Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

Mostly done with pictures

localeater
11 years ago

These are bad pictures because it is gray, gray, gray here today(and I am a terrible photographer). I did want to post a few because it is pretty close to done- so this is not an official reveal. Cabinets are walnut, counters are brushed Madre Perla. We still need stools, island light, decorations, window treatments.
In case you are curious, Madre Perla quartzite is truly bullet proof, I cam home yesterday to the ruins of a pomegranate and a defrosting bag of raspberries on the countertop- cleaned up with water.

From GW Photos

From GW Photos
From GW Photos

Comments (41)

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Love the warm feeling of your kitchen! Beautifully done. Congratulations.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Awesome:)

• cookncarpenter
    11 years ago

As a woodworker, I appreciate the joinery on the beams!
    Love your floor, what type of wood is that?

• CallMeJane
    11 years ago

Very nice kitchen, love the wood...Madre Perla sounds like something I should look into.
    Thanks!!

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Love this... The beams, the countertops, the island styling, especially.

Remembering a previous post, what did you decide about your backsplash?

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Oh the wood !!! Can you show a close up of the walnut cabinets ? Beautiful room, I LOVE all the windows.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Love! Warm, spacious, light and unpretentious. Can't wait for more photos and details.

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

Really lovely ! The wood is so rich and warm. Goes very well with the views I can see from your windows. I love a home that reflects the setting in which it is built. Your total reveal will be so nice...looking forward. c

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    11 years ago

Very warm, inviting, and serene; a tough combo, in my book!

Seconding linelle on can't wait for more pics! And a pretty-please request for a closeup of the brushed, bulletproof madre perla?

cheers

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all. My mission statement was "modern farmhouse"; warm, organic(in feel- not in the LEED sense) and calm, functional, lovely, but not "pretty", per se. Your comments tell me that I stayed pretty true to my course.
    I doubt I can take any more photos today, because the gray day has turned into lashing rain, with severe gusty winds. I am watching my birch trees sway violently and wondering if any, how many, will snap. The rain will probably turn to sleet soon as the sun will set shortly. The woodstove is cranking, my flashlights are at the ready. In 2 hours we are supposed to leave to go to the mountains skiing for the weekend and I am dreading the drive. I need to convince my DH to drive up in the morning, but that means he misses his early morning runs- if you are a ski enthusiast you know first tracks are the best. If I can convince him to leave in the AM, perhaps he can take pictures, unlike me he is a good photographer.
    When I get a chance for more photos I promise close ups of the walnut, and the countertop. Not meaning to tease but the countertop is beautiful. My slab actually has streaks of amethyst(or something very purple) in it, in addition to some orange rust. It is different every time I look at it.

ctycdm: The flooring is ash, specifically 5" clear ash. Our house is about 40 years old and most of the first floor was already ash so when we re-did the kitchen we extended the wood floors. I really struggled with that decision, part of me wanted tile for its durability factor, part of me wanted marmoleum for its green factor and its softness, but ultimately I decided the flooring needed continuity and so I went with the ash.

rhome: I don't think I have actually completed the backsplash decision yet- LOL I guess there is a certain club I may qualify for membership in. I always knew I wanted the Madre Perla to be a high splash behind the sink. I did that and I love it. I thought a lot about going with a piece of M.P. behind the stove and they did end up having enough of the slab to do it but I chose not to. It just didn't feel right, if you know what I mean. So, I am sitting in a place of indecision on that front.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Very pretty! Enjoy!

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

Very nice with beautiful floors. Would you please give information about the rug?

• cookncarpenter
    11 years ago

Aha I was going to say the grain looked like Ash, but didn't want to offend in case it was some exotic rare species.
    I think you did the right thing by matching the wood floors already in other parts of the house.
    And give your carpenter a pat on the back for those beams! joinery is becoming a lost art...

• kaysd
    11 years ago

Looks wonderful. I love the beams. I look forward to seeing better pics of the walnut and MP. I am impressed it passed the pomegranite test.

• fav.auntx2
    11 years ago

love it :)

• janetraz
    11 years ago

Wow! Your kitchen is wonderful. Very warm, rustic and beautiful

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

So beautiful! I love the exposed beams! Everything turned out so well.

• msrose
    11 years ago

Oh, I'm so thrilled to see you used Madre Perla! I've only seen it in white kitchens and I've been thinking about using it it with my darker cabinets. Did you have a hard time finding it? Just wondering if it's rare since I haven't seen it in many kitchens. I hadn't thought about the brushed finish, but I love it.

• jenny_from_the_block
    11 years ago

That is beautiful - love the wood beams. I think you achieved the look you were going for very well.

• taggie
    11 years ago

Oh wow, it is beautiful. Those windows. Those beams!! Be still my heart. Looking forward to seeing more pics and the full reveal.

• rosie
    11 years ago

I love your style, Localeater, and the openness of no uppers. It's very, very nice. I'm also looking forward to more pictures. Hope your trees are all well...

• teeda
    11 years ago

I love your kitchen. Incredible understated style. I envy your miles of countertop. You did a great job!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I love it. Your home looks like such a relaxing retreat.

• deedles
    11 years ago

That kitchen is turning out beautifully! Better pics for sure asap :)

LOVE those beams. Also, looking forward to seeing the cabs better and esp that one that rests on the counter.

Did you pick your ceiling light yet? And do you need a back splash? It looks great the way it is...love the clean lines.

• Zippity-do-dah
    11 years ago

Wow - rustic beams are surprisingly happy with the modern lines of your kitchen. Even the fab view out the window seems to match modern/rustic feel! I'd love to see the light when you have installed it over the island. Thank you for sharing.

• sochi
    11 years ago

It looks wonderful. Please, please post more pictures when you're back from skiing! I want to see all the details.

• smaloney
    11 years ago

I just saw this and wanted to add to the oohs and ahhs. It's simple and gorgeous.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Love the beams? Really curious what type of lighting you selected?

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

very warm and gorgeous! love all the wood and the madre perla! i also like that cute pic on your wall!

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

very nice.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Local- not ignoring you- just want to see on a computer.

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since this last post we found our island light. I love it.
    It is the Toledo from Troy Lighting. Unfortunately I may have fallen out of love with my sconces so I am in the process of trying out replacements for them.
    Here are pictures with the island light.

From GW Photos
    From GW Photos

• francoise47
    11 years ago

The Toledo fixture looks perfect over your island. Thanks for posting the updated photos of your wonderful kitchen.

• deedles
    11 years ago

That light is awesome and looks great in there. To be truthful, I felt the sconces were a little small or...something. Glad you are looking at other options.

So, so beautiful, though!

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

This is really beautiful. Don't you just sigh AHHHHhhhh with pleasure when you walk into this room?

I like how the island light echoes the angular shape of the stove hood. And I really love all the natural wood finishes in the room. The cabinets, beams, and flooring are all rich in texture and color.

Did I say really beautiful?

• karen_belle
    11 years ago

Why not get similar fixtures for the walls to go along with the island lighting?

• firstmmo
    11 years ago

Looks beautiful!!! I was thinking the same thing that Karenbelle was...maybe Troy lighting has a similar sconce in the darker metal that would carry more "weight" and thus make them stand out a bit more.

I really do love this look with the beams and the clean walls (no uppers--love!).

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Unfortunately the Toledo sconce is way too big. Also, I am looking for something with greater extension and with a covered bulb. I want to get the light out from the wall a bit. I have tried the Princeton Junior from Schoolhouse Electric and while it works I think it may be too long, so now I have the Princeton Sophomore on order.
    Firsthouse, I think, actually, I am trying to replicate the Boston Functional you used.
    Getting the light up and out also helps with window treatments. I need a filtering treatment on the windows because the sun can be blinding in the morning and right now with the bounce off the snow it is really awful. However, I want something that blocks as little of the window as possible when open because this is the cold dark North and while the morning sun is bright, the winter days are short. I need all the light I can get so we don't become depressed zombies! And, of course, I want something that is in keeping with the natural feel of the space. I think I need to look at woven rollers, or shades. I think I may actually have some wooden blinds lying around, but I have to see if they fit and I think they might be too heavy looking. I should give them a look-see though.
    Unfortunately work is busy now and I am dealing with a dear friend's health crisis so there is little time for kitchen stuff. When I find a few minutes it is such a respite from everything else that it provides some needed mental time off.
    Thank you GW friends!

• theresa2
    11 years ago

Really beautiful kitchen. I love how you back-splashed under the window for practicality and left all the other walls unadorned and uncluttered. I love your countertops and beams. I love it all!

Do your ash floors have a stain on them or are they natural?

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Theresa. My ash floors are not stained.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling