Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

Neat stuff at the stoneyard

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Hi everyone. I meant to share some new things, or at least new to me, that I saw at the stoneyard yesterday. The real standout was a leathered quartzite called black fantasy. It's wildly expensive, but one of the most beautiful stones I've ever seen. I couldn't manage to get a photo that really captured it.

Comments (14)

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought this unusual stone would look great in a contemporary southwest style kitchen. There were these luminous green crystals in it. Really striking.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The colors in this stone were amazing! I might tire of it, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who wouldn't and I couldn't blame them. It would be great in an Art Deco house.

• raenjapan
    9 years ago

Very cool. I love the "art deco" stone. That turquoise is awesome.

• dancergirl3
    9 years ago

Just curious, how much was the Black Fantasy?

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dancergirl3, I couldn't tell you exactly because the stone yard makes you get a quote from a fabricator. However, my quartzite was a price level 12 or 13 out of 21 (I think) which turned out to be $100 per square foot. The Black Fantasy is a price level 18, so that will give you an idea. If I had a smaller kitchen, though I would strongly consider it. It's irresistibly beautiful in person.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

black fantasy = Gorgeous/Stunning/Fabulous!!!

i can only imagine it probably looks even more so in person!!!!

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seriously it's a thousand times prettier in person. It is beautiful but not at all showy. It doesn't call attention to itself- just dwells in the stillness of mineral perfection- LOL. The black is blacker, there's a subtle shimmer like a dusting of snow, and yet the whole effect is somehow more subtle than the photo. I know that makes no sense. Trust, it's sublime.

• gone_south
    9 years ago

Love seening these, wish I could see the black fantasy in person. I don't know why leathering isn't done more than it is. I agonized over the decision before leatheing our Black and Gold Marinace countertop, and we are thrilled with the results. Gets rid of the glare, keeps all the color (whereas honing dulls the color intensity) and gives a wonderful tactile texture.

What did you choose for your counter?

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, gone_south. I've got white macaubas (pic of my slab below). Still looking for the perfect soapstone to go with it!

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a pic of my favorite vein :-)

• gone_south
    9 years ago

Love seening these, wish I could see the black fantasy in person. I don't know why leathering isn't done more than it is. I agonized over the decision before leatheing our Black and Gold Marinace countertop, and we are thrilled with the results. Gets rid of the glare, keeps all the color (whereas honing dulls the color intensity) and gives a wonderful tactile texture.

What did you choose for your counter?

• gone_south
    9 years ago

Love seeing the fissures across the grain.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Jealous, so jealous.... :)

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aww thanks, oldbat2be!