Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grannabelle

Show Me Your Subway Tile Backsplashes

grannabelle
16 years ago

kitchen just about done...quarter sawn oak cabinets, soapstone counter top, medium dark oak floors...we want subway back splash all around (except behind range top where we already have a stainless steel sheet)- but want to add a pencil, or other type of accent...would really appreciate pictures to help us figure this out. THANKS

Comments (19)

• athomedad
    16 years ago

Our cabinets are very lightly stained cherry, and because the slate floor had so much variation in color, I wanted a back splash that would compliment the color of the cabinets but still be neutral. While not entirely subway tile, I used 4x4 field tiles and three rows of 1/2 x 1/2 inch mosaic tiles so that the area under the new window sill would work out without needing to use half tiles or parts of tiles. I was very concerned it would make the entire back splash look out of balance.
    The back splash was (by far) the most agonizing decision I had to make.

Rich

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen pics

• birdienewro
    16 years ago

Rich--What a warm and beautiful kitchen! Will you please share the name of the maker of your subway tiles? Are they white/white or a shade of white? Thank you for the photos.
    I bet you inspired grannabelle.--Best, b

• Elaine Young
    16 years ago

Grannabelle - I hope the link to the pictures of our backsplash work. We combined subway tiles with a bottom row of square tiles and also included a row of subway tiles with a raised design. We put small medallions of metallic looking tiles with a matching "mural" behind the range. Hope this helps! -Elaine

Here is a link that might be useful: backsplash pics

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Rich, Your kitchen is beautiful. Love the tile and especially the special treatment behind the stove. Is that area difficult to maintain? We are also considering subway tile and it's great to see some examples thanks.
    Elaine, I couldn't access your pix?

• Elaine Young
    16 years ago

Okay, I am trying the link thing again - I think it is working this time. I have 2 pictures so I guess I have to post 2 messages, each with a link. Here goes.....this one is the backsplash behind the range.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

We have bone Subway Ceramics tiles around three sides of our kitchen.

• athomedad
    16 years ago

Birdienewro-

The tiles are by Sonoma Tilemakers. It's their Artisan series in a color called "Java". It's more beigy than off-white, and the tiles are hand made, so they don't look exactly the same. The tile "frame" around the mosaic tiles above the range are also Sonoma Tilemakers, as are the raised rosettes in the center. They make many different styles, colors and finishes.
    I ended up with larger grout lines than I originally wanted, so that we wouldn't have to use half tiles. I now think the larger grout lines help make the kitchen look more "old fashioned", which was the look I was going for.
    I also used "plugmold' outlets under the cabinets, so the back splash is visually uninterrupted by electrical outlets or switches.

vwhippiechick-

The area above the stove(and all of the back splash), are very easy to maintain. I'm not sure if it's because I don't cook things that end up splashing a lot(my cooking skills leave lots to be desired), or that I try to use the front burners as often as I can and splashes can't reach the back splash. I also think using the exhaust fan above the range helps keep things cleaner.

When my DW and I first started talking about redoing the kitchen, she left all the decisions up to me, and I think that helped make a very stressful process much more enjoyable. I was truly lucky to have such a supportive spouse!

Rich

• birdienewro
    16 years ago

Thank you for pix and info to Rich, Elaine114 and VJRNTS. This forum is wonderful.
    To Elaine114, who is the maker of your tiles?
    b

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

Ours are green - also from Sonoma

• Elaine Young
    16 years ago

Birdienewro - the metallic looking accent tiles (as well as the mural) in our backsplash are from American Olean, their Signature Classics line, Saxon Metals in bronze color. The porcelain subway tiles (including the listello and square tiles) are from Ceramiche Sadon, Murano line, in snow color. -Elaine

• lisa_sandiego
    16 years ago

This is hot off the presses.

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

OOooohhh that is a beautiful backsplash! Travertine? And the cabinet stain color is very nice, what is the stain called?

• lisa_sandiego
    16 years ago

Thanks. It's travertine. Emperado Light.
    The stain is as dark a chocolate as I could get the stainer to make. He stressed that the cherry grain needs to show. However, it does show dust in the crevices of the shaker style. I have since been turned on to the Swifter Duster. I can't believe I'm dusting a kitchen.

• katieb2007
    16 years ago

Grannabelle, could you post pictures of your quartersawn oak cabinets with soapstone, please? That is exactly the combination I want!

• c_beveridge_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

Lisa
    What are your countertops? Granite or Marble. I just love them.

• SSShayne
    12 years ago

RICH - your kitchen is gorgeous! Im sitting here agonizing over tiles to use for backsplash and floor - saw yours, and sent them off to our tile guy! I never would have picked the flooring, but seeing it in your kitchen - I just LOVE it!! We also have a dark green granite countertop, our cabinets are almost identical in design - except just a shade lighter.

Is slate more expensive than porcelin tiles? We are rapidly going over budget and want to try to save a little......

• CeCe123
    11 years ago

I, too, have made a backsplash error and am starting over.
    I'm thinking of subway tile in almond. Is matte or gloss the best. What color grout? The countertop is solid surface Desert Sand and the cabinets are just a regular stain. It is a small area. Thanks. CeCe123

• MrsShayne
    11 years ago

I went with Crossville's 4x8 porcelain tile. It reminds me of subway tile because of the shape but it's not glass. I love mine! I needed something very simple because our granite was so busy!

Here is a link that might be useful: installing our backsplash (DIY)