Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kala_n

Adding onto existing kitchen cabinets

kala_n
9 years ago

I am probably going down a slippery slope here. My kitchen was redone by the previous owners in 1999. I have a trash compactor that is no longer working and I dont need it. I was thinking of removing it and adding a new cabinet and adding a couple more cabinets.

Is it at all possible to match existing cabinets? I think they are MDF cabinets. Can a custom cabinet maker match them or simply not worth it? I have attached a pic of the current one

thanks

Comments (14)

• Liz
    9 years ago

That is what i am doing, though my new cabs are all going on the end of runs - not btwn existing cabinets. I'm refacing all my cabinets (existing and new) to make them match.

In some of my existing cabinets, I wanted drawers instead of shelves. I used Blum metabox units to put those in. That may save you from having to pull out cabinets btwn other cabinets.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

The aesthetics of the doors will be the challenge.

You can look on line as well as send a dimensioned picture of the door and drawer fronts to the numerous door suppliers, and or bag-n-box cabinet co. in an attempt to find a match or similar style.

Or, since a local cabinet shop can provide the cabinets, they may be familiar with the door and drawer style, and if they are available.

• annac54
    9 years ago

We removed some cabinets, and had new ones made in a different configuration, added a cabinet to the end of a run, and changed lower cabinets into drawer stacks. We were able to do this because we changed all the door and drawer fronts and had the existing cabinets refinished.

A custom cabinet maker should be able to build them for you, but getting the doors and finish right will be your big issue. I would at least get someone out to discuss it and give you a quote so you can get an idea and decide if it's worth pursuing or not.

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

Would you want to put open shelves where the trash compactor was? You could find baskets to fit the shelves to work as pull outs.

If the cabinets that you want to add to the existing cabinets are at the end of a run, maybe you could do something complimentary rather than trying to do an exact match. Perhaps a hutch?

• caseykees
    9 years ago

I moved our fridge and bought cabinets at Habitat Rehome store, and once I am all finished painting, I don't think you will notice they are different or weren't there before. BUT, I changed out all my cabinet doors and ordered new doors for the new cabinets too and then painted them. I didn't have to match doors.

• jdesign_gw
    9 years ago

If you remove the over done (and ugly IMO) build-up in the center panel you will have close to a Christopher Peacock quarter round detail door. Looks to me that it is all planted on so it can be removed. Sand, fill and paint existing and someone should be able to match for new doors.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

We removed our tran compactor and added a trash pullout in its place. I was able to steal a cupboard door from above my ovens to use on the trash pullout, leaving that cupboard open for the microwave. Can you take a door from another spot?

• Mike121
    9 years ago

Yes, ideally for me an ivory coloured cabinet will match perfectly with it. For me custom cabinet will cost you a fortune. Keep it simple and sleek to give you more space and give an uncluttered look.

• itsthedetails
    9 years ago

The under cabinet beverage refrigerator that we installed in our kitchen is the same size as the trash compactor, and it advertises for replacement of trash compactors.

• kala_n
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I took my door to the local kitchen cabinet store and the closest one that they would recommend to the color and style was the Plain & Fancy cabinets. I think thats on the high end price wise though. There is no name on the inside of the drawers or the doors, so no clue as to the manufacturer.

thanks for all the ideas

• szruns
    9 years ago

I'd probably be inclined to add shelving or other "specialty cabinets" like the X-shaped wine (or towel!) racks, etc. It probably wouldn't be TOO hard to find a paint color close enough to match fairly well, but matching the shape/style of the door seems a big challenge. If the spaces you can add extra cabinets don't lend themselves to open shelves or wine racks/cubbies/etc . . . perhaps you could MOVE a current cabinet to a new place and then place the open shelves/wine rack/whatever in the old cabinet's spot(s)?

• Jeanna Bauer
    6 years ago

I put in all new cabinets 7 years ago and have been told that the company no longer makes that style. Sheesh! I want to add a pantry (I couldn't afford it at the time) to a different area of the kitchen. It was suggested to me that I just choose a color to paint them and have them painted by the company to compliment rather than match though I can't figure if that will look ok. I'm usually pretty eclectic when I decorate and not that fussy about matching, but just still......Any suggestions? The current ones are oak. The area I'm wanting to do would be the 3rd wall not touching existing cabinets.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

A local cabinet maker should be able to copy what you have.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County