Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ootm_mom

KAW - breakfast...and later, tenderloin

OOTM_Mom
9 years ago

Breakfast! Loving my new range! That is 13" and 15" frypans, and a 9x13 baking pan filled with cheesy hash brown casserole. And a vent hood strong enough to suck out all the grease. Merry Christmas! I'll post the tenderloin, scalloped potatoes, asparagus...later, after a nap!

Comments (32)

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

MMMM Bacon!

Looks great! I should have photographed our tenderloin from last night. We normally use the Weber charcoal grill but since it rained for days, we used convection roast.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Looks awesome! I need to find a breakfast group or something. DH is not a morning eater. And I don't make anything fun and breakfast-y like cheesy-hashbrown casserole just for me. I keep saying we need to do more breakfast for dinner. This pic, with all that bacon, could do the trick.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Were also having tenderloin tonight! Looks fabulous, and yay for your appliances.

Gscience, that was very brave of you to change the heat source due to rain - I would have been afraid I'd ruin the meat.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Ooo, that does look inviting. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, always a hearty enough one that I eat a light lunch if at all and then a nice supper. The stove looks so streamlined and neat.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!
    Food and range!

I bake my bacon, less messy and easier clean up too. We had bacon and home made burger buns turned french toast.

Dinner will be NY Loin roast and a turkey breast. :)

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!
    Food and range!

I bake my bacon, less messy and easier clean up too. We had bacon and home made burger buns turned french toast.

Dinner will be NY Loin roast and a turkey breast. :)

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

SJhockeyfan, we got a dual-probe meat thermometer a couple of years ago, so we were sure to cook it to 145 degrees for medium-rare. I use the convection roast feature regularly for meats and poultry (Samsung induction range). We really do like using the indirect heat on the Weber for the tenderloin, though.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

We'll, I'm not the one cooking tonight - Ill let you you know how it goes for my friends, who make it every year. I've never paid attention to whether they roast it or barbecue!

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, as promised, more picts! And we LOVE bacon. As you can see. We get the house smoked apple cinnamon bacon from Whole Foods. Nothing better, and it doesnt taste like apples or cinnamon, just fabulous. I never could get it to cook up the same in an oven, so it's fry, poor off fat and fry again for us.

We used the gas oven to cook the roast, with a probe, set to 130. Cooked at 300, then removed and seared in my monster huge cast iron pan I just got off eBay, with grapeseed oil, and butter with rosemary and thyme. Rested for about 20 minutes.

The electric oven cooked all the pies (2 pumpkin, one lemon meringue) and finished the scalloped potatoes, and warmed the rolls. Grill cooked the garlic and olive oil asparagus.

Warming oven held plates and serving platters.

Now for the pictures!

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not such a pretty slicer...

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sauce, we have someone with an onion allergy visiting...I'm dying, I love onions, but no time to make to versions.

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Asparagus prepped for grill. Leave chopped garlic sitting in oile for a while to let it take on the garlic, then toss with asparagus.

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Scalloped potatoes before going in oven, and lemon meringue pie before getting browned.

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pumpkin pies.

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

On the table...and my goofy crew!

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OH! Can't forget this!! Coconut cake that is to die for...or 'divorce cake' is the running joke in our family! (It nearly caused two divorces one Christmas, long story)

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Okay all the food and family pictures are great...but that cake!!!! Awesome!

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My mother makes the cake. It tastes Amazing! So moist, not overly sweet, just right.

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Thanks for the Christmas meal tale! I enjoyed it. The food all looks delicious. I do hope you tell the Coconut Cake story sometime. What a tease!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    9 years ago

OOTM, Thank you for sharing your cooking experience! It looks like your Lacanche got a great workout yesterday and you had a wonderful meal! Can you please share the name/ color of your countertops? They are beautiful! Thanks again.

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, the counters are leathered marble, Fantasy Brown. The stoneyard called them quartzite, which they definitely are not. The fabricator and my tests say its a marble. They survived just fine, even with juicing and zesting lemons for the lemon meringue pie. I love them!

Here is the divorce cake story...you may be sorry you asked, no doubt more than you really want to know about me!

Everyone knows how much I love this cake. One Christmas, my Mom asked my DH about taking the cake holder back to her house, and he said yes. It is a tupperware cake transporter that she works very hard to keep track of as they dont make them anymore. There is a full on blizzard outside. And around here, that means the world is ending and people are idiots. But my parents are from where driving in a blizzard is not a big deal, so they packed up and headed home. With about 1/4 of the cake still in the cake carrier. It was 6:30 at night. Around 7, things had settled down and I went to the fridge to get a piece of cake and relax for the evening. (I dont typically handle the holidays very well, it is super stressful for me, and this cake I was looking forward to was like a small refuge of perfection to enjoy and temporarily forget everything I find to worry about.) This cake has been on my mind, I'm really looking forward to it. WHERE IS THE CAKE!!! I was not aware of the wheeling and dealing and didnt know it was on its way to the parents house, about 1:20 away in good weather and no traffic. I'm on the phone insisting they turn around and bring back the cake. My Dad says I'm crazy, they are not turning around in the storm to bring back 1/4 of a cake. My Mom is trying to convince him to turn around. My DH also thinks I'm crazy. I am in an all out frenzy over this cake. DH (who does NOT know how to drive in a blizzard very well), gets in car and drives all the way to parents house, gets cake and brings it home. I eat it. My Dad thinks Mom, me, and DH are crazy. DH really just wanted to get away from me and my fit throwing, so the blizzard seemed like a good option! Hence the divorce cake. It nearly caused two divorces. (So the joke goes.) And it was banned from coming to my house for a while, and everytime it shows up, we remember that lovely night.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

marinate the tenderloin in buttermilk, and then coat it an fry it ⦠I'm talking breaded tenderloins here, then pounded out flat 3/4 inch slab of pork loin into about 1/8 inch fillets.

Made a whole loin yesterday. Popped the marinated beast in the (ewwwww) crock pot and let it go all day. The gallery certainly didn't care. No leftovers (Gee I usually feed two dozen people, this filled 10)

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

That is hysterical. Were you expecting one of those boys in 9 months? What a wonderful husband you have! I love coconut cake. Mmmm.

• antiquesilver
    9 years ago

That cake looks heavenly (coconut is my fav) & no doubt worth a trek in the snow. And I have one of those old Tupperware cake carriers, too - huge, absolutely perfect for the job, & a keeper at all costs! I recognized it even before I read the 'divorce' story.

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha Onedogedie, I only wish I had the pregnancy hormones to blame! Thankfully I dont get that crazy often.

I am enjoying a slice of that cake right now!

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

as im reading your cake story, i can so see myself as you!!

i would so do that over cake. our cake for Christmas Eve is always red velvet, which i make and love....
    i would make DH drive to Anytown USA to get it if it somehow left my clutches at the end of the evening...!!!!

Now i don't know about anyone else, but i need that cake recipe ASAP!!! (if you share ???...hopefully!!!)

TIA!!

food looked yummy too!!!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Lovely meal. Great story - which is making me get out of bed & go get a piece of Caramel Cake. Excellent cake but now wish it was a piece of that luscious looking Coconut Cake.

This post was edited by romy718 on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 23:36

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, finally got Mom to write it down, hope you can read it! The sitting in fridge for four days is key, everything soaks into layers. And she doesnt like trying to cut layers in half to get four layers, so she just makes four thinner cakes.

I put the last two pieces in freezer to save for a cake emergency! (One of my kids tried to convince me he was having a cake emergency, lol)

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Old cake is the best! Wish I had a piece for breakfast right now. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

fabulous and delicious and lovely is the food---and your kitchen. Your choices and smarts have made a gorgeous, efficient, productive place.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Wowza. I love it when folks who buy the amazing appliances actually USE them. What a wonderful meal, and what a lucky family!

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

OOTM, thanks so much for sharing the recipe!!!