Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rchicago

Wood and laminate kitchen in progress

RChicago
9 years ago

Well, the end is finally in sight. Let me modify that -- having a kitchen again seems like something that may actually happen.

We made the mistake of demoing right after Labor Day -- before the kitchen plans were finalized and could not conceive that things would take so long. Hopefully, others can learn from this mistake! We were so anxious to get moving and there were so many things that needed to get done in the space that we jumped the gun.

Caninets should be installed in 2-3 weeks. Then the soapstone will take another 2-4 weeks depending on their schedule. After that, appliances, electrical, and plumbing should move quickly.

We've had a stellar experience with all the trades -- except the cabinetmaker. I'm hoping the end product will be amazing, and only wish they'd been clearer about their process and timeline.

I visited our cabinets for the first time, and thought I'd share a few photos. We plan to stay in this house for at least 20 years, so we picked what turns us on, with no concern for resale. Our kitchen will be quartersawn vertical book matched walnut veneer and Abet blue laminate.

I'm going to try to add some photos below. I'm on my phone, so it looks like only one at a time. The first photo is of part of the cooktop wall, with the uppers sitting right on the lowers. Thanks to GW, our uppers will be extra deep. The 42" hood tapers to 12", so the cabinet above will also be 12" deep. The deep drawers all have upgraded Blum hardware in case my kid decides to climb into them. The wood you're seeing in the forefront will be up against a wall, so not visible. Oh, and things are still in process, so if anyone notices anything horrible, please let me know!

Comments (7)