Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aries61

Upper Wall Symmetry or not?

aries61
9 years ago

I like symmetry and ran into a slight problem that I linked below. A few commented maybe to do a blind corner which throws out the symmetry of the upper cabinets. I've posted pictures of both below and looking for feedback if I should lose the symmetry or not. The E-Z pictures are the ones that have it. They're going to be beaded inset and the pictures show full overlay.

What would you do in my situation?

{{gwi:2141120}}

{{gwi:2141121}}

{{gwi:2141122}}

{{gwi:2141123}}

Thanks for your comments and input.

Here is a link that might be useful: EZ Reach upper corner dilemma - What would you do?

Comments (7)

• kompy
    9 years ago

I'm confused. Are you saying the EZ reach wall has more symmetry? I prefer the blind option. I don't like the small 12" door next to the 18" door.

I'm recently working on a kitchen for a client. We went with a blind corner right of window, then a small bookcase....then her symmetrical cabinets.

Here's a picture of it from my design software.....the base also has a blind corner with a Hafele Lemans Arena II accessory.

• kompy
    9 years ago

For those of you aren't familiar with the Hafele Lemans unit, here is a Houzz ideabook showing several installed. They are nice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hafele Lemans Arena II Blind Base Corner Accessory

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

What size blind are you using? Whatever it is, it's the wrong size if it doesn't give you symmetry for the cabinets flanking the range and sink. Corner symmetry by itself is overrated. Symmetry around each focal point is easy with the right sized blind corner.

• kompy
    9 years ago

Keep in mind, you won't need such a large fill space in the blind corner when using inset cabinetry....so that changes the look as well. And if the wall cabinets are deeper due to being inset (and they should be!), then you need to take that in to consideration as well in doing the math. Yes, kitchen designers really need good math skills!

For instance, if you have 45" to work with on that wall, and your 30" range has a 60" center....do the math.

Take 60" less 18" (half of 36" range hood), less 13" (depth of wall cabinet on Ext. wall), leaves you with a 29" wide frontage for the cabinet to the left of hood. If the wall cabinet to the right of the hood is 18, you will have a 15" door.

So with a 29" wide frontage, subtract the rails, you get two butt doors that are 13" wide each. And a 15" wide door on the right side.

If you like the bookcase idea, then see if your cabinet company can make that as ONE cabinet: take 29" subtract 3-1.5" wide rails, then subtract 15" door and that leaves you with a small bookcase with a 9.5" wide opening. You could even make the left rail smaller and have a 10" wide opening there. You don't need clearance for a bookcase. However, if you want symmetry...then keep it at 1.5" wide to match the rail on the perpendicular cabinet.

Hope this makes sense. Kompy

• ardcp
    9 years ago

imo you, like me, do not have an abundance of cabinets. the ez reach corner allows me better access to the top corner with a super susan as a base. i thought about a blind cabinet but couldn't bear to block off any possible storage space. i use the ez reach daily and all but the very top shelf is easily accessible and that is because i am short and the cabs are 39" tall:)
    i found the ez reach slightly awkward at first but now love it. i chose more storage over symmetry and do not regret it.
    of course i love my super susan so maybe i am old school on the corners:)

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe if I post some cabinet dims that will help out.
    Here we go:On the sink wall, upper cabinets widths to the left are 27" & 18" on either design. To the right on the sink wall with the E-Z wall, uppers are 17.5" & 27"x24" asymmetrical E-Z pulled out 1" from the wall. On the range wall, upper cabinet to the right of the range is 18" on either design. Upper cabinet to the left of the range is 17" in the E-Z corner. In the blind corner design, the upper cabinet right to the sink is 32.25" and the cabinet left of the range on the range wall is a 41" blind corner.

Also posting a blank layout with dims.

I'll answer the previous posts when I have time later. Been crazy at work today.

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I didn't respond to the individual responses yesterday, but long day at work and got home late, ate dinner then went to bed.

Kompy, with regards to your first posting, I was just looking at the cabinets on either side of the window and range hood with the E-Z corner when I said symmetry. I didn't think of the e-z corner door sizes. I actually agree with you with regards to it looks strange with a 12" next to an 18" on the range wall. The e-z is an asymmetrical with a 27" leg on the window wall.

Your clients kitchen looks similar in size to my kitchen.

hollysprings, using a 41-42" blind corner on the range wall.

Kompy, with regards to your second posting, I'm using 13.5" deep uppers.

You are correct with your dims and math on the left size of the range wall. I have 42" from the corner to the range hood on the right. If I do the math, 42" - 13.5" = 28.5" which gives me butt doors that are 12.75" wide.

I didn't think about doing the blind corner on the sink wall. If I do the math, I have 45.75" to the right of the window - 13.5" depth of cabinet on range wall which would give 32.25" which gives me 16.125" butt doors with a 15" wide door directly to the left of the sink. I do have a little more space on the sink wall for the uppers(about 1.5" on either side of the window), but currently have them butted against the window casing and don't like it that is why I'm holding them off the casing by a bit.

Sorry, the bookcase isn't me style, but a great idea for someone. If I use the blind corner instead of the E-Z, I lose a little of usable space, but gain larger cabinets.

Kompy you totally made sense. Thanks for making me look differently at the blind vs e-z corner situation. It appreciated.

ardcp, I don't have abundance of cabinets like you. I'm learning that everybody situation is different and you have to go with what works best for you.

Thanks again for everyone feedback and suggestions. Still open to other comments and feedback. Always can learn something new from this site especially the kitchen forum.