Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindyklein_gw

Desparately need your help before I fire my designer

cindyklein
12 years ago

Help, I'm pulling my hair out. My designer and I are at war over where to put the kitchen prayer shrine. Originally I thought it would be as a nook over the stove, but I am being told that isn't the best place to put it. If anyone would be so kind as to post and photos they have of their prayer shrines so I can show my designer it would be most appreciated.

Comments (28)

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Cindy, do you have any photos of prayer shrines similar to the one you're envisioning?

If you provide rough proportions along with the layout of your kitchen, some of the design gurus will be able to help.

• Buehl
    12 years ago

Forgive my ignorance, but what is involved in a "prayer shrine"? What types of items are placed in it, how is it used (yes, I know, for praying, but how is it used for praying), etc.?

Depending on your answer, it may or may not explain your KD's recommendation.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Can you use the same studwall technique most of us use to make a range niche to put one in the kitchen table corner of the room? Add a lip to increase the depth.

What do you put into the shrine?

• markb
    12 years ago

Everyone,

I think if you'll do a gardenweb search of postings for "cindyklein", you'll know how to respond...........

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Thanks markb.

I did the search as you suggested.

Just what every online forum needs: a little trickster/prankster!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Yeah....didn't he/she comment on Aloha's gas cooktop cleaning thread about having the maid do the cleaning?

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Maybe her current prayer shrine, helped her get the maid... :)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

Here's a perfect kitchen accessory for her shrine, courtesy of palimpsest, on an older thread.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Kitchen prayer shrines do actually exist, so it's not a terribly funny or successful joke, eh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buddhist kitchen shrines, contents

• gardengrl66 z5
    12 years ago

OMG Mamagoose, that is funny. Maybe she'll leave as suddenly as she showed up (according to her page just 3 days ago...)

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Yes, they do exist, but not normally over the stove. [LOL]

I admit to boredom sometimes, but it's only because I'm procrastinating. Never thought to kill time with odd jokes on GW.

Watch out, all! :)

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

In Asia you often see kitchen shrines built into a niche. But not above the stove. You can build a small altar into the wall or a niche.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I think this would make a lovely addition to the niche.

Depending on where you live, this may be required by code over the range:

• eastfallsglass
    12 years ago

I totally understand your predicament, the placement of the prayer shrine was a very heated topic when we redid our kitchen. Go with your gut on this and fire the designer, you can always find another with a more compatible view to yours on the placement of the shrine. I would share the photo of our shrine, but it is such an important and personal decision that you should really not be influenced by the current fashion or what others are doing.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

reminds me of

archnista site:ths.gardenweb.com

Hth

• eastfallsglass
    12 years ago

Yes, marcolo alluded to the necessity to check the local building codes for shrine placement requirements, sorry I did not mention this. There may be many stipulations that would dictate the size, depth, placement and shape of the shrine - check with your local building inspector or municipality to make sure you are in compliance.

• motodetroit
    12 years ago

I think it needs to be in a northwest corner, but not facing a door.

• springroz
    12 years ago

You'll need a used bathtub....

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

Here's our kitchen shrine:

• chris11895
    12 years ago

I would rethink the kitchen location of your shrine all together. It seems it would be better suited in your bathroom.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Springeroz is right.
    A bathtub is necessary.
    In the Northeast corner of the yard, facing east, bury the bathtub on end, 1/2 way up. Put a figurine of your favorite Disney character in there and worship daily, at dawn.

Jesus and Mary in the bathtubs are not PC anymore.

Christine

• User
    12 years ago

I spent a lot of time, money and effort on my shrine (which, BTW, is over the range and there is *nothing* wrong with putting one there) and when my in laws were at my house last weekend, they didn't even mention it! And my shrine is MUCH nicer than that wreck they call a shrine. Then, this morning, my SIL came over and didn't even mention my new shrine! I could just smack her!!!!! I mean, I had a shrine way before she did, in fact, I introduced her to the whole concept of shrines and then she has the nerve to come to my house and not even say that she likes my new shrine!!!!!! Who could not love it, it's the PERFECT shrine, in fact, it's the ONE TRUE SHRINE, it's white, inset, has soapstone and there is not ONE INCH of shiny brass on it. I am so mad at her I could just spit and I don't think I can even enjoy my shrine now, she has ruined it for me.

sandyponder

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Ssndy: obviously she's just JEALOUS of your shrine and withholding comment out of sheer spite.

• cindyklein
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all your kind reply you have all been a real inspiration to me and have given me a lot of new ideas to contemplate. However, I've gotten into yet another fight with my designer about this renovation, but fear not I shall start a new thread and leave these ideas for the next person who is going through such an ordeal.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Sandyponder, of course you can enjoy your shrine!!! Just give it a pop of color!

(ROTFLMAO by your post)

• kalapointer
    12 years ago

We pray to the kitchen god daily hoping that all are baked goods come out perfectly. Here is my shrine. I thought I was the only one that had one. I didn't know there were so many believers out there. I guess it is the Christmas season.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

My kitchen shrine holds 15 bottles of wine and I pay homage to it on a regular basis.