Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnajill_gw

What to do for backsplash?

donnajill
10 years ago

Looking for ideas and guidance for the backsplash in our new kitchen. We have white mission style cabinets with a mother of pearl quartzite countertop and stainless appliances. The backsplash will be 18" high and run the length of 2 walls. I'm thinking about tile or maybe a painted beadboard. What would you do? Pictures would be helpful.

Comments (19)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Look on houzz.com and you will see lots of ideas.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Could you post a close up of your counter amd maybe another pic or two of your kitchen?

• donnajill
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gladly!

• donnajill
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the countertop

• donnajill
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another view...

• romy718
    10 years ago

This is pipdog's kitchen with countertops similar to yours. Her backsplash is gorgeous, "White Onyx" staggered purchased at Stone Mart in Burbank, Ca.

• romy718
    10 years ago

A closeup of pipdog's backsplash.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Wow
    Great looking kitchen and needs a backsplash to pull it together
    How about Vihara tiles
    I would be concerned about painted beadboard behind a cook area but there is tile beadboard available.
    Edited for grammar - ugh!

This post was edited by a2gemini on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 5:03

• donnajill
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you - the white onyx and the vihara tiles both look amazing!

• eam44
    10 years ago

Donna - do you want to bring any color into your kitchen, or do you prefer neutrals/white? Also, what is your budget in $/sf?

• rbattaglia24
    10 years ago

Here is a kitchen I found and am using as inspiration. I like the neutrals. I am currently building, but also have white cabinets with a dark island.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gray backsplash

• donnajill
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I prefer neutrals, I think. I would rather bring in colors with paint and window treatments that can be easily changed. I'm not even sure about the budget since I haven't actually priced anything out. I don't need rock bottom prices but I don't want to overspend in relation to the rest of the kitchen/house which is not what you would call upscale.

That being said, once I fall in love with something (like my quartzite countertop), I will try my best to find a way to pay for it. My daughter doesn't really need that last semester of college, does she? I think she's learned enough.

• fishymom
    10 years ago

I think both options pictured above would look great with your gorgeous countertops!

• eam44
    10 years ago

Haha! She's learned enough - of course she's learned enough! (Fast forward a few years, "mom doesn't really need that I.V. does she? I think she's lived enough.").

Let me start by saying I love Pip's kitchen and I love her bs. When you look at those images you see the bs. The counter is not the boldest element. I love that. If you want your counters to be the star you're going to go for uniformity of color, and get your visual interest by (I love this trick) mixing frosted and glossy elements that are the same color.

Here are some possibilities for you. These are all glass mosaics. You can absolutely get a similar effect in porcelain tile as well.

• DennyDine
    10 years ago

I would lean towards a classic white beveled subway in a larger format, or a Carrera subway (as long as it doesn't fight with your quartzite)

• Chef4Six
    10 years ago

EAM44 -
    which site did you get the glass diamond and circles accent tiles from?
    or - all the glass tiles you posted
    i like them!

This post was edited by Chef4Six on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 15:55

• eam44
    10 years ago

Hi Chef. These are all from Glass Tile Oasis. They have a great site to search, and their prices are competitive, but you can buy the tiles from just about anywhere online.

• cani
    10 years ago

Are your counters madreperola? If so how are they holding up? I am looking at that for my countertops so it's nice to see what it will look like. I have my eye on the vihara tiles.

• isabel98
    10 years ago

I have madre perla counters... bullet proof. so glad I chose these with 2 kids and husband who are great at making messes. we do everything on these counters, cooking, eating, art projects etc. without a doubt the most beautiful element in my kitchen.