Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivertwistkitchen

Trash pullout question

olivertwistkitchen
11 years ago

We are relocating the double trash pullout next to the sink in our Reno. I thought it would be a good idea to hang a dishtowel off this pullout, because then I would have a dishtowel right next to the sink.

However, there is a drawer above the trash pullout, so a towel there would dangle in the garbage. If I hang it lower, on the trash pullout itself, it would be a little too low than comfortable. I have seen pullouts where there is no drawer on top, but the bins are still low down and it's just wasted space above.

Would it look weird to relocate the drawer to UNDERNEATH the trash pullout?

Is there an extra tall waste bin pullout? Maybe if extra tall I could still have a double pullout and use the whole vertical space but still have room behind them both for trash bags but still not lose volume of trash containers?

Thanks.

Comments (11)

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

Have you considered a full cabinet pullout door, with a rollout located where the upper drawer would normally go?

See annkathryn's pic in the link below - date/timestamp 10-Dec 21:47(though she as 2 rollouts). Badgergal's pic also shows the full-height drawer on a sink base.

HTH,
    tmy

Here is a link that might be useful: Trash pullout link

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What Badgergal has it what I meant I didn't want to do. I feel like that's just wasted space on top.

Annkathrhyn's isn't the real pull out (with outer door attached) that I was looking for, and the trash cans are too small for our needs.

I am looking for a full cabinet pullout, but what I have now is that the lower portion only pulls out, there is still a drawer on top. The picture attached (Rev-a-Shelf) is what I currently have, and still want the same basic set-up. Just wondering if there would be a way to "raise" it up and relocate the upper drawer to underneath, or have extra tall cans so that there isn't "wasted" space.

• User
    11 years ago

What would work for you is a full height door for the pullout with an interior drawer to hold the box of trash bags and maybe some other flotsam too.

But, I wouldn't want a dish towel hanging on any door that contained trash unless I had a foot pedal to operate it. You'll be changing that towel out a gazillion times or else you'll be spreading a lot more germs around the kitchen when the chicken hands grab the towel on the hanger to open the trash to throw away the packaging, and then the next user just wants to dry their hands from where they washed the carrots and then chop them up.

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

I don't see your pic, but maybe the full-height, double 50-Qt Rev-A-Shelf option like in the link below?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rev-A-Shelf 50Qt

• taggie
    11 years ago

We did something similar to what you're thinking because we wanted to line the top of the recycle cabinet with the top of the trash compactor beside it so having the drawer inside gave us the exterior look we wanted:

We use the inside drawer for paper recycling and it's turned out great. We don't have to separate recyclables for collection but between newspapers, junk mail, cardboard packaging, etc., a surprising amount of paper recycling adds up quickly. Having the flat drawer space to keep that in means we aren't constantly emptying the bins. We use the front bin for compost (green bin), the back bin for glass and plastics, and the drawer for papers. Love it.

I do agree with hollysprings that a towel on the trash bin isn't ideal though, with dirty hands touching it to open trash. Have you considered sink tilt outs or even just fake drawer handled at your sink? I hang my hand towel from that and it works well:

Finally, I just noticed that tashamh2's kitchen has an ikea deep drawer trash pullout that has the full height exterior too. You should check out her reveal thread. I'll link it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: tashamh2's finished kitchen

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hollysprings, so you mean an interior drawer on top that rolls out? Don't you think things inside would get icky?

Do you mean something like in the attached photo from tashamh2's brand new kitchen?

If it was a separate drawer, I would put utensils or something in it, but if it were part of it, it would have to be something else. Doubt I could fit a giant box of garbage bags.

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Taggie - funny, we both thought of tashamh2's kitchen at the same time! And that's an interesting idea to put the paper recycling there!

I only need the double - paper recycling will be over by the command center where we generate the paper (although I like your set-up putting it over the trash!!), and compost will be a pail set in the counter just to the left of the trash pull out. Actually, I'd love to put them in line with each other, but it hangs down 12inches deep, so the trash cans won't clear that space! Would need very short trash cans and then the volume would be too small.

I'm not too worried about the ick factor. If I'm preparing chicken, I think I'll just have the trash can open til I'm done, like I do now. I thought of attaching it right at the sink on the tilt out, but I read somewhere that then you're leaning on a rod and a wet towel all the time. (I'd need a bigger handle I think for the big dishtowel).

• taggie
    11 years ago

I thought of attaching it right at the sink on the tilt out, but I read somewhere that then you're leaning on a rod and a wet towel all the time.

I read that too. But it's definitely not true.

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So no wet tummy?

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I wouldn't keep anything in the ROT over the trash bins that had anything to do with food or dishes. But along with a spare box or 2 of bags you could keep a spare flashlight w/extra batteries and some in house tools like a small hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, tape measure etc.

• springroz
    11 years ago

I don't see any reason why you couldn't buy deeper cans to go in your pullout.....I had to buy shallower ones to go in mine!!

I also think a drawer underneath would work, since some put drawers in the toe kick!

Nancy