Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning Waterlox Countertop

Posted by 2LittleFishies (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 9:00

Waterlox suggest either their cleaner, mild soap and water, or a mixture of vinegar and water in spray bottle...

For my marble, I'm doing a spray bottle of either water and soap or as some suggested rubbing alcohol and water with maybe some lavender oil.

Just wondering if alcohol mixture would also work for the waterloxed island top so I can just have one clean up bottle for everything...

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterlox Cleaning

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning Waterlox Countertop

The response from waterlox regarding alcohol/water mixture:

"No, I would not recommend that cleaning regimen. You could try our
cleaner which mimics white vinegar and water..."

o

Alcohol dissolves some finishes so I wouldn't use it on the Waterlox, I'd use the vinegar/water and mix it up at home (since they say their cleaner 'mimics' it).

o

Doesn't it smell though?

o

My vinegar/water cleaner (aka squirt bottle from beauty supply shop that I fill up about 1/5 of the way with white vinegar and the rest with water) has a very minor scent that dissipates after about 5-10 minutes. I use it on every kitchen surface since it's a natural disinfectant. It's what my wood countertop manufacturer recommended for their waterloxed wood counter tops, too.

Alcohol will remove sharpie (permanent marker) from a wood countertop that's been waterloxed, so it's OK to use it once or twice without needing a refinish, but definitely don't use alcohol on it as a cleaning agent. There's a thread i will find and post on here once i can find it that shows what alcohol does to waterloxed wood.

(The wood manufacturers recommendations are in the "technical help page" under "Daily maintenance" - I included the link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: www.craft-art.com/tech - see daily maintenance

o

Thanks, Beastbaby! If I go that route maybe I'll just use that for the marble as well... Do you think putting a little lavender oil in it would hurt? I'll start simplel though : )

o

Vinegar is a really good deodorant so as its own smell evaporated it also takes any other scent nearby with it. :)

o

Whoa. Wait. You can't use vinegar on marble. It also dissolves/etches marble. I assume you know that, but I'd hate for it to cause confusion. My marble floors in my old house were destroyed (or as I preferred to think of it, made vintage) when the tile setter used vinegar to clean the grout haze off the tiles.

o

One caution on lavendar oil.. It is an endocrine disrupter like Soy.. I would avoid it especially if you have young girls and women with any family history of hormonal issues, cancers etc. We were advised this explicitly by our pediatrician.

o

grlwprls- Yes! Sorry, I had a momentary lapse.

lalitha- Thanks for that info! ; )

o

Lalitha--Wow! I've never heard that before. With the Lynch syndrome and so many associated cancers running through my Dad's side of the family, that's very useful info. Lots of female cancers, colon, and pancreatic cancer thought the generations. There are lots of lovely essential oils out there besides lavender from which to choose, fortunately. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here