Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielle00_gw

marble in maryland... and a soapstone question

danielle00
15 years ago

I've been to several fabricators and called several suppliers-- NONE will sell me marble for my kitchen. They said it chips (one actually said chunks of it fall off). I'm wondering what kind of marble they are selling because I have had no problems on this little marble slab I use to roll out my pastry dough.. I'm fairly rough with it-- it's also survived several moves (improperly packed).

so..

a) anyone know where I can get marble counters in maryland (or at least get a bid for them)

b) we're also considering soapstone .. finally found 2 places that know about it, have experience with it, and are willing to do our project for an OK price.... our perimeter cabinets are very dark (almost espresso)... island is white. NO uppers (unless you count the big cabinet where our wall oven will be). Some open shelving that will be white (held up by iron brackets). We'll have adequate lighting, two windows, and one all-glass door.

Would the kitchen be too dark if we put soapstone on top of the dark cabinets. I'm not too worried about contrast since we'll have the SS appliances, shelving, white island, and, most likely, white walls.

We have until march to figure all of this out.

Comments (14)

• janefan
    15 years ago

We got our marble from Avanti in Frederick. I looked at a calcutta, I think, but they really steered me away from it. It was a 2cm slab, so that could've been why. I went with carrera and am very happy. The fabricator actually rejected the first slab I selected because they felt it had too many fissures or something like that. I can't believe this, but the name of the fabricator is totally escaping me right now. Might have been Thomas Stone. I'll try to remember for you.

Anyway, my GC, KD, Avanti, and the fabricator were all less than encouraging about using marble, but they did work with me to get the type and slab that they felt most comfortable with me using in my kitchen. Bottom line, I'm thrilled with it.

Not sure where you are in MD, but Avanti is definitely off the beaten path. Although, it's sort of on the way to the Leesburg outlets, going the "back way" on 15--not sure if you know what I mean!

Anyway, hope that helps!

• danielle00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, janefan... any problems with chipping? I'm not so concerned about etching and staining, but big pieces falling off the edge would bother me.

did avanti carry soapstone?

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

Danielle,
    sorry I can't help with a marble supplier in MD, but re: your question about dark counters on dark cabs if you decide to go with soapstone...I think it would be lovely. More and more I'm loving the tone on tone look. And especially with no uppers, you could really brighten the room with paint, or white subway tile or even beadboard on the walls. If you do decide to go with soapstone I would strongly recommend going with one of the companies that specializes in soapstone, or you run the risk of being bombarded with misinformation. Of course, marble would be beautiful too. Can you do both? (that's what I'm doing as I can't decide!) Good luck finding your stone sources - keep us posted!

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

My cabinets are a medium/dark stained cherry with very dark soapstone. I was worried about it being dark, also, but I used a lighter tone backsplash and I don't feel it is too dark at all. We also put in lots and lots of can lights.

Here is a photo.

{{!gwi}}

Anita

• danielle00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks victoria & anita! I saw a kitchen at Design Expo that was dark on dark-- it looked great, esp. with the stainless steel appliances. we don't want our kitchen to look too modern-- so, I thought soapstone could take the edge off the dark cabinets and SS appliances.

I've been in touch with Buck's County Soapstone-- they seem to know what they are doing. I think once we get our sample doors, we'll take a ride out there.

• stei7141
    15 years ago

I'm working with ADI in Rockville (I don't know where you are in Maryland). ADI will be installing our granite when it finally shows up from Brazil. I wanted to say that they have been wonderful in trying to track down different stones in which I was interested, including calling all over the eastern seaboard and trying to work with an importer on Long Island to get me a particular stone. You might give them a call to see if they could help you find an importer with a type of marble you like. Also, many of the importers in the area (from Northern Virginia to Baltimore) have websites that show their stone inventory. You can then search for different marbles. It's just a thought . . . . Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: ADI contact info

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I can't recommend a fabricator but Marva is a pretty good supplier and they have a lot of quartzite in their Beltsville location. You can also try Vinci Stone. Another fabricator and supplier is Arcstone in Capital Heights. I don't know if there are still around. I think several people in the past on this forum have worked through Arcstone.

Good luck!

• doingygirl
    15 years ago

I would definitely recommend Arc Stone. They have the largest selection of stone, including many different marbles, that I've ever seen. I think it would well be worth a visit.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

We saw marble at Universal Marble & Granite in Halethorpe, MD (just south of Baltimore). I did look at it and while I didn't get it they didn't discourage me from considering it for our counters. [I was really looking for a deep black AB but I liked the look & feel of the marble so I strayed!]

They didn't have much soapstone there, though.

Avanti in Frederick, as janefan mentioned, also had marble. I don't remember the if the other places we looked did.

Here is a link that might be useful: Universal Marble and Granite

• joesmith_gardener
    15 years ago

Call Norwood Marble & Granite 301-887-1014. Great selection. Super prices. Most Kitchen & Bath dealers use Norwood for their slabs & fabrication. Norwood has beautiful marble slabs to look at and the latest CNC machines, polishers & saws from Italy. They will work with you to custom layout your slabs. Incredibly professional & personable. Norwood is also the IceStone Distributor for DC/MD/VA; IceStone is the only durable surface with a Cradle to Cradle GOLD certification.

• lagrant
    15 years ago

Universal had the largest selection of marble I found anywhere - calacatta, statuario, carrara - 2cm and 3cm. During my search, someone here on GW had just seen already honed slabs of calacatta at Daltile in Chantilly, VA. I fell in love with them and had my local fabricator (Classic Granite and Marble in Jessup) go get them. My fabrictor, who was amazing, did give me all of the warnings about marble in the kitchen...then followed immediately with "however I grew up with calacatta marble in my mother's kitchen - I think it's wonderful."

• kittymerr
    15 years ago

Hi just wanted to add that we got our soapstone from Bucks County Soapstone. They were awesome to work with, super nice quality people, worth every penny. My seams look amazing almost invisible. We live in Bucks County so it was a no brainer. Also we added a little island later and they were so helpful in selecting another piece that resembled the other counters I had gotten 3 years ago.

• anner55
    15 years ago

I have marble in my kitchen (Winter Cloud from Walker Zanger) and I love it. No chipping. I also have marble in my bathroom (Statuary, also from Walker Zanger) and love it too. No chipping there either. A friend of mine put soapstone in her kitchen and has not been happy with it because it is so soft. Good luck.

• pcjs
    15 years ago

We used Thomas Marble and Granite - small shop, nice to work with in Gaithersburg and Avanti in Frederick for our Granite - Arc was amazing to shop at as they have everything but what we wanted. They aren't fancy, but really good people. They also have Blanco sinks at a great price. A year later we've had no issues.