Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelly_k_gw

How many shelves in your 36 inch cabinets?

shelly_k
14 years ago

Did any of you get an extra shelf from your cabinet maker for your 36 inch upper cabinets? Just wondering... I have 2 shelves in my 30 inch cabinets now, wondering if a third shelf might be helpful in a 36 inch cabinet.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, so you have 4 shelves? You don't happen to have any pics, do you? Thanks for your input!

• donka
    14 years ago

I have 3 shelves in 39" cabinets. It's perfect for glassware and dishes etc., but they're evenly spaced and none is tall enough for a large vase. They're glass front cabinets though so I'll be keeping them spaced as is. I just moved taller items to other cabinets.

• User
    14 years ago

I always suggest extra shelf packs for tall cabinets, and sometimes even for "regular" 30" cabinets. It's not the height of the cabinets that limits most people in storage, it's the amount of shelf space. More is almost always better! No sense crowding mugs on top of each other, put them all on their own shelf. Same thing for all that plastic that gets so easily disorganized. Give each style it's own shelf. Organize your spice with shelves for "sweet" and "savory". Put those plastic cereal bowls on a shallow shelf right above the cereal that fits into the cabinet just right because your shelves are adjustible. Etc.

• User
    14 years ago

I have 4 shelves in my 36" cabinets. Since they are adjustable I can easily remove one if I need extra headroom. Given the option, I'd recommend getting the extra shelves for the cabinets. Good luck with your remodel.

• Fori
    14 years ago

I have 3 plus the bottom, like Momj's. I wanted them on my extra wide cabinet so I could skip the stile in the middle (my cabinet maker didn't want the shelves to sag so I said gimme an extra shelf and I promise to spread the weight). Surprise--they all came with extra shelves. I'm not getting much use out of them because I'm so darn short, and I need to remove one somewhere for a few tall items.

But I like the flexibility.

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! I will definitely get at least 1 extra shelf in all my uppers!

• judydel
    14 years ago

Late to the party, I thought I'd chime in that I have three shelves plus the bottom in our 40" tall cabinets. These cabinets are only 14" above the counters instead of the usual 18". I insisted on doing this and I'm glad I did against my SIL's advice because it makes it easier to reach the shelves (I'm only 5'3") and also gives me extra room.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I also ordered an extra shelf for each 36" tall cabinet...and now I'm able to have various heights for storage.