Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Toe kick drawers, hinges, & other brilliance

CEFreeman
12 years ago

Hi all!

One of the benefits of making my own kitchen is the flexibility to add/remove things as I think of them, or find better.

I have a 33" base and a 36" sink base that don't have toe kicks on them yet. Actually, nothing does, but these are empty underneath.

I was wondering if anyone knows of retrofit drawers or pull outs that could be used here? I had originally wanted these, but a person that was initially helping me (I nixed that quickly) discouraged me so well I gave up the idea.

I'm also looking for some hinges that would work with full overlay (1/4" reveal) doors and some standard overlay doors. I think they're called "bin" hinges? They lift up and stay, and are for cabinets that are really too high for me, anyway, but good for storage.

Any recommendations for either?

Thanks!

Christine

Comments (19)

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Here are lots of options. I'd love to do this too.

Here is a link that might be useful: toe kick photos

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Christine... do you mean the kind that lift horizontally?
    If so, IKEA has hinges for that.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Horizontally = side to side?
    No, vertically (= up)
    But I'll head to Ikea and look!

emagineer,
    first I thought, fine, pics are great, but I need the how of it.
    Then I realized I can get to the web sites of the places doing this and some of them are woodworking and handyman magazine websites. I'm gonna figure it out! :)

Thanks,
    Christine

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I meant vertically... too much Holiday cheer I guess...

the hinges for these is what I meant, sorry!

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's it.
    remodelfla, I can't locate just the hinges on IKEA.
    Did you actually see them there? Or do you think it's just on the cabinet?

Thanks,
    Chrsitine

• User
    12 years ago

Christine, would they be called piano hinges? I've used them on a couple of projects, and they work like a hot.. you know what! LOL.. google piano hinges under images, not web, and you'll see what I mean! CCK

• abfabamy
    12 years ago

The problem with piano hinges on a cabinet like that is that they don't stay open like the hinges you are looking for. That makes getting things out and putting them away difficult when you need both hands.

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

The wasted spaces (diy network, I think) show has done toe kick drawers before. If you can find the specific episode (it had a kitchen, but they were reworking the space into a beverage center in the one particular episode I am thinking of...might even still be on hulu--wasn't that long ago). You might be able to find info on how they did it on the diy network website and other youtube/video how to websites that are around.

It was a basic box build, and then add hinges. Not sure about retrofit kits.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Just thinking, may or may not work. But perhaps using the sink drawer tip out hardware (upside down) would work. They are small and allow the front to close well.

• oldhousegal
    12 years ago

Hafele makes a lift hinge like that but I found it to be quite expensive for just the hinge. I also looked at Ikea, but couldn't find just the hinge- you had to buy the cabinet it came on. Here is the Hafele one: http://www.hafele.com/us/news-and-events/news/8159.asp

I think the toe kick drawers are a great idea, but only if you can easily open them. Here's an article I found about a touch open, toe kick:
    http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/SpringLoaded_TouchOpen_ToeKick_Drawers.html

I've also seen posts where people put a big enough pull on the toe kick drawers so they can get their toes under it and pull....

• taggie
    12 years ago

They lift up and stay, and are for cabinets that are really too high for me, anyway, but good for storage.

If the cabinets are too high for you and the door opens up to the top, how are you going to get them closed again? It might be more practical to have standard opening doors on high cabinets?

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

{{!gwi}}
    Here is a closeup of the IKEA hinge. As I recall, when you need only a specific part; you go the kitchen order desk and they input the cabinet it comes with. Their computer gets a detailed parts list. Then they delete all parts except for what you need. That, I believe, was the process used when we just needed a box or a set of glides but no door front. Seems like there should be a easier process, but at least when we went, there wasn't.

• jscout
    12 years ago

I have toe kick drawers. Three of them. My cabinetmaker told me he just made them like any drawer, just no bottom. He used sidemounted drawer glides from KV. The cool thing is I give the drawer a nudge and it pops open. To close, I push them in until they click. This is all part of the drawer glide. I wrapped the drawer face in clear contact paper so I don't have to worry about all that kicking and scuffing the finish.

• dseng
    12 years ago

Check Rockler Woodworking - look under "bin hinge" I think they run about $8.50/pair

• mtpam2
    12 years ago

Here's an old thread that also talks about toe kick drawers. I think there were instructions in one of the posts on how to install them.
    HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Link that might help.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok.
    Although I have to look further at Rockler, I did find these Lift up, bin hinges.

I also found the toe kick push & release thingy. here.

The thing is for both of these -- and Rockler's site -- is that they don't tell me what I really need to buy to make these work.

The same thing I face with undercabinet lighting. I know what I want, but nowhere do they say, "You need to buy THIS in order to make your system work."

Tell me and I'll do it!

Smell steps forward.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Are you ready for this from Doorslides.com!?

They sent me a form to fill out that calculates the parts I would need to buy for the lift up bin hinges.
    Can you handle this!?! I can buy something without worrying about buying the wrong parts or not enough of the right parts.

I cannot believe how helpful!
    Gotta email them about the kick thing for toe kick drawers now. Think I'll wait a bit and not drive this guy nutty.

Christine

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

Also, I was just flipping through the Lee Valley hardware catalog (that I requested after seeing a post in the kitchens forum for drawer divider hardware...) and this catalog is AWESOME! It has everything! Including kickout things for toe kick drawers, the Blum (and other brands) soft close "lift system" (your hinges for vertical lift), etc. The catalog is great for identifying what you need is called (and then you can more easily search if needed other places.) It was free to request.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I ordered the drawer divider things from them! Just another project. ICFGreen is waiting for my bamboo divider trays.

I'll head back over there and look at the catalogue!

Thanks,
    Christine