Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Wood backsplash

nosoccermom
9 years ago

I like it. The question is whether water lox or similar product is enough to protect against water. On the other hand, they do that in European kitchens, too.

Also, kind of interesting: The MW. It looks like a window.
from thekitchn.com

Here is a link that might be useful: wood plank BS --- one more pic

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Sat, Dec 13, 14 at 9:04

Comments (18)

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

i like it... The backsplash looks like it was made from leftover flooring used elsewhere in the house...and obviously site-finished with something oily. (You can see a big boo-boo run mark of the finish in one of the close-ups--to the right side of the faucet next to an outlet.) Not sure what the wood is--there are so many exotics available now--but it looks like an oily wood to start with, so probably something water-resistant to start with.

(Upside is that if & when the area around the sink starts looking ratty, it can always be sanded & recoated.)

Another thing I Iike is the trend towards thinner counters as seen on the sink wall. I've always thought that the built up counter edges looked heavy and clunky. But I grew up in a house with 'retro' laminate countertops--3/4'' with metal edgebanding--so that prolly explains my 'vision'. :)

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

ci_lantro, I like that, too. Couldn't figure out what it was, but it's the thinner look. Very sleek.

I would think that's probably something oily, too. That could be corrected (hint hint to the kitchen owner!) It really looks like they slapped the sealer on and just plain missed a swath. Shoot. Even I know to turn a light on and look at things a bit sideways to see where I've missed or overloaded!

I'm using something different these days to seal wood. I'm liking the raw wood look, so didn't want to darken or yellow things with -urethane products. I love polyacrylic, but find glass condensation will leave rings after all.
    I'm using paint BASE. Exterior (for durability) latex dark (4 or 5) paint base. It goes on white but dries absolutely invisible. I've been testing it for water resistance, given its exterior properties and so far, I love it.

So that doesn't answer this question above, but it is what I'm going to do with my butcherblock, drawers and doors finished and continue to build.

• practigal
    9 years ago

To me it looks like the cedar panels they put in closets and is completely NOT in keeping with the modern design of the rest of the kitchen and does it no favors....

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hm, I actually very much like the contrast of the high gloss white cabinets with the rustic/warm wood.
    That and the thin counters (quartz or thin ceramic) are new (and old) trends in Europe.
    Actually, I htink it's Siematic that offers backpanels that look very much like wood.

{{gwi:2141126}}

Or this :)

{{gwi:2141127}}

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

Practigal, IMO, the wall works when you see it in context with the rest of the house.

But I gotta' say that the photos of the house are soooo staged that it makes my teeth ache!

Here is a link that might be useful: Primitive Modern House Tour

• zeebee
    9 years ago

Pretty! I always like wood somewhere in the kitchen - stained cabinets, floor, butcherblock, wherever - for sound dampening and also to add warmth. That kitchen is pretty modern-functional to my eyes and the wood brings some earthiness and comfort.

• jdez
    9 years ago

I used the cedar planks that are used in closets for my backsplash but I painted them. I have found them to be very easy to clean and pretty water resistant. If they used a glossy polyurethane it is probably the same.

Edited my bad spelling.

This post was edited by JDez on Sat, Dec 13, 14 at 13:45

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

JDez, great idea! I wonder if that stikwood would work, although it defeats the purpose as it's so expensive

{{gwi:2141128}}

Or what about wine crates????

{{gwi:2141129}}

• sochi
    9 years ago

I like it too. I'm certain it would be fine with Waterlox. I have wood counters in my master bath, I'm sure they get more drips that a backsplash would. It just needs treating.

I also have wood (ipe) on my shower floors, so I'm all for mixing wood and water.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I think it works in the first photo because it's the only contrast and wood in the room. It does add warmth and the space would look pretty dull with white there, because there's no natural light. I probably wouldn't have gone that dark.

A good finish for a backsplash treatment would be Rubio Monocoat (Part A only). It's low VOC and designed for flooring so pretty durable/resistant. It's also food safe and if it needs refreshing there's no need to sand first. It comes in lots of colours. I found that 5% White was a finish that absolutely didn't change the colour of the wood at all.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Just do wood look tile and don't sweat any of the wood moisture issues.

• dan1888
    9 years ago

This flooring is finished with hard-wax oil and heat.
    You could use it or their oil-wax on your own wood. There is little problems with sealed wood as a backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Du Chateau hard-wax oil wood

• steph2000
    9 years ago

I like this look, too...

I know folks are focusing on the water/cleanability aspect, but what I would worry more about is the fire risk on a range wall?

I'm considering doing something like this on a hall wall I have that will jut out a bit and adjoin the peninsula, making a little nook for the range area of the kitchen. My primary problem is I go back and forth now about what is too much wood and keep wanting to add more wood (floor, lower cabinets, fridge cabinet, now this?) but I don't want a house that looks wood heavy in the end. I've even thought of doing something like this on the back of the cabinets where the peninsula/seating is going to be instead of going with 2-toned cabinets with stained lowers and white uppers - just to make it more durable down there where feet are going to be.

It's like a game of roulette at this point...where the balls stop, nobody knows. Taking bets.

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

I love that look. I imagine that it would last for quite some time if the installation is well done.
    Diane

• Fori
    9 years ago

Haha I love the stacked logs backsplash. It's just so...absurd.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I love 'em ! Thank goodness I'm way beyond that stage. Seeing those would have caused me to re-decide my kitchen products/looks.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I really like it!!! Though not with the white microwave :-)

• andyscott
    9 years ago

Maybe you could consider using woodgrain laminate flooring as backsplash - that's what one of my friends has with their white cabinets and it looks great!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars150 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource