Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
htracey_gw

OT: Restoration Hardware sofa quality?

htracey
11 years ago

I'm thinking of using the 20% off sale on a sofa from RH (the Sorensen Sofa for anyone firmiliar with it). Does anybody have any experience with their furntiure? Am I overpaying for the brand or are does the quality reflect the pricepoint?

Are they reselling a sofa that is made by someone else that I could get for a little better price elseware?

Comments (6)

• lolauren
    11 years ago

As far as I know, most (if not all) of their furniture is manufactured in China these days. If you can get to a RH Outlet, you can see what some of the furniture is like.

Since it's made in China, you won't be able to find the exact pieces. Additionally, people have been disappointed with their quality control since outsourcing manufacturing.

With all that said, I did order my (martine) dining chairs from RH. There were some flaws in the seams and in various places. It was nothing terrible, but it was enough for me to be annoyed that there were flaws at that price point.

PS. It seems they have constantly had 20% off sales this year. Don't feel rushed to make your decision immediately.

This post was edited by lolauren on Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 11:41

• lolauren
    11 years ago

This one is similar, although it doesn't have as low of a profile: C&B Brooks Sofa

C&B uses some decent/good manufacturers (Lee, Hancock & Moore, etc.) so potentially you could hunt down a similar one at a different price point. If you call a C&B store, they should be able to tell you the manufacturer on each piece.

• User
    11 years ago

Try a google search, there are varying forums that have very detailed posts on furniture quality and comparisons. I had considered a RH sofa as well and found tons of info that was very helpful as well as other companies to try.

• gidgetgirly
    11 years ago

I bought an RH sofa a few months ago. I really wanted the down cushions but the sales people talked me out of it. They said the down is messy and you constantly have to refluff it. They swore the standard cushions were just as soft. Stupidly, I got the standard. They're hard as a rock.

I don't mind fluffing down every day. My throw pillows are down and I fluff them without a thought. I should've listened to my gut instinct, now I'm stuck with a rock hard sofa. I'm not allowed to exchange my cushions, even offering to pay to ship the standards back, pay for the shipping of down filled, and of course pay for the upgrade charge of the down. They consider my sofa 'custom' because I got a different slipcover than the standard sand linen. So no returns.

I love the way my sofa looks, but I hate sitting on it. What a disappointment.

If you order a sofa don't get standard cushions unless you like rock hard support. If you get the down, be prepared to fluff every day. Im looking into having another company make custom down blend cushions for me, it makes me sick to spend even more money than if I had just listened to my gut.

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

If made in the USA is important to you (it is to me!), allow me to plug Room and Board. Most of their furniture is made here and with that comes the advantage of customization. We have their Jasper sofa and love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Room and Board sofas