making a 6" curved top backsplash for the rest of the counters with our granite (the current wood backsplash has a curved top and I love it) but I'm not sure about that.

From Kitchen Backsplash

• autumngal
    15 years ago

Thanks Maureeninmd for posting this, I've been wondering the same thing. We probably won't be doing any sort of backsplash, I've been thinking beadboard because I think that will be the back of our uppers with glass doors. I also like the idea that I can change the color of things without a major reno. However, I don't want water/food damage that would cause damage... I've always loved gglks kitchen (and if it's possible to move our window down, I'd like to do the same thing- windows are meant to have water splashed on them, genius!).

Here are some of my inspiration pictures (hopefully this will work)

Also in my inspiration photos (in addition to gglks, of course) is mfrog's kitchen.

• momof3kids_pa
    15 years ago

We're doing beadboard backsplashes -- on Friday. We're about 85% done, I'll post pics when we're all done. HOPEFULLY, this weekend.

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fantastic inspiration pics! I am still unsure about the seam between the beadboard and the soapstone though. To keep things simple I think I'll do either a short soapstone backsplash OR beadboard, not both. I have to get an estimate for the ss ...

pbrisjar - your backsplash is really beautiful. I wouldn't trust my sons near anything so pretty!

Momof3kids - I can't wait to see your results. Good Luck!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Thanks. Hubby did it all - I just helped pick out the design. It's very durable. It gets wet all the time behind the sink and has held up really well. Best thing is, because it was so cheap to make there's no worries if it does get damaged (though it would make me sad as I love it).

Would you be interested in a close-up of where our wood joins our granite? Let me know and I'll clear a spot and take a few pics.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I don't think you have to have a backsplash and I think given the age of your home that beadboard would be a great choice if you end up wanting a backsplash. In terms of caulking with soapstone you would probably go dark to match the countertop - that would be the least noticeable choice. With beadboard you could go with the paintable kind or the attached is a tintable caulk you can match to any paint colour.

Here is a link that might be useful: red devil caulk

• trailrunner
    15 years ago

We don't have a backsplash. We have teak countertops in the cooking/sink area and soapstone in the prep baking area. I have BM matte paint on the walls and beadboard inside the few uppers. I can scrub the paint and it has held up perfectly now for 2 years. The area behind the cooktop looks just as it did when 1st painted. All of the places that meet the wall are caulked with clear caulk. It has not been a problem....and I am not a NEAT cook LOL. Hope this helps you decide. I have an 1890 home and felt the look was very appropriate to my kitchen/home.

{{gwi:612474}}

• arlosmom
    15 years ago

Hi Maureen. We have a subway tile backsplash with accent tile only behind the stove, and a 4" soapstone backsplash the rest of the way around the kitchen. We're very pleased with how it looks in our old house. Here are a couple of photos:

{{!gwi}}

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

The 4 inch integrated backsplash (which trends seem to be moving away from) is nice because it eliminates that icky joint where counter meets wall tile, or bare wall. Lots of tilesetters grout that joint (a mistake, it should be sanded caulk, not grout, because the cabinets and wall expand and contract at different rates and grout is too rigid for that movement) and this means the joint opens and becomes a mess, especially if the grout or the tile is light colored. Setting tile atop that backsplash doesn't seem to be prone to that joint movement.

And if you're doing soapstone, bringing it up the wall, either 4 inches or higher, would look great with your vintage kitchen.

That said, I've seen really nice period kitchens where the backsplash is painted wood, either beadboard, or repeating inset panels created with flat stock and molding. I'll have to find pics of the latter. I think they're at home in my big book o' kitchen inspiration pics.

Try country home's kitchen gallery, or cottage life's kitchen pics.

• msrose
    15 years ago

sorry to hijack, but arlosmom, what is your paint color?

Laurie

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

My husband must restrain me after seeing all your fabulous kitchens, I want to tear mine out and start over! I have a long mirror the length of the wall behind my sink. It is very well sealed to the wall and the joint to the countertop. My hubby does all our cooking and lots of splashing and splatters happen, but the well sealed glass mirror is fine, and easy to clean. I hot Dawn suddsy water wash like the dishes, dripping down back into the sink, squeegy off and polish dry. Planning to wash it this way, the sealing was with this in mind. The back of the stove is SS all the way up to the hood, a pain to polish, and I'm still struggling for the right side wall. Glass panels I can remove and stick in the dishwasher is my first choise, but how do you find out what is safe next to the heat of the gas burners.
    Thank you all for your pictures, this is a most inspiring thread!
    ps. not good to reach like this for those of us with back pain, thus my dishwashable panel idea.

• danielle00
    15 years ago

These are great pics-- we finally have placed our cabinet order and now it's time to think about the smaller details-- still considering beadboard or no backsplash-- we're fairly sure we will not be doing tile. I love gglks' kitchen-- it's beautiful w/o the 4-inch backsplash... given how much coffee I spill, though, that's an area I might need to protect.

• momof3kids_pa
    15 years ago

I thought I posted my beadboard pics to you in this post when I did my "finished kitchen" post, but apparently not,

We used a strip of 1x2, routered out a groove for the beadboard to sit in , so the beardboard wasn't sitting right on the counter.

anyway, here's my beadboard:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

I vote for painted beadboard. It will give you texture and a period look, and has the added benefit of being paintable. Soft green would be nice too.

We chose to keep our windows big, and just use the trim as our backsplash at the sink.

I would not do this again; I am sick of wiping water drips off wood trim and the window.

From what I remember of your layout, your window is well above the sink, so splashes on the glass shouldn't be an issue for you. As for drips on painted beadboard--you'll have to wipe the backsplash no matter what material it is. Beadboard is pretty, and also very economical.

We chose to do a mosaic tile backsplash behind the range, but it was mostly because we wanted a dash of pattern there. Splashes can just as easily be wiped from the painted wall.

Can't wait to see your demolition & rebuild!

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

abbycat, that's a beautiful sight, the wood looks like satin-love it, but may I ask how you clean those windows without killing your back?

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am very undecided about this. I think a short soapstone BS would be the easiest to keep clean, but I also like the look of beadboard down to the counter. (that would also save some $$). All I am sure of is that I have lost all interest in tile. So many beautiful kitchens are pictured in this thread! Maybe I can't go wrong either way.

Momof3 - I love the simple trim you used. I worry about trim like that getting damaged when used behind the sink or a workspace such as next to the stove. Your beautiful brick veneer will never look dirty.

The cabinet order is going in this week, so I am getting very excited. I need to decide about this backsplash so I can move on to other decisions - paint color and hardware.

What do you think of this idea: The kitchen will be entirely fitted with cabinets, so my GC has suggested putting beadboard on all exposed walls: backsplash, behind the range, tiny wall section with wall-hung radiator, and above the 2 windows and 3 doors. (10 x 12 room). Will that look too "cute"? The walls are plaster (and plasterwork will be needed either way), and the ceiling will be drywall.

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

The all-beadboard option sounds good to me. Talk about a period look!

Prior to embarking on homeownership, we rented a cute southern arts & crafts house. The kitchen was all [original] painted beadboard, although I think there might have been vinyl wallpaper on the sink backsplash wall (pre-digital camera; would have to dig for pics). We LOVED this kitchen--the house was showing signs of too much renter wear, but we LOVED the layout, materials and the general good vibe of an old home.

Now are you talking real beadboard or the panels of beadboard sold in big boxes? Either would suffice for your small coverage areas, but there's nothing like real beadboard with all the irregularities and character... Sigh, I miss that house!

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm really not sure. He says he has piles of it in his workshop, mostly left over from porch ceilings, so I assume it would be the real stuff? They are very different. I have two porches with old beadboard ceilings and a bathroom with wainscoting done with the new-type panels.

• madeyna
    15 years ago

Our 1915 house had the real bead board in several rooms and the only real issue I can see with using it was everytime someone hung something on a wall it makes a hole so these walls had lots of nail holes. I just repaired beadboard wall upstairs and sanded and putted a very holey wall and it painted up great. If I had known it was going to be that simple a fix I would have rehabed the beadboard in the whole house. Another thing you need to do with bead board to help with cleaning is to putty the very bottom grooves or dirt gets in there that is impossible to get out. I just used painters puddy before painting.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x