Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Polishing Caesarstone Counters?

Posted by Grabbit (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 9:28

So recently I had a a new vanity top cut and installed in my master bathroom made of a Ceasarstone remnant. The install went fine and the edge is nice and shiny but the tops seems dull compared to the polished edge. I tried a 3000 grit wet/dry polishing pad on my angle grinder in an inconspicuous spot under where the sink will go. It didn't come out so well, in fact it left some brownish burn marks.

Has anyone here polished their Ceasarstone counters successfully? If so how did you do it and what did you use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Polishing Caesarstone Counters?

FYI, this is what google says they should look like...

o

Caesarstone has a low sheen, not a shine like granite. It is more reflective where light hits it. It's acrylic and quartz, not quartz, which is why it burned. You'll scratch the acrylic using abrasives before you'll get a shine on it.

My installer dulled two small spots on my Caesarstone with Barkeeper's Friend while trying to clean off the epoxy. He wanted to attempt to buff out the spots. He took a 5 hour class from Caesarstone. After 2 1/2 hours of buffing with various Caesarstone-approved polishing pastes and pads, it only dulled a wider area of the countertop. We got a new countertop.

o

You have the honed version, not the polished. You absolutely CAN NOT polish it. Pros can't even really polish a top, only the small edges, and only with the right equipment. It has to come from the factory polished.

o

Allow me to respectfully disagree with lwo. Estone can be top polished, the only system that I know of is Steve's Polishing Pro System. I could link to other stone restorer's websites with pictures to prove, but I don't want to run into advertising problems here.

o

I understand the difference between the honed and polished slabs. I guess my question is.... If I have the honed version, how was the edge polished to a brighter sheen than honed and why can't I do the same for the top?

o

Grabbit:

You can match the honed and polished version on the top, but you're going to have to invest in Steve's Polishing Pro System and practice. It's not considered a DIY project generally.

o

I agree with Trebruchet -but working with estone can be unpredictable. Lighter colors are easier than darker colors.
I don't consider this to be a diy project as this can be easily turned into an epic adventure.
Testing is needed and it would be in your best interest to hire someone who has a lot of experience with honing and polishing estone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here