Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
va_rosemary

What do I need to store dishes in drawers?

va_rosemary
16 years ago

I'm planning on storing my dishes in drawers and wanted to know what I need to put down so they don't slide around. I thought I remembered seeing something on GW awhile ago (can't find it now, of course) that mentioned some kind of product to put at the base of the drawer. And where would be a good place to buy what I need?

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

I've heard about it, too, but can't recall the name of that product. Our cabs were just installed and I went with the dish drawers, too. For convenience sake, I just picked up rolls of "Thick Grip" drawer liner at our local Target. It was $3 for a 12" x 5-foot roll and it's working just fine in all my drawers.

• loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

I have my drawers lined with Cushy cupboards.

• oofasis
    16 years ago

All you need are the Cushy Cupboard liners. That's all I've got, no dividers or anything, and they're wonderful. Google them, as you may find them a little bit cheaper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cushy Cupboards

• holligator
    16 years ago

Are you thinking of dividers like these?

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

I have a host of things and I don't know what cushy cupboards is but if it is a soft rubber liner that you can trim to the size of the drawer base, then that is a definite minimum requirement - and may well be all you need. An example is the blue rubber liner I have in

- most of mine are clear but for some reason I picked up one blue roll. Good thing because a picture with the clear stuff doesn't look like anything at all. In the picture above you can see some the nibs dotting the surface that give that rubber mat some texture, create friction and keep things from sliding. I've used that at the base of all the drawers - and in the pots and pans that's all I've got. I got mine from both IKEA and Williams Sonoma - both have the good quality ones that I liked. The "Container Store" has some which I did buy but I wouldn't recommend them - too slippery, not enough friction, waste of money and the effort to measure and trim them!

For the dishes drawer, I've used the (clear) rubber mat above and

. The smaller bowls stay put on the mat just fine - you can see them at the far end of drawer.

I've also used dividers as in holligator's link, where I store my cleaning supplies and trash bags and such - didn't want the bona floor liquid or the tin of BKF spilling. Obviously no rubber mat needed here though.

If you're looking at dividers, I rather like

for separating and snugly holding up bottles of cooking oil, vinegar, molasses etc. I know you're asking about dishes, but since you're looking at drawer dividers, I thought I'd mention it.

• lisa_sandiego
    16 years ago

Mine look like Holligators' from above. I saw these in a kitchen at Home Depot Expo. My cabinet maker found out the manufacturer and ordered from them.

• alku05
    16 years ago

As long as you have Blumotion slides, the pegboard inserts are unnecessary. Any nonslip liner will prevent items from sliding on the bottom of the drawer. My stacks of plates never shift, no matter how hard the drawer is slammed- that's the beauty of Blumotion!

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

i'd still use the peg boards and guides with blumotion. the higher you stack plates, the less stable they become. the top plates can slide around too easily.

• jmfromil
    16 years ago

I bought Duck nonadhesive cushy solid easy liner from Menards @ $2.50/roll (20 in x 4 ft) for my drawers with blumotion and they work great. We have stacks of 12 Apilco plates, bowls, etc with no problem. But then again we aren't rough when we use the drawers. We've trained our children (10 and 12). :)

• User
    16 years ago

I use cork to line my dish drawer. With Blumotion, I see NO need for the guides. My plates are stacked 20 high and have never slipped. I've even caught my kids trying to slam the drawer and topple dishes. Precisely why I paid all that extra money for the Blumotion.

• alku05
    16 years ago

No sliding with my plates either. The statement I made above was based on experience, not conjecture.

• adoptedbygreyhounds
    16 years ago

My plates and dishes don't move around at all, no problem with stacks of plates, etc. Blumotion is important and well as sturdy, strong drawers warranted to at least 75 pounds, I would guess. My Shiloh drawers are warranted to 100 pounds. I do use the spongy drawer liners but no pegboard. Here's an old photo.

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

ok. i must be wrong. beautiful dish drawers btw, adoptedbygreyhounds.